**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know, that looks like a crack on where the shoe is creasing. I don't think this product could really hold together creacking leather where it flexes. In, my experience once this happens it gradually gets worse. You can condition it and make it much less noticeable with products, but this, I think is here to stay. Regardless, I am ordering some anyway. :lol: I do know that Nick V. At VIP shoe service in Manhattan has taken shoes apart and patched them from the inside. The jobs come out looking really good, however I would imagine it costs a fortune and may change the shape and feel of the shoe if one doesn't have the original last. He said mostly people do it if there shoes have a special meaning to them, like their father's shoes and whatnot.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

3. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

Got my first pair of high end shoes, Stuart's Choice Desraili Cap-Toe, you guys recommend cream base polish or wax base?

4. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

Gdot have you used AE neutral wax before? I picked up a tin yesterday in the AE store in New Orleans.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

read the thread and then ask again...

6. Pieceofsand

lol I'm not going to read through 45 pages of content. It takes you equal amount of time to give me the answer as oppose to your actual response. I'll research it lol. Thanks anyways.

7. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

It a good idea to read through the thread if only for all the excellant information pertaining to shoe care that's to be had. Anyway I would go cream for most of the shoe with wax polish for the cap-toe, there is no hard and fast rule.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is not true...

9. Wedin

Wedin Member

Take your time and read the thread. TONS of good advice. A learning experience!

As for me. I would only use cream if the color pigment of the shoe needed it.
    Wax all the way.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  10. Pieceofsand

Will do gents!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I'm pretty sure I read about this somewhere in this massive thread, but I can't find it again.

I recently switched over to a Renovateur/AE cream regimen for my AE collection, hitting the shoes with renomat on the first go around on all the shoes before switching over. This stuff really works! It smells great and the shoes seem to shine up without much effort. It does a great job of making my shoes look less "thirsty". My brown shoes have darkened a little bit though, but my walnut strands have gone from flashy to rich and classy with the darkening imo.

I noticed 2 phenomena that I hope I can get some insight to

1. When using the reno, i applied it with my fingers as many posters have suggested. The reno takes off quite a bit of previous polish and turns my fingers brown/black! Is it only me?
    2. I applied reno but evenly "spotting" a small portion of the leather upper then using my fingers to spread the dots of reno. After the polish, I found that on my dark brown shoes, the areas where I originally put down my spots have lightened (only visible under close scrutiny in bright light). I am hoping that these spots will go away with future polishings as more color cream is applied. Any insights?

Thanks!

12. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i prefer saddle soap as a cleaner. is this only a preference or does reno offer something not found in ss?

14. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

So then, do you use saddle soap and then a "conditioner," or just saddle soap and then the polish?

15. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

I mention reno because the poster had a question which related to it's use.

It's milder than saddle soap & easier to apply.