1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ColinYB

ColinYB Active Member

Ok good, I'm picturing a multi year process, just layers on layers of cream polish of varying shades of brown

2. visigoth

visigoth Active Member

Thank you! Good to know.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

This is an interesting picture of two pairs of Edward Green shoes that began the same color (Burgundy Antique) and were polished over time with different shades of polish. It goes to show you what time and polish can do.

4. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

Can anyone recommend a cream that has minimal odor? Closet smells like Renoventeur all week...

5. ColinYB

ColinYB Active Member

Thank you! Every Google search for patina gave me more the dye route and I was looking for precisely this, a comparison.

6. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Any tips for how to do this? Just put some on a cloth and shove your fingers in blind?

7. whoisthis

whoisthis Active Member

delete

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

8. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Collonil Creme de Luxe has almost no smell. Best wishes, Munky.

9. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

GlenKaren cream have a nice citrus scent. Also I like very much their cleaner/conditioner.

10. visigoth

visigoth Active Member

If you've already shined shoes with wax (Saphir Mirror Gloss), can you apply cream polish over the wax? And if you can, does it just add a layer to the bull-shining process, or does it take you back to stage one? Many of these polishes are wax based -- do they just blend in?

(I know it takes a long time to get a full change of color, but for subtle patina, I find black polish works on brown shoes.)

11. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior Member

Ever seen "repairs" like this before?

12. ColinYB

ColinYB Active Member

Do you keep Chelsea boots with special ankle boot trees or use regular shoe trees?

I store my Chelsea boots with regular shoe trees for reference, simply because I can't seem to find ankle boot trees anywhere easily. Even Loake, from whom I bought my Chelsea's do not carry boot trees, AFAIK

13. troika

troika Distinguished Member

There are a couple places that make boot trees iirc. But I just use regular shoe trees and then stuff the toe paper that came with the boots on top of the tree. Works fine and doesn't stretch out the gore while keeping the shape.

14. MattJB

MattJB Member

I just picked up my first pair of decent dress shoes (Allen Edmonds) and I a little lost as to care for them, I'm finding conflicting and confusing information all over the place. Initially I'm looking for shoe trees, but they're about 70 dollars for the Woodlore twin tube in Canada. Is that normal?! That price seems insane.

Also, I haven't worn them yet, and will be waiting until a wedding I have in the spring, is there anything that needs to be done to them in the meantime? After I wear them do I just brush them off, and only polish them when they're looking dull?

I've also heard of some sore of sole protector to make the leather sole last longer. Is this something most people do?

15. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

I use these and they’re perfect.