• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColinYB

Reaction score
You probably have to strip them. AE's have a fairly heavy topcoat so if you're going to be doing dyeing with Feibings or something that needs to be completely off. Also if you are just going to be using colored polishes to try to achieve antiquing you might run into some problems. It takes a very long time to change the color of shoes using colored polishes only. if you try to do it in a sitting you are mostly going to apply too much and gunk up the shoe not actually antique it.

Ok good, I'm picturing a multi year process, just layers on layers of cream polish of varying shades of brown

visigoth

Reaction score
Yes, I am familiar with it. It is lighter than renovateur and doesn't buff to as high of a shine, but it seems to do just as good a job of conditioning. I am thinking there's more water in it than renovateur and also has jojoba oil rather than mink oil. Probably explains the price difference.

Yes, you can. I use water based conditioners inside my shoes. Actually shoemakers say you should condition shoe linings, and often for that matter.

Thank you! Good to know.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
egb11.jpg

This is an interesting picture of two pairs of Edward Green shoes that began the same color (Burgundy Antique) and were polished over time with different shades of polish. It goes to show you what time and polish can do.

ColinYB

Reaction score
egb11.jpg

This is an interesting picture of two pairs of Edward Green shoes that began the same color (Burgundy Antique) and were polished over time with different shades of polish. It goes to show you what time and polish can do.

Thank you! Every Google search for patina gave me more the dye route and I was looking for precisely this, a comparison.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can. I use water based conditioners inside my shoes. Actually shoemakers say you should condition shoe linings, and often for that matter.

Any tips for how to do this? Just put some on a cloth and shove your fingers in blind?

visigoth

Reaction score
If you've already shined shoes with wax (Saphir Mirror Gloss), can you apply cream polish over the wax? And if you can, does it just add a layer to the bull-shining process, or does it take you back to stage one? Many of these polishes are wax based -- do they just blend in?

(I know it takes a long time to get a full change of color, but for subtle patina, I find black polish works on brown shoes.)

ColinYB

Reaction score
Do you keep Chelsea boots with special ankle boot trees or use regular shoe trees?

I store my Chelsea boots with regular shoe trees for reference, simply because I can't seem to find ankle boot trees anywhere easily. Even Loake, from whom I bought my Chelsea's do not carry boot trees, AFAIK

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you keep Chelsea boots with special ankle boot trees or use regular shoe trees?

I store my Chelsea boots with regular shoe trees for reference, simply because I can't seem to find ankle boot trees anywhere easily. Even Loake, from whom I bought my Chelsea's do not carry boot trees, AFAIK

There are a couple places that make boot trees iirc. But I just use regular shoe trees and then stuff the toe paper that came with the boots on top of the tree. Works fine and doesn't stretch out the gore while keeping the shape.

MattJB

Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of decent dress shoes (Allen Edmonds) and I a little lost as to care for them, I'm finding conflicting and confusing information all over the place. Initially I'm looking for shoe trees, but they're about 70 dollars for the Woodlore twin tube in Canada. Is that normal?! That price seems insane.

Also, I haven't worn them yet, and will be waiting until a wedding I have in the spring, is there anything that needs to be done to them in the meantime? After I wear them do I just brush them off, and only polish them when they're looking dull?

I've also heard of some sore of sole protector to make the leather sole last longer. Is this something most people do?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of decent dress shoes (Allen Edmonds) and I a little lost as to care for them, I'm finding conflicting and confusing information all over the place. Initially I'm looking for shoe trees, but they're about 70 dollars for the Woodlore twin tube in Canada. Is that normal?! That price seems insane

I use these and they’re perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads