• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LeviStubbsTears

Reaction score
Really hard to tell from these photos but I doubt that those are welted. Look like Blake to me...in which case there is no welt--you are about to wear into another layer of soling. Doing so will not be as bad as wearing into an actual welt.

But to answer your question, it is still possible to mount toe plates. They tend to come off prematurely when mounted on a worn toe, however.
Thanks for the information!

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At what point does wear become a problem that complicates resoling? I would assume if the welt gets bitten into it would need to be replaced as well (and on these particular loafers I could probably replace the whole shoe for cheaper.) Is it too late to try and use toe caps to squeeze some more life out of these as the sole doesn't feel too thin anywhere except the toe.

View attachment 798986 View attachment 798987
If the soles are still firm and showing some life left in them, a competent repair shop can just replace the worn area with new leather tips.

bloodybrilliant

Reaction score
IMG_0700.JPG
Some shoeshine.

Best
BB

Jake Tough

Reaction score
Shoe polishing has various techniques and products. Each of us has his and is perhaps looking for more knowledge about it.

In today's thread, I decided to share with you my 6 steps process to getting your shoes a mirror shine.

For those who are new to this, Shoe polishing is a must. Not only does it protect your shoes and extend their life, but it also keeps them shinier and proper which is paramount to your image and outfit.

There are different products in the market today. I personally recommend Kiwi Shoe Polish. If your shoes are still new, you could go with a neutral Shoe polish. Otherwise, use the same color as your shoes (or the closest it could be).

There's also a minimal kit you must have before tackling the process:
  • A Large Brush
  • A Small Brush
  • A Shoe Cloth
  • Something to protect the floor with (A sheet or newspaper)
  1. First off, I start by choosing the appropriate place for the process. I protect the floor with a large piece of sheet in case. I also put a shoe tree inside the shoe to ensure an optimal polishing. Consider removing the shoe laces before going to the next step.
  2. Second, I take the large brush and rub the shoe energetically to eliminate the dirt off the shoe.
  3. Once the shoe is clean, I take the small brush and apply evenly the shoe polish all over it. Make sure to attain the seems and joint between the upper and the sole.
  4. Now, let your shoe dry out for about 30 minutes.
  5. Take the shoe cloth and start rubbing your shoe until you bring the gloss out of the shoe.
  6. Do the same process for the second shoe.
Feel free to share your own method to shine your shoes and the products you're using yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiner

Reaction score
I am more of a carnuba wax guy. After brushing my shoes I use a cream polish. Cotton cloth and fingers to apply. Let dry and brush. Then I apply a small amount of wax. Set aside a few minutes and with a dab of water work the wax in circular motions. Then a dab of Ventien shoe cream and work with circular motions. Finally a final wax and water round. When dry brush and use finishing cloth. This will last a good month as long as I brush the shoes after each wear.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horsehair brush to clean

Cotton cloth to apply conditioner circular motion

Brush to apply wax all over

Buff using horsehair brush

Chamois cloth rub all over

Water + wax using two fingers in cotton cloth in circular motion

Now just one thing: how do you avoid getting shoe polish onto the shoe trees?

Jake Tough

Reaction score
I am more of a carnuba wax guy. After brushing my shoes I use a cream polish. Cotton cloth and fingers to apply. Let dry and brush. Then I apply a small amount of wax. Set aside a few minutes and with a dab of water work the wax in circular motions. Then a dab of Ventien shoe cream and work with circular motions. Finally a final wax and water round. When dry brush and use finishing cloth. This will last a good month as long as I brush the shoes after each wear.
Heard that using wax is not recommended since it prevents the leather from breathing. Technically it is true but don't know if it could engender any harm to the leather.

Jake Tough

Reaction score
Horsehair brush to clean

Cotton cloth to apply conditioner circular motion

Brush to apply wax all over

Buff using horsehair brush

Chamois cloth rub all over

Water + wax using two fingers in cotton cloth in circular motion

Now just one thing: how do you avoid getting shoe polish onto the shoe trees?

I don't see how the polish could attain the shoe tree. It never happened to me anyway.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the polish could attain the shoe tree. It never happened to me anyway.

Well what I mean is I keep the trees inside while polishing and while brushing I suppose some of the polish rubs onto the trees.

Shiner

Reaction score
Well what I mean is I keep the trees inside while polishing and while brushing I suppose some of the polish rubs onto the trees.
You can always lightly sand your cedar shoe trees if that ever happens.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of GYW shoes that have a raised storm welt. I want to take an exacto knife and cut the raised part all around so they would have more of a dressy look. I think I read that this raised welt is just decorative. So mainly concerned about structural issues that may arise. Other pros/cons. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads