1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

You are full of contradictions and need to remind yourself of your own posts in this very thread. Perhaps the sun did more than just bleach your shoes [​IMG]

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member

Lexol on my briefcase and leather couch.

3. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Good stuff Lexol, EU regs have made it impossible to get hold of in the UK however.

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

What? Seriously? I have ordered it twice; one time from a retailer in the U.S. and once from eBay. May I ask what kind of EU regs?

5. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

EU regulations don't necessarily apply to Norway though.

6. SHS

SHS Senior member

What about renovateur? Is it too harsh for belts and briefcases? And is Nivea a good alternative? :decisions:

Edit: I guess I don't dare to use it (reno) on luggage, even if someone recommends it. I would like to hear if anyone has experience with using it on anything other than shoes though.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

Nothing wrong with using reno on bags and belts. I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere that Hermes use it on their bags (I could be wrong on this). The reason I don't use it on my bags and belts is simply because Lexol is cheaper, and I'm not as particular with bags and belts as I am with shoes. I don't understand why you would think renovateur is harsh...

8. mymil

mymil Senior member

Leather conditioner is conditioner for leather. Not conditioner for shoes. Just try it and see how it goes.

9. SHS

SHS Senior member

Thank you. I am a bit careful with reno because I had a bad experience with some shoes that began to lose their colour when I polished them. They actually looked like they had been antiqued, but I didn't like it. I had to strip them down with nailpolish remover and acetone and repaint them with leather dye. I guess it was the shoes and not the reno that was to blame. I have had no problem with using reno or other saphir products on my better shoes. Also, could someone elaborate on the idea of using Nivea? I am still not totally sure whether it was a joke or not? I am not trying to ridicule anyone (or myself), but would genuinely want to know. :nodding:

10. SHS

SHS Senior member

So, if I understand you correctly, you recommend using reno on other leather than shoes?

1 person likes this.
  11. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I had purchased two jars of Saphir Renovateur, and gave one to my wife.

She uses it on her Berluti leather accessories and seems to have no problem with it.

I used to moisturize my briefcases with Renovateur, but now I just use the Saphir leather lotion. It seems that the leather lotion is like Reno-lite.

I really enjoy using both the Renovateur and the leather lotion. I can apply with my finger

12. SHS

SHS Senior member

Great, thanks.

13. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

This is actually one of the features that is desirable about reno. By removing some of the colour you get more of a three dimentional look in the leather instead of the flat and two dimentional look they usually have. Antiquing is of course a personal choice, but it's almost impossible to not get when you're using and polishing shoes.

It's advised to apply reno with a cotton cloth(t-shirt/shoe bag) if I'm not mistaken.

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Just think about that statement.

Does that even make sense? does it even sound logical?

Nothing beats the finger, in my opinion.

15. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

About the Nivea, a LOT of wallet enthusiast on some forum use it on their vegetable tanned leather wallet (some use it on belts too). The Patina (or what else I called for their experiment) looks well for that veg tan things but the Veg Tan leather tends to absorb all kind of solvent right? So not just Nivea, anything which in liquid could create some patina in that Veg Tan leather IMO
    I'm not sure the effect of Nivea in shoes that mostly not a Veg Tan based.

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Myron Glaser recommend Nivea for his bags.

17. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Anyone familiar with Edward Green's Dark Oak? I'm about to get a pair of Dovers in with that material... want to be prepared!

18. AML225

AML225 Senior member

I have to respectfully disagree. When you apply with your finger you are essentially rubbing any excess polish the Reno would remove around the surface of the shoe. When you apply with a cotton cloth it gets absorbed into the cloth. Just try it. When I Reno my strands with a cloth the cloth turns brown with excess polish and grime that previous steps didn't remove.

EDIT- I should also add I have never applied any product but Reno from my aforementioned strands. The grime that ends up in my cloth is not from prior improper care but from over coloring by AE and natural leeching over time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

^ this. Reno is also a cleaner and takes of both dirt and some wax/cream. By using your fingers you're just moving it around on the leather which may give a undesirable effect.

1 person likes this.
  20. SHS

SHS Senior member

Thank you all.