Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

+1 and why would any shoe lover want one? when polishing you're own footwear is so therapeutic.

2. AlphadominatorJ

AlphadominatorJ New Member

3. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Sir!

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

For calf, I agree because a lighter touch is better but for not so much for shell where I'm vigourously brushing with a lot of pressure using a horsehair brush to get that glow. It's probably just my technique since I'm quite new to shell cordovan maintenance, but I've often thought that a powered rotating brush would be great.

I'm hoping to learn something here so what is your preferred method for getting a shine on shell cordovan?

5. Lear

Lear Senior member

I now realize how individual the care/polishing procedure is for each person. All have slightly different ways of achieving the same result. When this thread began, I thought we'd all come to a common conclusion regarding best methods.

Guess that's the fun part; there is no best method :D. There is no quick fix. You have to enjoy messing around with wax/cream to find your method. You need to make mistakes, mess it up, recover, learn from those mistakes.

I realize I'm repeating myself from earlier in this thread. Just think it's worth bringing up every now and again.

Let's see more on suede care.

Lear

6. Northampton Novice

Personally I don't like a high shine on the few pairs of Shell I own, there's something unseemly about having shell shine like a mirror.

In terms of a rich glow which I like, I use Saphir Cordovan cream every 10-12 wears & reno every 5-6 wears. I do know what you mean regards the copious brushing shell needs, particularly in it's first year but I enjoy brushing - just get the biggest Horsehair brush you can find; anything over 20cms works well.

7. Gerry Nelson

Sorry, I meant the rich glow on the shell which comes out like a dull shine. How often do you brush shell?

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly. good input, well done.

9. Onlyoneoklahoma

Onlyoneoklahoma Active Member

I am about to strip and reshine some shoes and I am curious about saphir dubbin. Do I need to buff it off after applying? Or does it absorb into leather?

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

don't put it on dress shoes. It's for boots, and perhaps the soles of shoes.

11. Northampton Novice

Ah ok. A good brush after each wear as it helps to get rid of dust & redistribute the natural oils in the Shell.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo, it depends which result you're going for. e.g. i prefer a matte look and i use a thin layer(similar product) when storing my shoes away. i also recommend it for sole protection. good input.

one thing, i have learned in approx. twentyfive years of taking care of my shoes. you hardly can mess them up when you act careful and use your brain, gut feeling whatever. in addition. leather is a natural product so there are variations which come easier to mind with experience.

there are many roads to rome. see above.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the fun part is telling people that their method is wrong. :devil:

14. Gerry Nelson

You evangelist, you!

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Quote:
    I give a quick wipe-down with a damp paper towel after wearing (or usually within 24 hours of wearing, if I can't do it right when I get home for some reason), followed by a quick 5 minute brushing with a horsehair brush. My current favorite brushes are "star" brand, from Brazil I think. They make a big brush, and a very big brush. I like the latter.

About once every 3 months, I sit down with a jar of Saphir Renovateur and treat all my shell shoes. The treatment is just a thin application of reno, let it dry, brush off. Based on the number of shoes in my rotation, that works out to be an application of Reno about every 5-6 wears. I also tend to do my sole edge treatment at the same time as my Reno application, though sometimes I'm lazy with that.