• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love a good popover and I'm digging this shirt I just saw on the site... Anyone tried it in person?

bwfilms

Reaction score
RRL excels in American Heritage. Anyone knows and can recommend similar brands focusing on other countries (e.g. France, Italy)? In particular, I'm looking for the kinds of clothes Jude Law wears in the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley. Thanks...

keepondigging

Reaction score
RRL excels in American Heritage. Anyone knows and can recommend similar brands focusing on other countries (e.g. France, Italy)? In particular, I'm looking for the kinds of clothes Jude Law wears in the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley. Thanks...

For the Dickie Greenleaf look you'd have to look towards the realm of 'soft tailoring'. Italian brands like Rubinacci and Barena would be a good start, and also Drake's for its 'English style as seen through the eyes of the Italian' concept. There is also a small, but up and coming brand based in London, called Scott Fraser Collection. Scott takes alot of influence from light and breezy riviera styles, combining wide cut double pleated pants with colourblocked 50's style knit polos/cardigans. These kind of items resonate alot with the Dickie look.

None of these brands will offer the same 'universe' as RRL does with Americana and Military/Workwear, but they are a good starting point for this kind of style.

bwfilms

Reaction score
For the Dickie Greenleaf look you'd have to look towards the realm of 'soft tailoring'. Italian brands like Rubinacci and Barena would be a good start, and also Drake's for its 'English style as seen through the eyes of the Italian' concept. There is also a small, but up and coming brand based in London, called Scott Fraser Collection. Scott takes alot of influence from light and breezy riviera styles, combining wide cut double pleated pants with colourblocked 50's style knit polos/cardigans. These kind of items resonate alot with the Dickie look.

None of these brands will offer the same 'universe' as RRL does with Americana and Military/Workwear, but they are a good starting point for this kind of style.

Thank you! I took a brief look at Scott Fraser Collection, and many items look spot-on. Those stripe color-block knit shirts, Riviera shorts, and jackets with lido-collars are what I was looking for. I previously found knit shirts like that on Amazon, but they seem cheap and tacky. These look a lot nicer. If you own any of these items and can comment on their quality, please DM me. Apologies to everyone for going off-topic in this RRL thread.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the subject of Scott Frasier, also have a look at David Hart, especially his knit polo offerings:

noretailplease

Reaction score
Your thoughts, all, on the attached button and zip jackets?

I personally like the button jacket more, but it's $2200, no sale yet, stock low.

The zipper is used, TRR, but I really don't like the chest zippers and the back looks awkward / too 70s. Still too high at around $600. I like the patina on both.

x
front button.jpeg
rear button.jpeg
front zipper.jpeg
zip rear.jpeg

Dstorm

Reaction score
I picked up the top jacket over the weekend. Perhaps a bit pricey at $2200 but the quality of leather is more robust and much nicer than previous RRL leathers.
It will last me for many years to come.

noretailplease

Reaction score
I picked up the top jacket over the weekend. Perhaps a bit pricey at $2200 but the quality of leather is more robust and much nicer than previous RRL leathers.
It will last me for many years to come.

Thank you. Could you post a pic of it? I called the NYC store -- their sales rep was quite keen on it too.

Dstorm

Reaction score
Yes, I will post some pics on it tomorrow. Not at home at the moment. Leather feels thick and has a very vintage and classic look.

aquila49

Reaction score
Your thoughts, all, on the attached button and zip jackets?

I personally like the button jacket more, but it's $2200, no sale yet, stock low.

The zipper is used, TRR, but I really don't like the chest zippers and the back looks awkward / too 70s. Still too high at around $600. I like the patina on both.

x View attachment 1324410 View attachment 1324411 View attachment 1324412 View attachment 1324413

I don't know. I own the Owens (leather jacket with zippers) and IMO it's awesome. Also, I doubt any jacket would look good on that mannequin.

I probably get more compliments on the Owens jacket than any other RRL garment I own. If it's in good shape and you can grab it for 600.00, I say go for it.

I've never seen the other jacket in person, but I'm guessing the leather is not as thick as you would find with the Owens. At least, that's been the trend with RRL leather jackets in recent years. (The Owens is from 2014, when men were more inclined toward a Trotskyite appreciation for leather jackets.)

This is all subjective, of course. My opinion may not align with that of others. :)

noretailplease

Reaction score
I don't know. I own the Owens (leather jacket with zippers) and IMO it's awesome. Also, I doubt any jacket would look good on that mannequin.

I probably get more compliments on the Owens jacket than any other RRL garment I own. If it's in good shape and you can grab it for 600.00, I say go for it.

I've never seen the other jacket in person, but I'm guessing the leather is not as thick as you would find with the Owens. At least, that's been the trend with RRL leather jackets in recent years. (The Owens is from 2014, when men were more inclined toward a Trotskyite appreciation for leather jackets.)

This is all subjective, of course. My opinion may not align with that of others. :)

thank you! Can you post a photo please - of the back too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads