• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deez nuts
thanks for all the tips guys. i did do some more research on the interwebz and found that lock stitching is better than chain stitching. so... for both chinos and denim, if i get them euro hemmed, will i be in good shape?

facepalm.gif

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always get jeans hemmed with a chain stitch machine. It's costly (you'll probably have to ship them to NYC,SF, or Seattle area-Blue Owl, on top of the $25 for hemming), but if you're attentive to detail, it's the best choice by far.

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from what i've read, the chain stitch starts to unravel vs the lock stitch...
in any case i was leaning more towards getting both denim and chinos euro-hemmed.
thoughts anyone?

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, get them euro-hemmed. that'll be dope.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Euro hem is when they fold it up and keep the original hem? Looks like crap to be honest!

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked up this great belt at the outlet. green canvas with brown leather trim on both sides, not sure from which collection though.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool. you're saying it's a surcingle? i had a double o-ring surcingle with an anchor embossed on one side. it was made from such thick ballistic nylon that the knot was huge so i returned it.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
Always get jeans hemmed with a chain stitch machine. It's costly (you'll probably have to ship them to NYC,SF, or Seattle area-Blue Owl, on top of the $25 for hemming), but if you're attentive to detail, it's the best choice by far.

I recently got the Mauro jeans(Men Without a Country) for $57, chainstitched hem service is about 50% of the price I paid. Would that make me an attention whore?

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
cool. you're saying it's a surcingle? i had a double o-ring surcingle with an anchor embossed on one side. it was made from such thick ballistic nylon that the knot was huge so i returned it.

not a surcingle... here's a crappy iphone pic of it. you're right tho, its a lot thicker than other belts i own.

01d9cf6b.jpg

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"bourgeoisie's fantasy about the common man" for sure!

I also like to dress like a pretend cowboy. "cityslicker cowboy fantasy" too?

Having laughed at and with ourselves, I will say that their denim and their selvedge shirts are top-notch regardless of the wearer's fantasies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some funny ebay finds:

This guy was previously using a stolen pic from bluepresent posing guy. He must have gotten called out on it, because now he's just showing the vest. I think its value went up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-RRL...#ht_720wt_1139

I know this is a holiday sweater, but I somehow think it's really cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ralph-Lauren...9#ht_658wt_905

This is one of those "really cool, but would you actually wear it?" pieces:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ralph-Lauren-RRL...#ht_4430wt_905

And here are a couple PRL sweaters that almost look like RRL:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ralph-Lauren-Pol...1#ht_714wt_905
http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-Pol...ht_4894wt_1139

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rayson
A chain-stitching service preserves rather than enhances the twined rope effect. Stick the term in google images as phx suggests. Vintage and decent vintage-style jeans have ornamental chain-stitched hems. The hems of modern mass-produced jeans are lock-stitched, which is strong and plain. If you want to shorten your jeans and keep them chain-stitched, somebody has to do them on an old machine. Far as the US goes, Self Edge have Union Specials and offer the service.

Originally Posted by srgprod
Deez:

The Euro hem uses a technique that preserves the original hem from the manufacturer. It works great and is much easier to have done than finding a chain stitch service. Costs about 1-2 $ more but worth it.

for fuxx sake
facepalm.gif

Don't do anything that is advertised as "original hem", that **** looks horrible. Much better to do a plain $5 hem

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads