• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
+1 on Lukshon. Haven't been there in a while, but had several really nice meals.
The place across the way (both are in the Helms Bakery complex) seems to be blessed or cursed depending on your perspective. I loved Beacon, and the pasta place that followed it and closed fairly recently (brain cramping on the name) was good, too.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally avoid restaurant weeks because they're kind of miserable. Is dineLA any different or should I uphold my policy?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I normally avoid restaurant weeks because they're kind of miserable. Is dineLA any different or should I uphold my policy?

I think it really depends on the place. I tend to avoid the "nicer" restaurants that might attract more of a crowd that wouldn't normally go otherwise… generally seem to be hit or miss with more of the latter. I did have a good lunch at Fundamental which always has interesting food and a nice dinner at FIG in SaMo, although they do not seem to be participating this time.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

Bucato is the pasta place. Been meaning to try that one as well.

That's it - thanks.
Oh, and I obviously misspoke when I said it had closed. I was (mis)remembering that Evan Funke left his post as chef there this past May.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had actuslly never been to Jitlada before. What a bizarre experience. I knew it was a dive, but what a dump inside--not just worn down but pretty close to straight-up gross. And then you look at the menu and see lots of $25-$50 dishes and think, "WTF?" The first dish I tried (mussels in broth with green sauce) was so good it had me almost convinced that the dumpiness didn't matter and that I should return to order some $40 fish or something. Then everything else was kind of meh.

Meh.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are a few exceptions - I know some comedy guys who are into dressing. Rob Corddry and Jason Mantzoukas did cameos in our last season of Put This On. Both do pretty well for themselves. Moshe Kasher's really well dressed. Paul Feig. Paul F. Tompkins. Dave Holmes. Though I guess that's like seven out of a thousand.

JL77

Reaction score
We have a growing customer base of comedians that come and shop at SELA pretty consistently. It's been interesting to watch it spread through their scene.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We like going to Petrossian at 321 North Robertson (a block north of Beverly Blvd) for lunch. I usually have the Chicken Salad and my friend has one of the caviar things. The Chicken Salad looks like this.......

We usually share a Vanilla Panna Cotta with Expresso Caviar for dessert (or we walk a few blocks south to Georgetown Cupcake and share a vanilla cupcake).

Petrossian has all sorts of special caviar tasting events in the evenings and now has a Pate menu again. However, we never go to Petrossian, or any other restaurant that participates in DineLA, during the two weeks of DineLA, which is why we went to Mauro's at Fred Segal this week. (Mauro's was rather noisy but we had fun looking around in Fred Segal.)

Before and after lunch, we walk around on Robertson and look at things in the stores. The Los Angeles branch of Suit Supply is opening a block north of Petrossian later this year, however, the Barker Black store across the street closed a while back, and the Ralph Lauren store a few blocks south recently closed. (The fixtures were being moved out when we walked by.)

http://www.petrossian.com/restaurant-west-hollywood-restaurant-and-boutique-7.html

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Gracias Madre for the first time last night. Drinks were excellent, very unique, food was good, wasn't expecting much, I mean as far as Vegan Mexican goes I guess it can't be beat. Real pretty restaurant and great patio.

Holy smoke shows batman! That place was seriously flooded with smoking hot instagram/fashion blogger type of chicks. That and the drinks made the night worth it.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

instagram/fashion blogger type of chicks. That and the drinks made the night worth it.

Maybe the image I'm getting isn't the one you mean to convey, but I'd take that as an indicator that it'll prove an obnoxious place to drink. LA has no shortage of beautiful women. Different strokes and all that, but my own tastes run more to those who don't make you immediately think, "wow, she must be an instagrammer or fashion blogger!""
:cheers:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe the image I'm getting isn't the one you mean to convey, but I'd take that as an indicator that it'll prove an obnoxious place to drink. LA has no shortage of beautiful women. Different strokes and all that, but my own tastes run more to those who don't make you immediately think, "wow, she must be an instagrammer or fashion blogger!""
:cheers:

Agreed… but theeeeeen, when they start talkING like thiiiiiiiissss, and sayING everyTHING as if it's a quessssTION for no apparent reeeeeaSON except for the fact that mayyyyyyyBE they've been partiALLY lobotoMIZZZZZZED… anyway, ******* idiots the lot of 'em.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrieMeyers