• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Leather Artisans Appreciation Thread

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a reason none of our leather-goods affiliates make vegetable tanned watch straps?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch straps are a bit different from bags, wallets and such. Just like gloves, different tools and different, though similar, skills are needed.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Hollows has made some nice watch straps. I've never been able to find any buckles that I like, and the only decent ones I've seen are the massive Panerai-style buckles.

Last edited:

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone weight in on the thickness of Unlucky's belts? Looks like he's got horsehide in 1/8" and cowhide in 1/4" thick. Leaning toward the cowhide because I'm not a huge fan of really grainy leather, but 1/4" seems REALLY thick for a belt unless I'm missing something. Any other options? Found these in the thread and believe they're what I'd expect from 1/4" cowhide:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1/4" is very thick- about equivalent to 16oz. My preferred weight for belts is about 9-10oz, but many leathercrafters are using about 10-12oz.

On most sides of cowhide, they tend to be thicker at one end. You can see that the leather near the buckle is thinner than at the end of the belt.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 zissou, 1/4" is a bit much.

While I don't produce belts for sale at this point, I use 9-10oz for my own.

summ3rhays

Reaction score
Excited to get my Unlucky wallet. He emailed me this picture and is dropping it in the mail today. Pretty cool to find a local guy with great quality. He was really nice to work with as well which makes all the difference in the world.

Duke Hunt

Reaction score
Here is a wallet I had made recently by Scott (Unlucky). It's made from Hermann Oak leather in natural veg tan. Leash is made from Kangaroo leather.

Interior is red dyed pig skin:

Belt is a 15oz Wicket and Craig skirting leather:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeking advice from you experienced & knowledgeable leather guys.

Is this a defect that would fall into the "returnable" category? i purchased this belt at a reputable retailer (made by a reputable maker), it's veg tanned and dyed Latigo color. I'm sure both the retailer and maker would happily work with me, I just don't kow if it's a defect or character mark? I didn't notice the damage/imperfection (for lack of a better term) until I got it home and was applying a coat of conditioner.

I'm not concerned with the dark circle (pictured in 1st image above) but rather the imperfections along the lower edge. My gut is telling me to exchange it.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can't hurt to ask for an exchange if you aren't happy with it. It's a bit much of a blemish. If it was someplace not too visible, it wouldn't bother me. Otherwise, I might be a little bothered.

Crump's Brother

Reaction score
anyone know who to hit up to commission a tri fold wallet??

checked some sites and galleries and only finding bill fold

looking to get one for my father in law

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads