• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you are probably right. I once worked for a summer for a fundraising company that solicited donations from university alumni. The telephone script they gave us had us start off by asking the person for $1600. Then we'd go down to $800, then to $400, then $200, and then $100. The real goal was actually to get a $100 donation. By the time we got there, most alumni felt lucky to get off the phone with only a $100 donation. Terrible job, but somewhat instructive for me.

Who are the idiot alumni taking those calls (no doubt around dinner time)?? I’d refuse to donate unless via email/website.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok. My undergrad alma-mater still calls me around 7pm once a month soliciting donations. In the 12 years since I graduated, I have answered (to ***** them out) maybe twice.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat! Thanks for posting. I love their slim-fit dress shirts. TTS but without extra billowy fabric. Good source for quality, inexpensive white dress shirts as they wear out fast in this climate.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is correct. Here is Kent Wang’s suit price list by levels of fabric. The CMT option at the top is for fabric the client provides.

806E7A91-8577-40EB-8411-41305FE9E62F.jpeg

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
Anybody use a good shirt maker in town that could do a CMT job?
Looks like Ledbury may.

Made-to-Measure is a process based on a block pattern that we tailor fit to your body. From collar to cuff, lapel to lining, every design element is in your hands. The end result is a garment that is uniquely yours. Available for shirting and suiting. Shirting begins at $200. Suiting begins at $1500.

BESPOKE

Bespoke offers complete customization. We take a full set of measurements for each customer. Our master tailor then drafts your pattern and handcrafts a shirt specific to your measurements and design choices. We create a shirt that fits perfectly and is truly one-of-a-kind. Bespoke begins at $295.

Last edited by a moderator:

omgitswes

Reaction score
I have a NOVA question. I have to go to McLean a couple of days next week. Coming from Pentagon City, would it be better to drive or take the metro? I'll be going near the Greensboro station. Looks like 45 min metro trip compared to a 30 min drive. Not sure if Google maps is factoring in traffic accurately

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're going against traffic driving west in the morning and east in the evening, so the commute shouldn't be that bad. That said, I hate driving and when I owned a car only drove when I absolutely had to.

Last edited:

bobbers

Reaction score
I can confirm that ah one does sunken front taps. However I read on the Alden thread that he was closing his shop due to health reasons.

The AH One storefront in Springfield is indeed closed, but Aram is still doing repair work. You can ship your work to him, or if you live in the local DC/MD/VA area he can meet you to pick up shoe for repair. I have some front taps currently in process and can share photos when I get them back.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a NOVA question. I have to go to McLean a couple of days next week. Coming from Pentagon City, would it be better to drive or take the metro? I'll be going near the Greensboro station. Looks like 45 min metro trip compared to a 30 min drive. Not sure if Google maps is factoring in traffic accurately

Agree with Ambulance Chaser. I own a car and use it only for "recreation", and metro in to work (Alexandria to Union Station). When deciding, also consider the following:
  • Cost of driving (including insurance, parking, gas) vs Metro fare.
  • What you could do on a Metro ride - not really obvious, but I've found I get work done on my AM and PM metro rides, or I can catch up on books, or nap if needed.
  • Potential frustration levels - what will boil your blood more - car and traffic issues, or crowded and delayed trains/buses?
  • Ickiness - would you sweat more in your car or on the metro? This could affect what you wear on a given day...

Last edited:

omgitswes

Reaction score
I think you're going against traffic driving west in the morning and east in the evening, so the commute shouldn't be that bad. That said, I hate driving and when I owned a car only drove when I absolutely had to.
Agree with Ambulance Chaser. I own a car and use it only for "recreation", and metro in to work (Alexandria to Union Station). When deciding, also consider the following:
  • Cost of driving (including insurance, parking, gas) vs Metro fare.
  • What you could do on a Metro ride - not really obvious, but I've found I get work done on my AM and PM metro rides, or I can catch up on books, or nap if needed.
  • Potential frustration levels - what will boil your blood more - car and traffic issues, or crowded and delayed trains/buses?
  • Ickiness - would you sweat more in your car or on the metro? This could affect what you wear on a given day...

I'm the same way, if I don't have to drive then I'd rather not. But if it's not much traffic, I'd rather get the extra sleep in bed and just drive there for a couple days. I'll be taking the train into work every day for sure though. Thanks y'all

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads