• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you plan on staying in North Arlington?
Not sure. May check out some of the new places in Ballston or further west. Still in planning stages.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our building is run by Equity Residential and they jack up the rent every year. I think we are moving in the Spring. Need a new place in Arlington somewhere.

I used to live/rent in one of the Avalon properties in Courthouse. I moved every year within the building for 7 years to a different unit (much easier then since I was single) because the rent would go up $200 to $300 per month to re-new. Got sick of that and ended up buying. Now I'm renting that spot out, but I don't plan on increasing the rent year by year like these companies.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure. May check out some of the new places in Ballston or further west. Still in planning stages.

Out west as in the SUBURBS :butbut:.

I used to live/rent in one of the Avalon properties in Courthouse. I moved every year within the building for 7 years to a different unit (much easier then since I was single) because the rent would go up $200 to $300 per month to re-new. Got sick of that and ended up buying. Now I'm renting that spot out, but I don't plan on increasing the rent year by year like these companies.

Yikes, I thought rent usually increased $100 each year. I've never had to go through this experience I've always owned or rented a room from a friend.

Last edited:

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funnily enough, I've had friends in the past that are DC residents, refer to Arlington as the suburbs with derision. I found it ironic since they had moved here from rural towns in the Midwest and had not grown up here. :rolleyes:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yikes, I thought rent usually increased $100 each year. I've never had to go through this experience I've always owned or rented a room from a friend.
The apartments run by corporations say they use an algorithm to determine rents. Every year they hit us with around a 6% increase. We then sit down with the apartment manager who benevolently makes it. 3%ish increase.

They act like they are doing you a favor but I imagine the 3% increase is their real goal.

Also, the building doesn’t spend much on upkeep. Maintenance is t very good, the elevators constantly break, etc. Time to move.

Probably not the suburbs but maybe a few more Metro stops west. No idea really.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've moved 7 times in 6 years, and will probably be adding another notch on my belt in the coming months. I currently live in Crystal City and my building increased my rent by ~$200, plus increasing the parking and amenity fees. Also considering going out west like @smittycl or maybe off the metro altogether.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The apartments run by corporations say they use an algorithm to determine rents. Every year they hit us with around a 6% increase. We then sit down with the apartment manager who benevolently makes it. 3%ish increase.

They act like they are doing you a favor but I imagine the 3% increase is their real goal.

Also, the building doesn’t spend much on upkeep. Maintenance is t very good, the elevators constantly break, etc. Time to move.

I've moved 7 times in 6 years, and will probably be adding another notch on my belt in the coming months. I currently live in Crystal City and my building increased my rent by ~$200, plus increasing the parking and amenity fees. Also considering going out west like @smittycl or maybe off the metro altogether.

Is DC an option?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is DC an option?
My wife and I would consider DC. Kind of annoying to change drivers license and plates when bouncing between DMV though.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been meaning to but always just settle in the 4 Seasons bar. I hear Eno is owned by the hotel too.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to see Dear Evan Hansen at Kennedy Center last night and did a little Gene Kelly on the terrace.
IMG_20190824_092247_911.jpg

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to see Jimmy O Yang (Silicon valley; crazy rich Asians) stand up at Arlington cinema drafthouse for date night this weekend.

Had a great time. Venue had decent food and interesting seating (old office chairs) and stage setting that made it very intimate from an audience perspective.

Date night Outfit. Finally cool enough to wear denim.
FEF81C93-99A1-4C83-A6ED-A1DE18C8F30A.jpeg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some great bourbon at Jack Rose today. Willett and Elijah Craig barrell strength. The Willett was a bit stronger on the rye side whereas the EC was a little sweeter. In case you're wondering (cause I know you are) I was wearing the official summer uniform of the straight DC male: blue gingham shirt (Hugh & Crye); chinos (olive Spier & Mackay); suede penny loafers (Alden Copley).
20190901_162636.jpg 20190901_170920.jpg
20190901_171648.jpg

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you are probably right. I once worked for a summer for a fundraising company that solicited donations from university alumni. The telephone script they gave us had us start off by asking the person for $1600. Then we'd go down to $800, then to $400, then $200, and then $100. The real goal was actually to get a $100 donation. By the time we got there, most alumni felt lucky to get off the phone with only a $100 donation. Terrible job, but somewhat instructive for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads