• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question for the folks in DC. Planning to bring my kids ( 9 and 11, who are into tennis) to watch the Citi Open tennis. Want to make it a long weekend trip ( Friday through Sunday). Any tips about hotels, parking, and anything which will make the trip memorable.

Since the Citi Open is near Rock Creek Park you could consider staying at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in the Woodley Park neighborhood. The Van Ness neighborhood a mile or two north also has a motel. Both neighborhoods are adjacent to Rock Creek Park so offer convenient access. If proximity to the stadium is critical a quick web search indicates there is a Dollar Tree a few blocks from the stadium. Otherwise, as the stadium's location is fairly residential and isolated from metro rail you will need to consider your transportation plan to and from the stadium throughout the weekend to expand your options. Also consider the Embassy Suites in Friendship Heights (Last year I took a shuttle from the stadium to a parking lot not too far from the hotel). Consider further distances if you want access to more activities apart from the tournament.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good. I grew up here so I am aware. We are on a semi private lake which regularly gets purged of any gators that want to setup shop.

Thanks for head up though since many other people are oblivious to florida wildlife.

We rented an AirB&B on a lake this spring in Winter Haven and I was not expecting to see a small (is any gator truly small when you're from the North East?) sunning himself on the dock when we were checking out the patio and back yard and one of my friends suggested taking the kayak out.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for the folks in DC. Planning to bring my kids ( 9 and 11, who are into tennis) to watch the Citi Open tennis. Want to make it a long weekend trip ( Friday through Sunday). Any tips about hotels, parking, and anything which will make the trip memorable.
What are your kids into? Not sure that you'll have time to see the museums on the Mall if you're spending all the time at the tennis tournament. As others have mentioned, the tennis facility is in NW and not close to public transportation. You're going to have to Uber there. I recommend staying somewhere in NW.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I’d stay in the nw quadrant for sure then, maybe Georgetown or Adams Morgan, then Uber to the venue.

Depends if you want to be closer to the venue or DC. I think you’ll probably have to Uber to the venue regardless, bc that area can get rough. I wouldn’t stay in walking distance.

16th St, NW is rough?

There are shuttle buses near the Friendship Heights Metro to the tournament that run frequently and reliably. If you stay at the Omni Shoreham or on the west side of the Red Line on the metro, it's a straight shot to the location of the shuttle.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16th St, NW is rough?
The struck me as well. 16th Street on the border of Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights, maybe. (There was a shooting there recently.) 16th Street where the tennis facility is located is completely residential and quite safe.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Near Adam's Morgan right? I've never felt 100% at ease there.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wedding this evening update. Made it safely to Syracuse, no issues with flight etc. nice dinner at local brewery/restaurant, then “welcome Brews” with wedding party (casual) at a different brewery.

I packed the navy Glen plaid fox air suit, a white shirt and a blue shirt, black suede Belgian loafers and the navy (looks almost black in pics) grenadine and a curve ball, navy/burg grenadine (navy and burg woven together) which appears a very dark red.

What are your kids into? Not sure that you'll have time to see the museums on the Mall if you're spending all the time at the tennis tournament. As others have mentioned, the tennis facility is in NW and not close to public transportation. You're going to have to Uber there. I recommend staying somewhere in NW.

Can’t comment on places to stay, but as AC alludes to, if time during your stay, a visit to one or more Smithsonian museums might be in order. I recommend either Natural History or Air and Space depending on what speaks to your kids (pretty much dinosaurs or rockets)

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T-minus 4 days until the Brit is back.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems