• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how do one of these things work? I have never been to one.You guys will need to take pictures of the fabrics you choose.
I had a suit made by Steed several years ago, also with some Fox Bros. fabric I picked up. Meet in hotel, chat about stuff, discuss cuts, silhouette, and features. Look through fabric books and make choice. Get measured. It’s generally fun!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

blacklight

Reaction score
Any jazz connoisseurs here that can recommend a favorite place to go watch a live performance?

I know jazz fest usually happens in rosslyn in September but would like to check out some spots before then.

I only know of blues alley but haven’t been there in 20 years

Strong recommendation for Yussef Dayes at the Howard Theatre on 6/3.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the fit on this? It is a cotton linen blend completely unstructured from J.Crew that I sold recently because I thought the color was not really agreeable on me and I was hoping for more gray than blue.

I’m considering going back for the same line now that they are offering a light gray glen plaid which was more my liking. Is it silly and what they offer is junk?

C3ECA9FD-45C4-4021-B5EF-D6C82459C139.jpeg
0224DBB5-A201-4BA1-BCB3-3F4F5C02F3D3.jpeg

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
My j crew unstructured jacket looks like complete ass on me and is going bye-bye, yours works much better for you. Somehow the side profile looks a bit odd, are you standing straight?

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am to the best of my knowledge. I wonder if it has to do with the material being mostly cotton which is a bit stiffer or do I need the next size for more space in the front. The next size up would be a good bit bigger from what measurements I was given. The shoulder would be 19 instead of 18.5. Normally with a bit of structure I might be able to pull it off. Without it im not so sure.

42R
Shoulder:19
Sleeve:35.37(this measurement may be from the neck rather than shoulder below)
Chest:44
Waist:41.25
Length:29.75

40R pictured
Shoulder:18.5
Sleeve:25.62
Chest:42
Waist:39.25
Length:29.50
Both 3 in Lapel.

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the fit on this? It is a cotton linen blend completely unstructured from J.Crew that I sold recently because I thought the color was not really agreeable on me and I was hoping for more gray than blue.

I’m considering going back for the same line now that they are offering a light gray glen plaid which was more my liking. Is it silly and what they offer is junk?

View attachment 1919201 View attachment 1919203
I'd try something else. A light grey glen plaid is also (normally) going to be a pain to pair with other things.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd try something else. A light grey glen plaid is also (normally) going to be a pain to pair with other things.
The reason I am drawn to this is because I absolutely love this jacket from the armory but could never afford it. Armory Glen Plaid
They do a good video showing its flexibility Here.

The J crew looks similar and in a material I could use spring through fall more than likely. The neutral nature also would lend itself to a lot of combinations. I am definitely open to discussion and opinions. I’m definitely not opposed to the northen lights look. In fact I'm drawn to it I think.

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
The reason I am drawn to this is because I absolutely love this jacket from the armory but could never afford it. Armory Glen Plaid
They do a good video showing its flexibility Here.

The J crew looks similar and in a material I could use spring through fall more than likely. The neutral nature also would lend itself to a lot of combinations. I am definitely open to discussion and opinions.
TBH, I think that styling is bad. Putting fabric on a table is not the same as putting it on a human. Early on, I once owned a jacket like this. Not a good choice.

A basic question I ask is what shirt, pants, and tie am I going to wear with the jacket. A jacket should either go with a blue or white shirt (or a blue and white stripe). But then what color is the tie going to be? If it's also light in color, you'll just have three lightly colored things next to each other and it won't look good because there will be insufficient contrast. If you go with a darker tie, it will stand out too much. If you plan on wearing a tie, you generally want a jacket that is at least somewhat darker than the shirt. So you go darker jacket (relatively), lighter shirt, darker tie. If you're not going to wear a tie, get something less formal, like an ivory linen jacket.

You also have to consider the trousers and how that goes with the jacket, shirt, and tie. You generally want a jacket that goes with grey trousers, but there is not an easy shade of grey here that this grey jacket will go with.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH, I think that styling is bad. Putting fabric on a table is not the same as putting it on a human. Early on, I once owned a jacket like this. Not a good choice.

A basic question I ask is what shirt, pants, and tie am I going to wear with the jacket. A jacket should either go with a blue or white shirt (or a blue and white stripe). But then what color is the tie going to be? If it's also light in color, you'll just have three lightly colored things next to each other and it won't look good because there will be insufficient contrast. If you go with a darker tie, it will stand out too much. If you plan on wearing a tie, you generally want a jacket that is at least somewhat darker than the shirt. So you go darker jacket (relatively), lighter shirt, darker tie. If you're not going to wear a tie, get something less formal, like an ivory linen jacket.

You also have to consider the trousers and how that goes with the jacket, shirt, and tie. You generally want a jacket that goes with grey trousers, but there is not an easy shade of grey here that this grey jacket will go with.
I would likely wear white, pale blue, pale pink, pale green shirts with it.I think an off white might even go with it. Depending on the color shirt I might not use a tie but I have a good bit of variety with ties to match. For trousers I would use white, black, cream, stone, navy, potentially a chocolate and of course the matching trousers if I got them.

I think it could go well with more saturated polos as well.
I definitely do not mind lighter on top.I have an ivory linen blend suit already.

Here is the light grey glen plaid in question.
8A17E8EE-748B-4C8C-A9BD-1901FA0662D4.jpeg
D8ED44BB-8CC9-49A0-BD89-803E96FDF0F8.jpeg
0C76551D-B139-4596-8A8D-5BD155D46EA2.jpeg

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1919201 View attachment 1919203
For fit/alteration suggestions, try posting on the Tailor's Thread.
Chris Despos regularly responds there with helpful suggestions (not that people on this thread aren't helpful!)
I like the northern lights look (I have an ivory cashmere blend jacket that I like wearing with dark denim or dark brown flannels) but a light gray prince of wales check with flap pockets runs a high risk of looking like an orphaned suit jacket. The cashmere and patch pockets on the armoury version is a little better but I still don't think it would look good on most people.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fit/alteration suggestions, try posting on the Tailor's Thread.
Chris Despos regularly responds there with helpful suggestions (not that people on this thread aren't helpful!)
I like the northern lights look (I have an ivory cashmere blend jacket that I like wearing with dark denim or dark brown flannels) but a light gray prince of wales check with flap pockets runs a high risk of looking like an orphaned suit jacket. The cashmere and patch pockets on the armoury version is a little better but I still don't think it would look good on most people.
Thanks I will post there. I had not considered the orphaned suit jacket component because it isn’t very high sheen or worsted wool. I may need to check this one out in person.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L