• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any jazz connoisseurs here that can recommend a favorite place to go watch a live performance?

I know jazz fest usually happens in rosslyn in September but would like to check out some spots before then.

I only know of blues alley but haven’t been there in 20 years

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any jazz connoisseurs here that can recommend a favorite place to go watch a live performance?

I know jazz fest usually happens in rosslyn in September but would like to check out some spots before then.

I only know of blues alley but haven’t been there in 20 years
JoJo’s near the u street corridor and the birchmere in Alexandria

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Regarding summer shirt options, I pretty much only wear unlined-collar OCBDs under a sport coat or cardigan when it's not hot out. From June into September, though, I wear a mix of poplin, seersucker and linen shirts (embrace wrinkles!).

I was wondering what are people's opinions on linen shirts with unlined button-down collars. I know unlined OCBDs can have a nice collar roll given the weight of most oxford fabrics, but since linen is such a light fabric, are linen shirts with unlined button-down collars generally avoided? I have a few from Gitman Bros Vintage and I'm starting to doubt if they look good, especially when worn with a sport coat (which I put on while in the office). Should linen shirts instead of structed/fused or whatever collars?

Not in any rush, but figure it'll be miserable outside soon enough and might as well get the ball rolling.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding summer shirt options, I pretty much only wear unlined-collar OCBDs under a sport coat or cardigan when it's not hot out. From June into September, though, I wear a mix of poplin, seersucker and linen shirts (embrace wrinkles!).

I was wondering what are people's opinions on linen shirts with unlined button-down collars. I know unlined OCBDs can have a nice collar roll given the weight of most oxford fabrics, but since linen is such a light fabric, are linen shirts with unlined button-down collars generally avoided? I have a few from Gitman Bros Vintage and I'm starting to doubt if they look good, especially when worn with a sport coat (which I put on while in the office). Should linen shirts instead of structed/fused or whatever collars?

Not in any rush, but figure it'll be miserable outside soon enough and might as well get the ball rolling.
I never really liked button down collars and don't have any OCBD dress shirts. Weirdly I have a bunch of button down casual shirts but I never actually button them.

All my dress dress shirts are mid-spread collar and I use metal collar stays to keep the shape in even in very light shirts.

Last edited:

grio1212

Reaction score
4346FD32-6D5B-463C-8DA3-0805793D9C70.jpeg

Sunday’s outfit

jssdc

Reaction score

I have whole bunch of linen cotton blend shirts from luxire with the NOBD2 collar (it’s a single piece hidden button down with a relatively tall collar band designed by a user on this board). I haven’t bought any since 2018 or so, and so will probably put in for a few more this year. They wrinkle, but not on par with pure linen, and wear very light. The collar has a great balance between standing up nicely and having just a bit of summertime flop. And luxire usually sells this fabric for under $100.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I really, really do not like the South. I could maybe handle something kind of vibrant like Asheville with colleges and culture or even somewhere here in VA. Even places like Nashville that rate as "fun" have to suffer under dickish and retrograde State governments.

Wifey and I are both Northerners and love rocky coasts, easy access to big cities, etc. Winters can be a bummer of course but those are getting seriously milder. No real snow in NYC or even Boston this year.

Anyone want to go in on some nice Hudson Bay beachfront property?

I don't understand the "winters are terrible, let's move south" idea even without global warming. The summers are terrible in the South, so it is the same problem just time displaced. I'm in Raleigh and it feels like from late April until Halloween I don't want to spend any time outside due to the heat and humidity.

Minneapolis was too cold for me, so I get it, but you (I don't mean you specifically) don't have to move to Florida or Atlanta or Arizona.

I rather live through a Chicago or Denver or similar winter than an Atlanta summer.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in the south (Florida,Georgia,Tennessee) and I really think it all depends what you like to do in summer time. If you are a fan of the outdoor lifestyle with access to water sports it can be hard to beat the south.humidity is challenging if your goal is to avoid it. Not to mention mild winters. However the lifestyle and culture is vastly different from the north. If you go out west you can find some similar attributes to the souther without the humidity and different governments/culture.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the "winters are terrible, let's move south" idea even without global warming. The summers are terrible in the South, so it is the same problem just time displaced. I'm in Raleigh and it feels like from late April until Halloween I don't want to spend any time outside due to the heat and humidity.

Minneapolis was too cold for me, so I get it, but you (I don't mean you specifically) don't have to move to Florida or Atlanta or Arizona.

I rather live through a Chicago or Denver or similar winter than an Atlanta summer.
Yeah, I've lived in Southern Georgia and West Texas. Summers are sticky messes much like DC's. I've probably got a decade of work left, maybe a little less, and I think we will move north maybe above NYC somewhere. I like seasons and winters don't bother me even though I like to be out on my bike as much as possible.

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've lived in Southern Georgia and West Texas. Summers are sticky messes much like DC's. I've probably got a decade of work left, maybe a little less and I think we will move north maybe above NYC somewhere. I like seasons and winters don't bother me even though I like to be out on my bike as much as possible.
Seasons here are definitely a draw for me but it is every bit as muggy without the proximity of a nice beaches, lakes, or big mountains which blows. My wife and I will likely end up closer to a coast or the mountains out west. We both enjoy outdoor sports regardless of season. The activities just change.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did an 18-month TDY in Alabama, and with all due disrespect, I hope I never step foot in that state again. Visiting Georgia was alright, and Charleston is cool. Think that's good enough for me.
The only part of the South I've ever enjoyed is the coast. Go just a little inland and life seems to change precipitously for the worst.

Apart from Army training at Fort Benning and Fort Bragg I've managed to avoid this general region my entire life. Lots of bias on my part, surely, but why go somewhere that makes you unhappy?

1678821590771.png

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
Ahh the box of despair. My wife, and thus the entire extended in-laws, live in said box. They always ask when we are moving back, and for the first few years after my wife joined me here she entertained the idea. Couple years ago we went back to visit and as we were boarding our flight back she gave me a look of disgust and said "never moving back."

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david.m.morris@talkta