• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No meetings, no problem. Got a bunch of meetings myself, but no cameras on. For me this is a pleasure thing (mostly).
Yeah usually. Im sleep deprived atm with the newborn going through a sleep regression. Plus working on data reconciliation and catchup. Not ideal in a blazer. You will have to forgive me this time.

bobbers

Reaction score
I'd try something else. A light grey glen plaid is also (normally) going to be a pain to pair with other things.
I also have a light grey glen plaid sportscoat and I find tough to match with other things as well.

Mine has a much more prominent pattern, so I think its less likely to thought of as an orphan suit jacket; though it has a worsted finish and I forgot to mention patch pockets rather than flap when I had it made.

c2a.jpg c4a.jpg

anaxagoras

Reaction score
The reason I am drawn to this is because I absolutely love this jacket from the armory but could never afford it. Armory Glen Plaid
They do a good video showing its flexibility Here.

I think that jacket in the one that you are considering are very different, and that may be the source of your disappointment, I don’t know. They list it as:
  • 100% Cashmere, Lanificio Cerruti
  • Fully canvassed and quarter lined
But you are considering a completely unstructured jacket made of linen and cotton.

In general on J. Press: it is a misconception, which they now seem to exploit, that they traditionally made unstructured pieces. The look always involved what came to be called a “soft” shoulder, but it was never unstructured, and they were always fully canvassed. In that sense, the Armoury piece is very reminiscent of what Press used to do, and the price is, sadly, appropriate.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that jacket in the one that you are considering are very different, and that may be the source of your disappointment, I don’t know. They list it as:
But you are considering a completely unstructured jacket made of linen and cotton.

In general on J. Press: it is a misconception, which they now seem to exploit, that they traditionally made unstructured pieces. The look always involved what came to be called a “soft” shoulder, but it was never unstructured, and they were always fully canvassed. In that sense, the Armoury piece is very reminiscent of what Press used to do, and the price is, sadly, appropriate.
For deals check out The Armoury's sale site. Good place to get Ring Jacket at discount.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to know that as it is all new to me. I definitely understand you pay to play when it comes to quality. I did not think for a second that the crew jacket is comparable other than a similar pattern and color scheme. This is what drives me to it. Also the fact that I have some limited experience with the material it is made of. (Trust me I would prefer the cashmere just cant afford it).

So for me this is a poor mans alternative to the Armory piece. If anyone has affordable alternatives that are better than the one im looking at in a similar shade or pattern I am open to it. I have a medium grey piece for fall/winter/early spring already so really I'm looking for a lighter alternative for when it gets warmer and isn’t cool enough for the other.

anaxagoras

Reaction score
Good to know that as it is all new to me. I definitely understand you pay to play when it comes to quality. I did not think for a second that the crew jacket is comparable other than a similar pattern and color scheme. This is what drives me to it. Also the fact that I have some limited experience with the material it is made of. (Trust me I would prefer the cashmere just cant afford it).

So for me this is a poor mans alternative to the Armory piece. If anyone has affordable alternatives that are better than the one im looking at in a similar shade or pattern I am open to it. I have a medium grey piece for fall/winter/early spring already so really I'm looking for a lighter alternative for when it gets warmer and isn’t cool enough for the other.

BB has this on sale. I googled glen plaid merino. You don’t actually want the cashmere, merino has far better structural properties, and it’s cheaper.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are money conscious, I would stay off this forum. It takes a fair number of mistakes before you develop your own aesthetic for dressing that is up to par with styleforum group think.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are money conscious, I would stay off this forum. It takes a fair number of mistakes before you develop your own aesthetic for dressing that is up to par with styleforum group think.
I'd be driving a Porsche 911 right now if I hadn't joined SF all those years ago!

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not too worried about the over all group think. I do however watch and listen closely to those that are far more experienced than me for knowledge I can use to develop my own style. This forum has already exposed me to far more than I could ever have done by spending lots of money I don’t have. I have my monetary limitation but I do not think I have to break that to look good. Since I thrift many of my pieces any mistakes I make are also minimized. I feel I am well on my journey for this just by the support I get from other members here and coworkers. My goal is to look good and feel good about how I look (how much something costs is of little value to me)

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Yeah usually. Im sleep deprived atm with the newborn going through a sleep regression. Plus working on data reconciliation and catchup. Not ideal in a blazer. You will have to forgive me this time.
Oh good, we have babies around the same age. Life be like that. :)

Needs to have a giant wing to be peak Porsche
911 GT3 Touring is stealth! Or 911 Turbo S. Just looks like a base model for those who don't know. Too bad the base model is six figures now ...

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the office (like everyday). Probably should have gone for a solid shirt.
PXL_20230316_165456495~2.jpg
This is a shoulder styling that I think Ezra Paul does really well and that I prefer to the completely unpadded and unstructured Neopolitan. Just a little extension, structure and roping but still overall soft.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david.m.morris@talkta