• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sort of torn but suspect I wouldn’t like living in NYC unless I was fabulously rich. DC is more livable. Going to check this out soon at the Hirschhorn:

I may or may not like living in NYC, but I know I don't like living here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may or may not like living in NYC, but I know I don't like living here.
I’m pretty taken with DC. Very compact and interesting. Mountains and ocean both close by. Concerts, galleries, decent chow.

Did a long city ride yesterday, down the river, up to Capitol Hill, light snack at the Dubliner by Union Station, across through Georgetown. Have lived all over the US and really like this town.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sort of torn but suspect I wouldn’t like living in NYC unless I was fabulously rich. DC is more livable. Going to check this out soon at the Hirschhorn:

Thanks for, the heads up. I’ve always liked her and her work. Will try to get down there, and keep my eyes out for live dates

“The exhibition will be accompanied by a series of live performances by Anderson from January 2022 to July 2022”

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty taken with DC. Very compact and interesting. Mountains and ocean both close by. Concerts, galleries, decent chow.

Did a long city ride yesterday, down the river, up to Capitol Hill, light snack at the Dubliner by Union Station, across through Georgetown. Have lived all over the US and really like this town.

I think if I lived in the city I'd like it better, but I could list a lot of cities I'd prefer to live in over DC. Only 6-9 months more here though and I'm gone.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if I lived in the city I'd like it better, but I could list a lot of cities I'd prefer to live in over DC. Only 6-9 months more here though and I'm gone.
You mentioned a while back you're retiring soon?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was planning on going today on my day off until I discovered that the Hirshhorn is only open Wednesday through Sunday. :brick:

I would probably feel differently about the DC area if I lived in, say, Reston, but I love it here. True, it's more of a big town than a real city (no skyline, everyone seems to be a few degrees separated from everyone else), but it works for me.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, in Jan, barring any major setbacks with the market. Planning to buy some acreage in the mountains...somewhere.
1633959304055.png

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I don't need to have my entire personality revolve around spending 3k/month to live in a ****** apartment built before the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

I do want to visit the Armoury though.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Yeah I don't need to have my entire personality revolve around spending 3k/month to live in a ****** apartment built before the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

I do want to visit the Armoury though.
Can confirm. Just moved from old town Alexandria to Manhattan UES. Same exact rent price. Went from living in luxury to living in squalor.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tradeoff is restaurants galore and every classic menswear retailer and bespoke tailor in the country, at most a 15 min walk away.

I have an easier time navigating DC and getting around in an efficient manner. NYC not so much.

Also, DC offers good bars and restaurants for people familiar with the lay of the land. We also have access to a large number of savile row firms visiting throughout the year.

I think my only complaint when I was younger about the bars and in DC was that they shut down around 2am. I’m usually home by 11pm these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics