• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found out last weekend that a local South Korean owned cleaners makes custom shirts. They take your measurements and send them to South Korea where they make the shirt and then ship it over. I plan to look through the fabric sample book they have this weekend and test this.
Assuming based on your handle that they're in Alexandria?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like at least one (if not more) story for whenever we can meet up again over an adult beverage.
The process was fun. Meet Steed in Hay Adams hotel right on Lafayette Square. Chat for a while, get measured, go though checklist of options. I had acquired some Fox Bros gray flannel as an impulse buy and needed it made up.

I brought the fabric with me and dropped it off. Decided on a SB three piece, working buttonholes, ticket pocket. They were able to widen the lapels a bit off their standard cut without issue. Pants were cuffed with pleats and side tabs.

Their factory in Europe made it up and sent it back to Steed. The factory said there wasn’t enough fabric for a three-piece. Edwyn thought there was and planned to make me a vest himself at no extra charge. He tried but realized there actually wasn’t enough (I had 3.5m and I’m 42L). Anyway, they refunded the difference and sent me a two piece. No harm, no foul.

Suit fit very well but needed the pant legs shortened and seat brought in a bit. I went back to see them and they checked it out and then took it back to UK. I got it back a few weeks later.

Pretty neat experience but I doubt I’ll repeat it for MTM. I’d go with them for bespoke if I ever choose to go down that $$$ route, though. I’ve decided to stick with RTW for the most part as I’m usually an easy fit. I will likely try NMWA’s Carrara MTM for the Summer Tweed if I decide to make it up. Still on the fence.

I can bring the Steed to a meet-up if you want to see it. Cheers!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The process was fun. Meet Steed in Hay Adams hotel right on Lafayette Square. Chat for a while, get measured, go though checklist of options. I had acquired some Fox Bros gray flannel as an impulse buy and needed it made up.

I brought the fabric with me and dropped it off. Decided on a SB three piece, working buttonholes, ticket pocket. They were able to widen the lapels a bit off their standard cut without issue. Pants were cuffed with pleats and side tabs.

Their factory in Europe made it up and sent it back to Steed. The factory said there wasn’t enough fabric for a three-piece. Edwyn thought there was and planned to make me a vest himself at no extra charge. He tried but realized there actually wasn’t enough (I had 3.5m and I’m 42L). Anyway, they refunded the difference and sent me a two piece. No harm, no foul.

Suit fit very well but needed the pant legs shortened and seat brought in a bit. I went back to see them and they checked it out and then took it back to UK. I got it back a few weeks later.

Pretty neat experience but I doubt I’ll repeat it for MTM. I’d go with them for bespoke if I ever choose to go down that $$$ route, though. I’ve decided to stick with RTW for the most part as I’m usually an easy fit. I will likely try NMWA’s Carrara MTM for the Summer Tweed if I decide to make it up. Still on the fence.

I can bring the Steed to a meet-up if you want to see it. Cheers!

MTM factories usually require more fabric to make a suit. I’m sure he could’ve made you a three piece if you had gone the expensive route.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the summary.

After having had the suit a while, how do you like it?
It’s my favorite fall/winter suit now. Pairs well with dark brown Chelsea boots in crappy weather. It supplanted a heavy Phineas Cole suit I just sent to LuxeSwap.

The last two winters have been nothing-burgers and I usually didn’t even need an overcoat when wearing it.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did figure out that buying your own fabric really doesn’t save money. Best deal is just to go with the books your maker can access.

Last year was really the first year I did anything beyond off the peg, so I don’t have a ton of experience. But in general, it seems that acquiring your own fabric is really only necessary when theres something really special or different...... was contemplating getting enough for a sportcoat of the Permanent Style Escorial tweed. I still might, but most tailoring houses have plenty of variety to choose from.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year was really the first year I did anything beyond off the peg, so I don’t have a ton of experience. But in general, it seems that acquiring your own fabric is really only necessary when theres something really special or different...... was contemplating getting enough for a sportcoat of the Permanent Style Escorial tweed. I still might, but most tailoring houses have plenty of variety to choose from.
Yeah, totally agree for special stuff. The Fox Flannel was on my want list for a while so I pounced when it went on sale. I’ve done MTM with Brooks Brothers, Kent Wang, Ezra Paul and Steed.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, totally agree for special stuff. The Fox Flannel was on my want list for a while so I pounced when it went on sale. I’ve done MTM with Brooks Brothers, Kent Wang, Ezra Paul and Steed.
My three commissions from Ezra (blue tropical wool 2-piece, brown glen plaid flannel 3-piece, navy hopsack sportcoat) have all been from the full fabric rolls he purchased. It's a little limiting but buying from the cloth maker books is way out of my price range. The hopsack i'm waiting on is from a mill I hadn't heard of while something similar from one of the big name books would have been like 1k more. I'm not exactly a trained hand but honestly I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads