• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

PEBBLE

Reaction score

My hair is a nightmare, It grows a certain way, so it's hard for hairdressers to just copy a hair do.

My hair dressers are all rubbish so a hair consultation is out of the question.

Also have a tiny bit of a receeding hair line too.

I've done my research for my hair type and I feel the David beckham H&M look is perfect, I predict my current hair will be same length by march.

But I'm also hoping for other suggestions from people that would look good for my face shape and style.

What you think?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you would benefit from your hair being down more on your forehead. Generally hair pushed back or up looks better on people with lower hairlines.

PEBBLE

Reaction score
Patrickbooth- thanx mate, I thought same thing, I just figured by March that it will be long enough to over lap my forehead. Perhaps I just manipulate it a bit so bring it down and forward.

Do you have any examples of hairstyle's that would suit my head/face?

Thanx in advance.

az64q

Reaction score
The Lush Dirty creme sure is pungent. Very good, thick hold. Easy to put on, very moldable. I was able to style my hair pretty much all on the first swipe. Great texture, and not at all greasy or heavy. I'm sure it will hold up all day and night. But the smell is awful.

I've got this unpleasant aroma following me around, and I've washed my hands several times and the smell won't come off. I really don't think I can handle this on a daily basis. I still haven't tried Big Tease. From what I've read, I'm afraid that I'm going to really like it and then end up not being able to buy it again.

Last edited:

wizzeak

Reaction score

counterpoint: i've used the american crew fiber and it is atrocious for people with thick hair. no hold, and god forbid you touch your hair because what little hold there will vanish.

yeah fiber sucks for me. I can see it being nice for people with really short hair like an inch for the texture

im probably just gonna try a couple of pomades as hold is my main problem these days

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Lush Dirty creme sure is pungent. Very good, thick hold. Easy to put on, very moldable. I was able to style my hair pretty much all on the first swipe. Great texture, and not at all greasy or heavy. I'm sure it will hold up all day and night. But the smell is awful.

I've got this unpleasant aroma following me around, and I've washed my hands several times and the smell won't come off. I really don't think I can handle this on a daily basis. I still haven't tried Big Tease. From what I've read, I'm afraid that I'm going to really like it and then end up not being able to buy it again.

you'll get used to it, i know i have.

ErikW

Reaction score
I've been using Kevin.Murphy Night.Rider matte texture paste for the past 6 months or so. It's pretty good stuff and has a good hold for people like me with unruly straight, thick hair.

I tend to shampoo everyday - sometimes a couple times a day too. Living in Texas in the summer combined with Crossfit workouts it's a bit of a necessity. I've been using Menscience Daily Shampoo, which they say is meant to be used everyday.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand how anybody can characterize thick straight hair as "unruly". It is pretty much what everybody desires. It is a blank canvas to do whatever you want with it.

ErikW

Reaction score
Well, it's poofy if I don't use some sort of product in it. Maybe unruly was a bit of an overstatement.

alexg

Reaction score

I bought Dirty the other day because the store had no Big Tease left, which I hadn't tried either. It's ******* terrible. It styles it decently, but smells bad and makes my hair feel weirdly greasy. Plus it rained today and all of it somehow managed to concentrate itself into a 2 inch area on the back of my head which felt absolutely gross. No other product I've used has done that, it didn't even rain hard at all, just a tiny bit of water. I'm going back to my fancy Japanese bullshit with no brand on it.

nellijaer

Reaction score
Hello, I really like to try a new hairstyle and the one bradley cooper has in the following picture really appeals to me.
Well, the problem is I don't have an idea how to explain the barber how to cut it...
Can someone please tell me how I can best explain the barber how to cut it. I really like the fact his hair doesn't look wet, so what gel or hairproducts should i use?
thanks in advance.

wizzeak

Reaction score

I've been using Kevin.Murphy Night.Rider matte texture paste for the past 6 months or so. It's pretty good stuff and has a good hold for people like me with unruly straight, thick hair. I tend to shampoo everyday - sometimes a couple times a day too. Living in Texas in the summer combined with Crossfit workouts it's a bit of a necessity. I've been using Menscience Daily Shampoo, which they say is meant to be used everyday.
I've used night rider as well and my experiences have been kind of bittersweet. the thing was like bi-polar for me. Sometimes it had great hold but made my hair feel and look really sticky and dry (maybe I used too much?). Other times it had decent but moldable and natural looking hold but added a greasy sheen. its still probably one of the better hair products I've used. lastly they have this really well done video where Kevin is styling this model's hair and makes it sound like the hair wax from the heavens. just take note that it is Kevin Murphy doing the video... very well done though imo.
Hello, I really like to try a new hairstyle and the one bradley cooper has in the following picture really appeals to me. Well, the problem is I don't have an idea how to explain the barber how to cut it... Can someone please tell me how I can best explain the barber how to cut it. I really like the fact his hair doesn't look wet, so what gel or hairproducts should i use? thanks in advance.
seriously just bring in the pic. you can describe it all you want but even the word "fauxhawk" or "sidepart" can come out in so many ways. I've tried describing things many times instead of bringing in pics and it never turns out how I wanted it and I start hitting myself on the head cause I could have just showed the pic and be done.

Last edited:

hugopoon

Reaction score
Today's Friday and the last time I shampooed my hair was Monday and my hair feels and look amazing. It's actually soft and not dry/puffy looking. I guess some people just have dry hair and don't have to wash as often?

Question though:

Will conditioner alone be enough to clean my hair when I go back to school next week (athletics). I plan on just washing it every sunday with shampoo but idk how the smell will hold up since I will be working out for the majority of the week. Any tips would be appreciated.

Btw, how long should you keep shampoo/conditioner in your hair whilst in the shower? I use one of the saloon style bottles for conditioner, use one long squirt (lol) and work it into my hair and then leave it in for about 7-10 min then wash it out. Shampoo is the same way except I don't think I use as much. Thanks!
I don't think dry hair is the reason for low sebum production. I think not taking out too much sebum in the first place prevents the body from overcompensating for the loss by subsequently overproducing sebum. I used to use a shampoo and conditioner for oily hair every morning — by the next morning I'd look like I'd slathered oil on.
Nowadays I use water every other day.

I think the thing to be careful of with conditioner washing is that it can leave residue if you don't wash it out very well. It's been a while but I seem to remember being advised not to rub conditioner into the scalp.
7-10 minutes is quite long but not excessively so.

I'm not sure whether conditioner washing every day or every few days would be better — conditioners are usually designed to compensate for the things shampoo strips your hair of (otherwise you'd just keep building up "extra" stuff on your hair — when a conditioner's too "rich", it really leaves your hair horrible (I've tried it before)).

Do consider water-only — not necessarily completely but perhaps between conditioner washes (although I'm not sure how it'd work if you use styling products). This (extremely long) thread explains it all: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

petenuts71

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want a new hairstyle for the new years. My current cut isn't that bad but I've been rocking it since 10'.[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]My co-worker has been telling me to get something like Nate Ruess' Cut but I'm not sure how to get it that way as I only use American Crew boost powder and fiber as my only means of hair styling. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I'm also looking for other style recommendations. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I'm just getting bored with the whole asian side swept bangs trend going on and I want to expand past something I'm comfortable with.[/FONT]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads