1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. R300

R300 Senior member

The hair products I have at present look a little something like this (pardon my messy surrounding).

[​IMG]

From the left, the Lush Dirty Hair Cream, then the Moulder from Hairbond and as for the beast on the end, that is Imperial Gel Pomade. just to give you guys more of a size comparison thing, here they are stacked. [​IMG]

now, I haven't had a chance to try out the Lush, but my barber had it on my hair last time it was cut (hence me searching everywhere for it without no name) and I can vouch for it's hold, and pliability, everything apart from this, can't be confirmed.. yet.

Moulder inside.
    [​IMG]

Imperial Gel inside

[​IMG]

Lush Dirty Hair Cream inside

[​IMG]

Smell: By about a country mile, the Imperial's aroma beats all. It smells blissful. Clean, fresh, juicy watermelon (if that makes sense) is what I smell here. whether that is easily recognisable when having this stuff on your hair, I don't know, but it's smells beautiful. the hairbond moulder smells, to me, like a some strong shampoo / conditioning type product, from a company that appears to take their effect more seriously than their 'aroma'. The lush smells incredibly earthy, and almost very salonesque.

use
    I can vouch for the quality of the hairbond stuff. It's brilliant. Don't use too much, because your hair may become quite greasy and tacky with too much prod on your finger(s), but just enough will hold it, and make it so that you can constantly fiddle with it and re-arrange it. As applying, it will dry up quite quickly, infact very quickly, so I wouldn't work into hair too much, as it might be difficult to get from one end of your head to the other (or may just be the case with me as I have unbelievably thick hair).

the gel pomade let me down, but only because my hair, like i say, is incredibly thick, and a water bases gel like prod doesn't do me any favours. it made my hair spider leg off and look kinda 90's disco if you don't apply enough. Too much, will make it gloopy, sticky and will give you quite the shine. For guys that want that, and want to go for that kinda slicked back shiny look, this is your product. otherwise, don't bother.

size

I got the imperial for £13, and it's a beast, weighing in at 340g. Like I say though, you do really need to use a generous amount, so that ma be why it's a slightly bigger size than others. The hairbond is 300ml, and I feel is deceiving. Because of the glass contained, it looks like more than most of it is infact that, glass. Upon further inspection, I realised it ran quite deep, and it can last quite a while. The lush is tiny, but it doesn't like you need to use an awful lot.

Any q's feel free to PM me :)

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. MikeSwartz

MikeSwartz Well-Known Member

So what's the best look for me here?

[​IMG]

3. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

4. kovalchuk71

kovalchuk71 Member

I've been growing my hair out since August or so, and it's gotten pretty long. I've never done this before, and I have always wanted to give it a shot. Since I was a child I always buzzed it (3 guard on the sides and 3 or 4 on the top). I'm not sure if I can pull it off or not. I have a very young face (Im 24 y/o) and I feel that it may make me look even younger. here is a picture from a couple weeks ago. I CANNOT grow a beard, so that is out of the question.

[​IMG]

I've been thinking of maybe cutting the sides and going for something along the lines of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any opinions/any other ideas for hairstyles?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  5. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Senior member

None of the above. It should be glass with a stache only. Rock it bro. :foo:

6. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

@kovalchuk71 what was your goal in growing your hair out? Did you want it long enough to tie it into a ponytail or top knot? Or just have longer hair?

I would wait until you know what you want before cutting it. Maybe even try growing your hair out to shoulder length to see how you like it. Once you shave the sides it takes forever to grow it out long again if you choose to.

7. kovalchuk71

kovalchuk71 Member

My first idea was to grow it out and get a hairstyle like Bradley Cooper in "The Hangover". The problem is my hair is VERY thick. The second idea was to to a long top and short/buzzed sides. I do not want shoulder length hair. I think I would look too feminine (I have a baby face).

Just not sure which style would look better. Any suggestions/opinions?

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I like the first style you posted. You have to commit to it since some of these cuts look awful if you don't style them everyday. My hair is like that right now. I love it when I style it, but I can't get lazy or it looks like shit.

9. kovalchuk71

kovalchuk71 Member

Thanks. Yeah, that was my favorite as well. As for the styling, I have no problems with that. I have super frizzy hair as it is, so styling the longer hair I have now is a necessity. I'm used to it.

10. mymil

mymil Senior member

Second row, with or without glasses doesn't matter.

11. TracyWilson

TracyWilson Member

Twice a week for me too.........but my hair starts to secrete oil the next eve of the day I have a wash, I wonder why?[​IMG]

12. intensanity

intensanity Senior member

+1

13. BobbyV43

BobbyV43 New Member

FNG here, I am growing my hair out so I can comb it to the side and back a little. I don't want the greasy slick look but I also don't want something too sticky. I have been using bumble's sumotech but that was when I was going for the shorter/messy look. Now I'd like to use a comb and style it more because I'm getting married in September and I think it will look a little more classy. What do you guys recommend that will give a little hold but not be greasy or sticky? Ideally I'd like to apply it while my hair is still damp and then comb it.

I just ordered a Kent 16t comb. It will be the first hair styling tool I've owned in about 20 years.

14. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Baxter clay pomade great hold and matte finish. I've had the hair style your describing for over 5 years and this is the best product I've used

Gotze also makes a pomade that's pretty good with not as good of a hold.

15. BobbyV43

BobbyV43 New Member

Does it leave your hair sticky or does it have more of a natural feel? I've been putting the sumotech in my hair when it's pretty damp and then combing it, which actually works pretty well, but I do t get a natural feel once it dries. Has anyone tried the Bumble grooming creme?

16. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I wouldnt say sticky per-say, either way if you run your fingers through an hour after you put it in it will look much more natural and keep a lot of its shape.

17. DuckSoup

DuckSoup New Member

Hi there, dropping in for some advice. I've only had a 1/2" buzz my entire life, but now I want something that suits my hair/face type. This is what I look like now, this is about as long as it normally gets. I'm open to anything, but would an ivy cut or a McQueen-esque-natural-part suit me well? http://imgur.com/a/s0HSN

18. Jazsi

Jazsi Member

Yeah, I'd definitely go for a bit more length on top, while keeping the sides short and neat (#1/2). Ivy cut is a good shout.

19. StyleNewb

StyleNewb New Member

[​IMG]Can anyone suggest me the best hairstyle suited for my face shape and facial features? I am interested in a new hairstyle. I have fairly thick hair with wavy texture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. R300

R300 Senior member

Second picture looks fine to me, maybe with just a smidgen more refinement.

1 person likes this.