1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Blowdrying hair adds a lot of volume and poofiness. Honestly I don't recommend it.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Found a recommendation for this pomade and gave it a shot.

[​IMG]

Yardley of London English Lavender. Easily the best pomade I have ever used. It manages to hold my hair into place all day long and without feeling stiff. It even manages to hold my hair in place when I work out, which is something products have had trouble doing for me in the past. Smells nice and for a pomade it's not that shinny. If I had one issue with the product, it would be that it doesn't wash out as clean as I would like.

Amazon sells the stuff for $10.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

booth,

grooming creme > fiber?

Do you know any good barbers in the hamptons? I am here until Sunday and I had a horrible experience with the last guy I went to.

blowdrying

I showed the picture you posted to a stylist and she told me that I needed to blow dry my hair to get your look, I didn't remember you ever mentioning blowdrying so I told her she was mistaken. She gave me a "are you stupid" look and I said well I have known the guy since I was in grade school and not once has he blow-dried his hair. lol

she cut my hair and messed up. :(

hopefully I find someone I can trust before I straighten it.

4. patrickBOOTH

Grooming cream is better than fiber for my look, but it only worked when I was flat ironing my hair every day. Now since I have waves and such I need more hold. Like I said I use The Big Tease from Lush.

As far as blowdrying goes, if you comb it out and put a blowdryer right next to your hair as your comb it essentially does the same thing as a flatiron and just uses heat to and comb to "pull" out the waves. This is an incredible amount of work. Right now I just use The Big Tease and comb it back.

As far as barbers in the Hamptons I have no idea, I have been using the same guy since forever.

5. bmathe02

bmathe02 Well-Known Member

You should try their H'SUAN WEN HUA hair treatment and see if you like it. I preferred it over the jasmine henna. It gave me a less oily build up feel to my hair which is a plus because I shampoo weekly. I use the product the same way you described but only once a week and I leave it in for a couple of hours. Not an exact time or anything just whats convient that evening. It smells like a spicy cinnamon chai. I love it but I can see others not taking to it. It uses eggs so it's recommended shelf life is only 4 months but I'm not concerned with best before dates on topical cosmetics.

6. Skim

Skim Member

Picked up a jar of dirty hair cream from Lush like you recommended. Smells awesome, looks cool, applies like a cream. Once it dries its fairly matte and feels kind of like a light paste would.

Have you ever used dirty cream patrick? I'm just wondering if I should apply it when hair is still wet and let dry or towel dry to damp and then apply the cream. Look I'm going for is not too slicked or constructed, just swept up and to the side (off my forehead) for a "I just woke up and brushed my hair off my face". I think lightly blowdrying to the side with a little bit of cream in might help.

Anyways here are my first uses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  7. patrickBOOTH

They told me it doesn't weigh your hair down as much. I need as much weight as I can get with my flufffy head.

Creams don't work on my hair. I need hold, creams just define the waves and curls even more.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

What about pomade? I'll need to look into lush...i used to use this mineral cream stuff...forget who makes it next time i go home ill look because i have some left there. This stuff did okay for my hair, but ive been doing a stay in conditioner with pomade and it has been working better than fiber for me.

9. patrickBOOTH

Same thing. Doesn't hold enough. It will for like 1 minute then migrate back into curls.

10. OmniscientCause

Mine doesnt stay straight but goes to waves...my hair is just getting long enough where i am getting some curls...mostly on the sides

11. willmc

willmc Member

Hey guys - lookin for a shampoo that will help moisturize my hair... first time really actually thinking about hair care and I'm pretty sure mine could use it

12. Wess

Wess Well-Known Member

Shampoo is to take dirty things out of your hair, a conditioner is to put nice things in your hair. I think that's what you're looking for.

I've used American Crew's conditioner in the past, I liked it, but my hair doesn't really need it.

13. Flame

Flame Senior member

[​IMG]

Currently.

Any wax that maintain hold without me having to touch up every few hours, but is easy to apply and not too greasy/ heavy ?

those who use japanese stuff like nakano, uevo, arimino etc do comment.

Prefer matt but a little of natural shine is fine.

Or should I just buy hairbond moulder? Seems like it does the job. Previously using Syoss but the stuff is quite pricey.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  14. Flame

Flame Senior member

double post.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  15. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

I'd guess we have pretty similar hair-thickness and length so I guess I'll just recommend what I usually use: E+46 extreme fiber
    doesn't add any shine that I can tell, and combined with blowdrying after toweldrying it holds great, usually 2-3 days without problem and without really having to do much
    heard somewhere that the moulder is similar to the blue crew one(which my friends has) but a little bit better, so from what little I've experienced of the crew one, moulder is probably real nice aswell (actually need a new one soon, might try it out)

16. OmniscientCause

Finding a good barber in boston is next to impossibe...The place I went to 2 and a half months ago is only open at 10 and is too far to go to during lunch. I am going down the cape this weekend, which means 8 more days till I can get a haircut. The sides and back are starting to get some curls.

17. patrickBOOTH

18. OmniscientCause

I am not exactly sure what is going on in that picture.

19. asianman

asianman New Member

I always get the same haircut, short on sides and back and trim off the top. I can never spike my hair up it always just looks a mess. Can some people recommend me a hair cut? I like the look of this hair cut and wonder if it would work on me, if so what would I ask the barber for? I want a nice haircut that can if wanted to be styled, but nothing to extreme, so a soft hairstyle
    I also like the thought of a faux hawk would that work? And what would I ask a barber for if I wanted this i.e. how short on sides , back, top etc.
    Im not interested in growing my hair long such as all these kpop stars, what haircuts could you suggest I get now?

I cant afford to go to stylist, jsut barbers, and do barbers use shearing scissors?

http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=22d89afFrom

This is my hair now, i never realised looking at the sides how bad it is and i feel it makes me look ugly especially bottom left corner one, which exposes my receding hairline
    Im going to barbers in next few days and really need someone to recommend a haircut. Also im in uk, anyone know of good places to get london?

20. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Flame - Do you have soft hair?

What works for me is using some hair spray after wax. I use Tresemme (green) along with D:Fi (blue) and my hair stays in place all day and night. Doesn't look stiff either.