• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

az64q

Reaction score
I tried out Aveda's Pure-Formance Grooming Clay. I was looking for a medium-hold clay/paste/pomade that gave good texture and matte finish, without a lot of chemicals and preservatives. This one seemed to be a good choice.

It's basically an average clay, which would normally be fine. But there's a handful of ingredients that aren't good (denatured alcohol, aluminum) that other brands don't have, even though Aveda claims to be all-natural. And it smells awful. I had read reviews saying that it has a strong fragrance. I was thinking that review was a bit exaggerated, but it does indeed smell like a pine-tree car air freshener. Throughout the day I could still smell it.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thick curly hair, currently letting it grow, and these are the products I am about to start using. I was using Paul Mitchells tea tree shampoo and conditioner, along with his curlesque products, and it was drying out my hair causing it to become frizzy and dry. I will update you guys with my thoughts.

fagnorm

Reaction score

I've gone to four different hair salons and brought this image with me each time. Three of the places were cheap (10-15 dollars) but because those places failed with this haircut, I went to a really expensive salon that cost 30 dollars! That place was exactly the same as the cheap ones, except I got a stupid head massage too. Because of this I decided to figure out how to get this haircut, then show the stylist the image and also tell the stylist what to do.

From my research, I think I need to get a razor cut. Also, the bangs need to be thick so I am going to tell the stylist to leave the hair above my bangs long so it will contribute to the bangs.

By the way, my hair is not the issue. My hair looks exactly like Ashton's hair except mine is black.

Any advice people? Are my ideas correct? What should I tell the stylist to do?

fagnorm

Reaction score

I've gone to four different hair salons and brought this image with me each time. Three of the places were cheap (10-15 dollars) but because those places failed with this haircut, I went to a really expensive salon that cost 30 dollars! That place was exactly the same as the cheap ones, except I got a stupid head massage too. Because of this I decided to figure out how to get this haircut, then show the stylist the image and also tell the stylist what to do.

From my research, I think I need to get a razor cut. Also, the bangs need to be thick so I am going to tell the stylist to leave the hair above my bangs long so it will contribute to the bangs.

By the way, my hair is not the issue. My hair looks exactly like Ashton's hair except mine is black.

Any advice people? Are my ideas correct? What should I tell the stylist to do?

JamesonB

Reaction score
Is there anyone still offering advice in this thread before I throw a bunch of pictures on here?

Fischschleim PhD.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new hairstyle. Right now it's parted, and a bit longer on the top. Could you identify what might be best for my face shape?

Basically how it looks on average now:

How it looked a month ago, using hair dryer (kind of a creepy pic lol):

To show what the length is now when I push it down:

Thanks a lot, if you can help me. :)

Last edited:

bob1234

Reaction score
Quick question about hair products. I have been using Redken Rough Clay 20 for a while now and its amazing. (http://s1.folica.com/img/product/0/...en-rough-clay-20-matte-texturizer-350x350.jpg) I put it in the front of my hair to give it some volume/height like a flip-up kind of.
However, I found out that it has been discontinued for a while now. I read on another forum that the replacement Redken developed a replacement for it but that it is pretty useless and does not have very good hold. Does anyone know of any products that are comparable to the Rough Clay 20?

thanks for your help

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just thought the hair thread could use more of my hair in it. Make a great day!

1a4a32f1.jpg

JamesonB

Reaction score
That's how I wanted to do mine! Is there a way you could take some more shots of it so I could take it in when I get my haircut? and also how do you style yours?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are probably a billion photos of me floating on this site. You get a lot of different opinions on where to go to get your hair cut and what to ask for and such, but there are a lot of factors that go into play. Namely your hair type and head shape. If your stylist, or barber or whatever can see that and work with it than it is a marriage made in heaven.

Essentially what I have is a typical 50's style haircut. Short on the the sides long on top. Tell them 45 degrees on the sides and back and 90 degrees on top and they will have a heart-attack. Also, my guy uses nothing other than good ole' scissors, no clippers. But then again he was trained by the late, great Vidal Sassoon who was more of an artist than a barber.

As to how I style it, I put in some goop and try my best to distribute it evenly and then I just comb it back. Walla!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads