• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
I guess I have what you'd call a typical, side-part haircut, tapered on the sides and back with a few inches left on top. I've had them use only scissors before, but this time she used clippers on the sides and back, and scissors on the top. For those of you with similar cuts, what clipper guard # do you usually go with? She used a #6 around the sides and back, and then scissor cut the top, and it seems to be pretty reasonable. Just curious.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
I guess I have what you'd call a typical, side-part haircut, tapered on the sides and back with a few inches left on top. I've had them use only scissors before, but this time she used clippers on the sides and back, and scissors on the top. For those of you with similar cuts, what clipper guard # do you usually go with? She used a #6 around the sides and back, and then scissor cut the top, and it seems to be pretty reasonable. Just curious.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
I guess I have what you'd call a typical, side-part haircut, tapered on the sides and back with a few inches left on top. I've had them use only scissors before, but this time she used clippers on the sides and back, and scissors on the top. For those of you with similar cuts, what clipper guard # do you usually go with? She used a #6 around the sides and back, and then scissor cut the top, and it seems to be pretty reasonable. Just curious.:foo:

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
I guess I have what you'd call a typical, side-part haircut, tapered on the sides and back with a few inches left on top. I've had them use only scissors before, but this time she used clippers on the sides and back, and scissors on the top. For those of you with similar cuts, what clipper guard # do you usually go with? She used a #6 around the sides and back, and then scissor cut the top, and it seems to be pretty reasonable. Just curious.:foo:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ever try a buzz cut? the headband could work for you too, though I rarely see them around nowaday. I cut off some length on shorts and wore the scraps on my head for a while. It was pretty cool but I wouldn't wear it out because my hair is short anyway so it's a different story.

I have and it did not work for me.

Is willpower still around? I am wondering how one grows out the model hair without looking like a 1990s throwback?

I have not seen him on here for a while now.

Need to see a pic before commenting. My initial reaction isn't positive, but that may change with a pic.

thanks, I will post a pic tonight.

WTF you posted four times lol

Reaction score
foo.gif

It's the Don Draper meets Hitler youth undercut. Don't worry - I've got the same haircut. I have them use only scissors, since I like to keep the sides a little longer, rather than super close cropped. But if you're going to go to a salon where they only use scissors, go to a good one. I've been going to Vidal Sassoon for years, and I can only recommend the crispness of the cut.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

I have and it did not work for me.
I have not seen him on here for a while now.
thanks, I will post a pic tonight.
WTF you posted four times lol

It's the Don Draper meets Hitler youth undercut. Don't worry - I've got the same haircut. I have them use only scissors, since I like to keep the sides a little longer, rather than super close cropped. But if you're going to go to a salon where they only use scissors, go to a good one. I've been going to Vidal Sassoon for years, and I can only recommend the crispness of the cut.

Ooops...sorry for the multiple posts. Not sure what happened there.

Anyway, it seems like if they only use scissors, sometime the sides and back aren't quite as neat as I'd like. The #6 leaves a bit on around the sides/back, and if they can blend the top in with scissors, it seems pretty decent. Sort of like the style of Tom Cruise in Top Gun...just a typical men's side part, or maybe like Nathan Fillion on Castle (but a little shorter on top).

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking into a different hairstyle. Any recommendations? Here's a old WAYWRN fit pic. Thank you.

Where did you get the leather jacket?

details on the belt? I have a NF version of what you have on but I am no longer fond of the "aging" aspect.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like for my hair to stay "damp" throught the day, does anyone know of a product I can use to create this effect? I would like for it to lay a little more flat in some areas. I am using a stay in conditioner but it gets dry after about 6 hours, I do not want my hair to be hard either. Here are the pictures of me wearing the headband, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Last edited:

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where did you get the leather jacket?
details on the belt? I have a NF version of what you have on but I am no longer fond of the "aging" aspect.

Jacket is TOJ's 4-zip moto in medium whiskey. Belt is Corter Leather.

dacia1300

Reaction score
@caltex, get brylcreeme, will keep you lookin moist all day.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@caltex, get brylcreeme, will keep you lookin moist all day.

Does it make your hair hard?

Does it weigh your hair down?

I don't need more volume lol, looking for something to keep it from poof-ing as well.

dacia1300

Reaction score
does none of those things really, just makes it greasy looking, its what the straight haired greasers used back in the day, i have wavy / curly hair as well and i use it during the humid summer months in nyc when i don't want the snoop jew fro look.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

bump, can I get anyones feedback on the headband...

Not sure how it would work on curly hair, but pomade would probably give you the shiny, wet look. The American Crew stuff is supposed to be pretty good.

Personally, I'd lose the headband.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads