• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

CodPiece

Reaction score
Would a medium Ivy League look good on a man with receding hair as shown in figures II or III?
Most modern versions seem to accent a fine straight hairline.

EDIT: Probably more like II.

Last edited:

whyme?

Reaction score
does anyone here swim? i'm just getting back into it, and coincidentally growing my hair out at the same time. thing is, i have fine / dry hair that i usually wash no more than fortnightly.

can i get away with using a cap and thoroughly rinsing with water after swimming or do i need to start shamp. / cond. after swimming? i've been dousing my hair in the shower prior to swimming.. apparently it's less absorbent when it's wet.

lamergod

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Vitalis Hair Tonic? I currently have dry, frizzy and thick hair. Saw this on AoM. The price point is pretty economical. But how well does it work? Read some reviews online and it has all been positives.

I would like to slick my hair back to a pompadour.

Last edited:

cameronXVX

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Vitalis Hair Tonic? I currently have dry, frizzy and thick hair. Saw this on AoM. The price point is pretty economical. But how well does it work? Read some reviews online and it has all been positives.
I would like to slick my hair back to a pompadour.

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but in regard to pomps, if you're going to do a 'slicked back' one and want a cheap, effective pomade Murray's will ALWAYS be the best bet. Great hold, decent shine (shine is easy), but as always, it's near impossible to wash out, but there's easy ways around that too. Put mineral oil in your hands, run them through your hair, wash your hair, no more murray's.

If murrays is a little much, brylcreem and groom & clean are probably your next best bets.

lamergod

Reaction score

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but in regard to pomps, if you're going to do a 'slicked back' one and want a cheap, effective pomade Murray's will ALWAYS be the best bet. Great hold, decent shine (shine is easy), but as always, it's near impossible to wash out, but there's easy ways around that too. Put mineral oil in your hands, run them through your hair, wash your hair, no more murray's. 

If murrays is a little much, brylcreem and groom & clean are probably your next best bets. 

Not exactly slicked back. Somewhere between pompadour and quiff. I already find brylcreem extremely greasy. Probably Murray's would be worse.

Gonna go get some American Crew fibre pomade after my wax finishes.

Laser

Reaction score
Help me pick a hair style.

I've been wearing a faux hawk for years:

I started growing out my hair to try and get this side part look:

Here's where I'm at currently. My hair is still in the awkward not quite long enough phase:

My question is, should I keep growing my hair out and get that hair style, or should I get a different hairstyle? I'm looking for something that goes counter to the nerdy Asian stereotype. I think the faux hawk did that, but I needed something I could wear to work as well (I wear a suit and tie).

Dayman

Reaction score
Help me pick a hair style.

I've been wearing a faux hawk for years:

I started growing out my hair to try and get this side part look:

Here's where I'm at currently. My hair is still in the awkward not quite long enough phase:

My question is, should I keep growing my hair out and get that hair style, or should I get a different hairstyle? I'm looking for something that goes counter to the nerdy Asian stereotype. I think the faux hawk did that, but I needed something I could wear to work as well (I wear a suit and tie).

Im all for people trying new hair out. Go for it. I think it would work for you and with your hair type would look nice. Like you said for work you can play it down but, not be nerdy looking and when your out (if they do some nice texturizing to it) you can amp it up. Just remember to find a good stylist. You get what you pay for and it would suck to have someone mess it up after all the growing you have been doing. Good luck.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

probably would work on many people

But I have curly hair :plain:

I have been told about a treatment that I could do to straighten my hair but I was also told it damages your hair a lot.

Is air drying your hair after you take a shower bad for your hair?

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the jugend on someone w/ a somewhat high hairline and a widow's peak? Is it doable?

whyme?

Reaction score
^ depends just how high. but i'd so generally no.

nvwls

Reaction score
Certainly not saying I look like Brad Pitt but it seems we have a similar hairline around this area.
da2zg.png

On the right side of my head my hair line is straighter and higher, on the left it's lower and a bit fuzzy.

Do I just have to trim it often to keep it symmetrical on both sides?
Oh and does anyone know a good contemporary(?) barber in NYC? Not looking to shell out more than $30-40.

dan138zig

Reaction score
hi guys,

do you know what kind of hairstyle is this? how to achieve this look? any other examples so I can show it to a barber? thanks.

eddavenport.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads