The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I was under the impression that you had to go to a salon if you wanted anything other than a regular cut?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

2. tinsel

tinsel Well-Known Member

anyone have recommendations for water based hair products that they use? particularly ones that can be bought in the UK...

3. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

UK Brylcreem is my favorite. I love this stuff. Every time I'm over there I make a point to buy some:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002S33PHM/ref=nosim/?tag=brylcremecouk-21

You should be able to find it at Tesco, it works as good as many expensive salon products I've used.

4. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

yea, it's my understanding too that barbers typically provide simple and traditional cut while salon can do more complex styling.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

5. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Crosspost from the SW&D WAYWT thread (sorry for the crosspost, but I just hope to get more – and more detailed – advice).

So, I could use some help with suggestions for how to get my hair cut and styled. I've really got no clue (as I'm sure you can tell), so some solid advice would be terrifically appreciated. If anyone has any pictures to illustrate what sort of styling they suggest, well, I'd be doubly grateful. I kinda like the length I've got going on, but it definitely needs some cleaning up. However, I worry that, with my face, just trimming the sides and back short – while leaving a mop on top – might just look silly.

Thanks fellas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

3 on the side, maybe 3.5 or 4 if you do not want to show too much skin

clean up the top, but don't take too much off

repeat but let the top grow longer. make sure to get the sides cleaned up as it gets longer e.g. 3-4 on the side.

pay extra more for the barber to use scissors to clean up the sides instead of a razor.

repeat

soon enough you will have a nice length of hair on top to work with and the sides will be tidy.

7. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Much, much, much appreciated. Thank you!

Also, do you know if the measurements (e.g. 2, 3, 4) are the same in other countries? I'm in Paris for the semester right now, and, uh, I have no idea if I can tell them to give me a "3." Would that be about 2 finger-widths?

I'm gonna guess that 1) the measurements are different, and 2) I shouldn't expect anyone to immediately know the conversion. I'll probably have to do my own research there.

Oh, and one last thing: when you say get the top cleaned up, does that mean get it thinned-out a bit? i.e. "textured?" Or should it get, first and foremost, shorter?

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

just googled this, interested as well because I didn't know ha

A: Well, yes and no. The term “Number 2 haircut” refers to a clipper cut given using the #2 length guard on the clippers. This cuts the hair to a uniform ¼-inch length. So, while he has apparently cut his hair very short - perhaps shorter than you might have chosen for him - his head isn’t truly shaved, nor is it as short as some clipper cuts can be.

from http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/clipper_cuts.htm

9. Sam Rosario

Sam Rosario New Member

So, I need you guys to recommend me some hair styling and cutting options, as of right now, my hair has literally not been cut since I shaved a great deal of it off a long while ago, and while the pictures I'm about to link are from after a nap, so my hair is a little on the flatter side, it does the basic job of showing you where my hairs at right now, if you want new pictures, I can put better ones up tomorrow.

So, for the shape and general aspects of my face, what hair styles would you recommend? Please and thank you. <3

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. guetta

guetta Member

11. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

I was reading this over again, and I realized I had a couple more questions. (Sorry for being so needy, I just want to understand the rationale behind a few things!)

So, for the sides, what exactly is the difference in having the barber use scissors instead of a razor? Does it allow for better precision and layering? (I just kind of want to know what the aim behind it is, so that when I tell the barber what I want, I can explain it well enough so that he/she will know what it is that I'm going for.)

What exactly constitutes "cleaning up" the top? Should I get my hair thinned-out? Cut shorter? A mix of the two? Leave it longer in the front, shorter for the hair on the very top/back of my head?

I hate to seem overly analytical, but I just want to be able to see, in my head, what this all looks like so I can then see how my head will eventually look. Thanks!

12. 45elkton

45elkton Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/fashion/a-haircut-returns-from-the-1930s.html

I don't know why they chose a couple of the photos but the one of Jimmy D from Boardwalk Empire is a good example

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

13. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

nice. i am totally asking for a "hilter youth" cut the next time i go to my barber. i'd love to see the look on his face when i ask for that.

jokes aside, it's been growing in popularity for some time now. if you like clothes it would seem, you should probably be combing/pomade-ing your hair. scotty schuman has spoken.

14. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

If by razor you mean a hand razor instead of clippers, a razor is ment to thin and make textured cuts and it'll make the hair look nice and choppy, in a good way if done correctly. Shears tend to make straight cuts and a cleaner look, unless you use them to point cut or slide cut the hair.Shears will make cleaner layering and better precision. Razor is not ment to be precise its ment to make a textured look. Cleaning up on the top tends to mean you want a slight trim to keep hair at the desired length, or thinning it out a tad if you have thick hair and dont want so much bulk, Its up to you and whom ever is cutting your hair should be able to help you decide and tell you what will work best for you. Barbers are great for clipper cuts and very short hair, Stylist are great for more modern stylish cuts. Its not to say that barbers can't do more modern stylish cuts either, they just tend to be trained more towards clipper cuts and such. There are lots of great modern barbers out there that are great at both. My point is to make sure you find a good stylist or barber. Don't limit your self to either.

15. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

Its gotten big lately. If done right it looks good.