Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

I am not sure it has a name, other than a quiff or pompadour. To get that look you'll need to tell your barber a few things:

- The top of your hair needs to be long, really really long. If you look at the image, the hair on top is probably a good four to six inches long. If your hair isn't that long already on top. Then you'll need to tell your barber to leave the length on top alone.

- The sides are very short. In terms of clipper settings, it's probably a 2 on the sides.

- It is blended very high up on the head. You'll see that his hair is short until about three inches up behind his ears. Tell your barber to blend very high up on the sides.

- If you want to push back your hair, your hairs need to be of varying lengths. Ask for a "razor cut," or if it's a hair stylist, ask them to texturize and thin out your hair with a razor. This makes it so that the hairs fit together better and you can push them back more easily.

You'll want a pomade or a paste when you do your hair. Try Brylcreem, Suave pomade or paste, or American Crew Fiber, Molding Creme, or Pomade.

2. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

I would keep your hair growing on top, but trim it up on the back, around the sideburns, and around the ear. I think the hairstyle (side part with long back, and long sides) that the gent in your pictures has looks good on him mostly because he's in a film. In real life, I think it ends up looking kind of sloppy. Plus, you'll want to trim those areas anyway even if you're going for that look because by the time your hair on top is long enough, the rest of your hair would be wildly out of proportion. I would just go for a trimmed side part if you ask me. But, you should trim the sides up right now, no matter what you ultimately decide.

3. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

thanks, man. that's really helpful and detailed. If I have a long and thin face (my avatar is not me), will it look weird on me?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

4. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

double post

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

5. hennree

hennree Senior member

Just been reading through this thread and i've realised I may be using shampoo too frequently...

At the moment I shampoo and condition daily. The reason for this is that I find my hair is a complete mess after a nights sleep and ive never really considered washing my hair without shampoo...is this something I should be doing?

6. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

I don't think so. I have a fairly long face, and I do something similar. Maybe not quite as long on the top, but I think that hairstyle looks great on most people. Long on top, short on the sides, guys have been wearing that general hairstyle for ages.

7. razl

razl Senior member

I have no hair comment, but I feel compelled to point out: Work on your collar points. I mean, for God's sake man, at least pinch 'em with your fingers and try and straighten them out! You just posted on SF for crying out loud!

Trust me, the hair ain't gonna matter if you've got little curlie-q's at the end of your collar.

Carry on.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

8. rpalsis

rpalsis Member

I dont know where else to ask, but how do i style my hair like this? my cut is similar, i dont know how to style it so he can get it to flow like that. I have a molding clay

[​IMG]

9. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

I'm guessing blow dry and hairspray.

10. tinsel

tinsel Well-Known Member

monsieurspiffy, what kind of products are you using in your hair? For the look you want you will need to blowdry and use some light pomade to build up texture and volume.

11. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

Here is my regimen for my tallish combover quiff:

wash hair with shampoo
    [occasionally i use conditioner]
    run a little brylcreem through hair
    comb and push back hair with a "slicked back look"
    blow dry hair in this position, essentially locking in the shape and body

i currently use suave men's pomade:
    http://www.amazon.com/Suave-Professionals-Mens-Styling-Pomade/dp/B004TWCTGS
    it works shockingly well for a three or four dollar hair product. it has a medium shine and it's lightweight so it won't weigh your hair down

i also fully support the use of any american crew hair styling products, maybe with the exception of gel.

anyway, i think brylcreem works really well for getting the general shape and is essential for me in making sure my hair doesn't get fuzzy or frazzled while i am blow drying. i'd say brylcreem and a blowdryer are the grand secret for a good pushed back look. and a "razor cut" at the barber.

12. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

also, if it was unclear, i use pomade after blowdrying to get the "hold" of the shape i just created with the blowdryer.

13. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

try this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/FI-struct-2-65/dp/B000WMHKB8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328199472&sr=8-2 d:fi d:struct it's probably the most gravity defying matte look product out there. it's more expensive, but it works like nothing else for stuff like that. also i agree with jabonator that you're going to need a blowdryer.

14. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

what's the difference between using razor and that toothed/thinning scissor?

15. monsieurspiffy

monsieurspiffy Member

the toothy thinning razor/scissor "texturizes" your hair towards the ends of the hairs. when your barber does a razor cut, he "texturizes" or thins your hairs out from the roots and upwards. overall the razor cut is superior because your hair gets thinned out more. any real barber that is advertised as a barber should know what you're talking about. plus, you shouldn't be getting your haircut at a salon anyway. you're a man. go to a barber.