• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the fit of the drakes fair isle jumper? I bought in my regular drakes knitwear size (38) and it’s very roomy compared to other jumpers I own. Wondering if I should have gone to a 36 or if it’s just the nature of this style ?

I find that the most important thing with knitwear sizing is that the ribbing on the bottom is tight enough so that it stays where you want it. If it does that, it will look fine. Rubato is a good example of this. Their sweaters definitely have a different vibe as a result of being fuller, but they don't look too big.

bostndreamdonut

Reaction score
I find that the most important thing with knitwear sizing is that the ribbing on the bottom is tight enough so that it stays where you want it. If it does that, it will look fine. Rubato is a good example of this. Their sweaters definitely have a different vibe as a result of being fuller, but they don't look too big.

Ah, Rubato. Insofar as underrated brands, this one is egregious. Amazing clothes and focus.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Speaking of fleece, does anyone here have experience with Manastash? If so, is the stuff nice?

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are people actually serious about that orange fleece being cool? It reminds me of some awful Helly Hansen fleece jackets I wore as a child. They looked like crap and so does this. Drake's does almost everything well, but this, this is a stinker.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are people actually serious about that orange fleece being cool? It reminds me of some awful Helly Hansen fleece jackets I wore as a child. They looked like crap and so does this. Drake's does almost everything well, but this, this is a stinker.

I like Drake's version better. I haven't handle either, but the Filson one looks like it's made from a thinner material, which seemingly makes the fleece drape in a different way. The Drake's version looks thicker and maybe has more of a shape when worn.

I don't know if I would buy the Filson one, personally. But if the Drake's one was more affordable, I'd consider it. I like the look. Seems like a cool thing to wear around the neighborhood and to cafes while wearing jeans and Alden loafers.

I also like that '90s era Helly Hansen though

Psyko

Reaction score
Speaking of fleece, does anyone here have experience with Manastash? If so, is the stuff nice?

I only have this vest, but it's super comfy and warm. And a funky pattern, as well. I've had it for years and only started using it again this winter, after my girlfriend hid it because she thought it was fugly.

Screenshot_20210305-183254_Chrome.jpg

justinpledger

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have any experience with Drake's flannel shirts? I am having real trouble with sizing. I have put on a lot of weight during lockdown ? I intend to lose it but you have to buy clothes that fit you now right and not in the future... At least, I think that's the received wisdom. Anywayyyy...

In most shirts by Drake's I am a size 16 and the fit is ok. I bought this shirt in a medium and I couldn't do up the neck. So I exchanged it for the large and the neck isn't much bigger but at least I can just about do it up. But boy the sleeves and chest are pretty big!!! It's a weird sizing, this shirt.

My question is, will this shrink? I love the colour and style of it but do I go with a medium that I can't do up at the neck but that looks good in the body and sleeve length. Or do I go with the large and hope it shrinks a bit. I mean, I am never going to do the neck up but it feels weird to buy a shirt that I can't do up at the neck - even if I never will. Does that make sense?

Please help if you can!

Thanks!

J

emptym

Reaction score
I got the orange casentino fleece last year and really like it. I don't own a lot of Drakes, in fact, other than a few ties and squares, I think it's my only Drakes garment. Imo it has a blend of practicality and artistry, tradition and innovation, that makes it very special.

It's warm, super durable, wind-resistant but breathable, much more fire-resistant than poly fleece, and stain resistant like any wool. Can be dressed up or down. It's got some great design details, like a high, snug neck, deep zipper for venting, and a useful kangaroo pocket. I love that the fabric was developed centuries ago by/for monks while the design is contemporary. I find it pretty soft, but I wear it with a long sleeve shirt underneath. The orange color makes me more visible to cars while walking my kids to school or bicycle commuting.

I bought it on sale for under 500. Is it worth a thousand? Maybe not, but everything from Drakes is expensive. At full retail, Drakes ties cost up to $225, cotton shirts up to $425, and pocket squares, $255. During last year's sale, for the same price, I could have gotten four shirts, for example, or the casentino fleece. Imo, the fleece was easily a better purchase. You can get shirts anywhere, and most of us probably have more than we need. Where else could you get a casentino fleece?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

Yeah. I genuinely thinks it's cool. I like the way the Casentino takes the color. Bright orange rarely looks good, but I think it does here. It looks much less artificial than a standard fleece would in this color.

I also think there is something to be said for very boring clothing done in interesting fabrics. I think this is probably the future of menswear.

Now, would I buy it for the 5 mil. that Drake's is selling it for? No. Also, practically, I think it would be easier to wear if the zipper went all the way down.

polyfusion

Reaction score
Did anyone get to the bottom of the missing double zip on the blue fleece? The double zip on the marketing looks a million times better than the white single one on the online store

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't an actual affiliate thread, so I don't see why any posts would be removed. it might be clearer to move second chance stuff to another thread, but a lot of this thread is discussing Drake's prices, finding similar looking stuff elsewhere, and discussing sales. Second chance posts seem to fit right in.

emptym

Reaction score
^As a general rule, FS, WTB, interest checks, trade requests, etc, are not permitted outside of B&S and a few designated BST threads, which are usually reserved for affiliates. There are some exceptions to that rule, namely (1) a general Spanish shoemaker's thread where Fok specified that people need to first post a B&S thread and then can post a link there, (2) the cloth thread, where people can post things for sale if they have a pic and they don't post prices, and (3) the Eidos thread after Antonio left Eidos, since so many people were hoping to find things he designed.

If someone wanted to start a Drakes BST thread, they should ask Fok/LA Guy first.

Edit: I asked him and he said someone could start one, but it'd have to be like the Spanish shoemaker thread, i.e. make a B&S listing, then post a link to it in the Drakes BST thread. Whoever starts the thread, please mention that in the OP.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads