• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

fistinyoface

Reaction score
C'mon, man. You realise these guys have to pay shipping costs and import duties on all of these things. It's not a great mystery. No one is forcing you to buy them.

Vitamori posted a comment about this on SZ here on cost differences for Japanese designers, though it applies to any international crossover.

There are two reasons for the cost differences: first, Japanese retailers use very low markups with the permission of the designers. They are standardized throughout the country and are substantially less than what these same designers mandate for the rest of the world (and it should be noted, contrary to the general opinion, the prices of all artisan designer fashion are set to within +/- 5% by the designers themselves, not the retailers). Second, when you're looking at a one-off or super limited production piece, the pattern has to be made just for that piece, then scaled if more than one size is being made; production is done entirely by hand, which means the regular production stops. So there will always be substantial cost differences.

Hopefully this is all informative as part of the ongoing dialogue.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
sinnedk and jbravo have shown time and time again that they are rather lacking intellectually

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

C'mon, man. You realise these guys have to pay shipping costs and import duties on all of these things. It's not a great mystery. No one is forcing you to buy them.

Vitamori posted a comment about this on SZ here on cost differences for Japanese designers, though it applies to any international crossover.

There are two reasons for the cost differences: first, Japanese retailers use very low markups with the permission of the designers. They are standardized throughout the country and are substantially less than what these same designers mandate for the rest of the world (and it should be noted, contrary to the general opinion, the prices of all artisan designer fashion are set to within +/- 5% by the designers themselves, not the retailers). Second, when you're looking at a one-off or super limited production piece, the pattern has to be made just for that piece, then scaled if more than one size is being made; production is done entirely by hand, which means the regular production stops. So there will always be substantial cost differences.

Hopefully this is all informative as part of the ongoing dialogue.

Yes of course i realize. I was unaware that the Italian designers may be setting some special prices in Italy. Although, i was just there a few weeks ago and between Rome/Florence/Venice there were a total of 2 places that carried A1923. Hence, i am not sure the special mark up argument may work here.

I do understand that a special piece will need patterns/lasts/etc. But we are discussing a full run here.

Anyways, all in all, yes there are costs of doing business but for the price to fluctuate so much over so little time is shocking thats all.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sinnedk and jbravo have shown time and time again that they are rather lacking intellectually

Now why would you say that? You know you come in here and bud into a discussion and cause hostility. Why?

I understand you want to troll but why not do it elsewhere?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
pretty sure you don't

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
pretty sure your unintelligent drivel is worse.

remember, i am reacted to your dumb posts. you're clogging the thread with dumb thoughts and inane posts as usual.

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Remember *****, dumb people can't afford to buy shoes that cost over 2000 dollars. Think about it
biggrin.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

pretty sure your unintelligent drivel is worse.

remember, i am reacted to your dumb posts. you're clogging the thread with dumb thoughts and inane posts as usual.

thats not true, you came in here and started trolling.

bye now

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
ITT: dumb whiny butthurt kids

Last edited:

Dorje

Reaction score
Well nobody knows the production costs or how many hours goes into producing the leather and then the boot and nobody is going to tell us either. But I'd expect a cost around 5-10% of retail if it's at all typical of other luxury markets I'm more familiar with. There's a lot less economy of scale and a lot more work done by hand, you can't compare them to mainstream, but on the other hand markups in luxury markets tend to be extreme.

Personally, I think it's fine if they want to make very expensive boots, I'm all for it and I love seeing the work even if I can't afford it. But, it would be nice of they offer a range of products, I only want a simple boot with decent leather and without distressing, I can do that myself easily enough.
smile.gif

Also, I own a few pairs of shoes/boots over the baller retail threshold set in this thread all by different makers, and after you get to a certain point you are paying for the design and quality varies quite a bit even among more expensive shoes. So it's nice to get good quality but you can get great quality shoes for much less than baller money, my $250 Lowa heavy backpacking boots will outlast anything in this thread by a large margin.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads