• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well nobody knows the production costs or how many hours goes into producing the leather and then the boot and nobody is going to tell us either. But I'd expect a cost around 5-10% of retail if it's at all typical of other luxury markets I'm more familiar with. There's a lot less economy of scale and a lot more work done by hand, you can't compare them to mainstream, but on the other hand markups in luxury markets tend to be extreme.

Personally, I think it's fine if they want to make very expensive boots, I'm all for it and I love seeing the work even if I can't afford it. But, it would be nice of they offer a range of products, I only want a simple boot with decent leather and without distressing, I can do that myself easily enough. :)  

Also, I own a few pairs of shoes/boots over the baller retail threshold set in this thread all by different makers, and after you get to a certain point you are paying for the design and quality varies quite a bit even among more expensive shoes. So it's nice to get good quality but you can get great quality shoes for much less than baller money, my $250 Lowa heavy backpacking boots will outlast anything in this thread by a large margin.

Dorje have you seen NicelyNice's guidi boots and the hell he put them through... IDK but those things held up really well.

bdude

Reaction score
Love these white augustas dude! Was this the workboot from aw12-13 but in white? Shape is perfect!

fistinyoface

Reaction score
Yes of course i realize. I was unaware that the Italian designers may be setting some special prices in Italy. Although, i was just there a few weeks ago and between Rome/Florence/Venice there were a total of 2 places that carried A1923. Hence, i am not sure the special mark up argument may work here.

I do understand that a special piece will need patterns/lasts/etc. But we are discussing a full run here.

Anyways, all in all, yes there are costs of doing business but for the price to fluctuate so much over so little time is shocking thats all.

You say you get it, but I'm not sure you do. The prices outside of Europe are not going to be the same; they can't be. Forget special pieces and small runs here. A foreign designer's pieces being sold in outside of their domestic market are going to be more expensive. They aren't going to price themselves out of the running.

Simone's prices haven't been fluctuating either. They have always been high. He produces a small amount, comparably, to a small pool of stores. If you don't like it, or can't afford it, then don't buy them. Stop acting like he's doing you a disservice because you think the cost is too high.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Let's go a few steps back and ask why the **** these imperfect shoes cost 4x the price of perfection? Perfection being Vass. **** is hilarious. I've said before that it's much easier to make a beat up/avant-garde style boot than a dress shoe, given the nature of the end result. So I'll never understand the absolutely stupid pricing. I get it, but I don't understand.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone can suggest a comparable alternative to Christophe Lemaire side zip boot? It is gorgeous but the shaft height paired with the side zip is making me cautious to wear it. I cannot bend my ankle essentially. It will take some breaking in and I'm just curious how it will effect the integrity of the zipper pull. Anyone have experience with really stiff leather ankle boots? There is also some heel slip but the shaft really holds your foot in place. If Fuuma is reading this I know you got experience with many makes of footwear like boots :eek:

Last edited:

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love these white augustas dude! Was this the workboot from aw12-13 but in white? Shape is perfect!

These are reverse horse culatta, color bone. Not sure about the year of the collection. I bought them in Moscow. .

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

Let's go a few steps back and ask why the **** these imperfect shoes cost 4x the price of perfection? Perfection being Vass. **** is hilarious. I've said before that it's much easier to make a beat up/avant-garde style boot than a dress shoe, given the nature of the end result. So I'll never understand the absolutely stupid pricing. I get it, but I don't understand.

This is actually a tangent to the issue at hand, but ask yourself this. Why do people buy Rick instead of Schott (It's not exactly the same because I don't see either as perfection, but the point should be clear enough)? Why buy a Dior Homme suit instead of a RLPL? There's a premium paid on design. Whether it's worth the premium is a fair question, but when you cater to a relatively affluent clientele who care more about the good than the price, gradual increases in prices don't really faze the buyer.

shady_2001

Reaction score

You say you get it, but I'm not sure you do. The prices outside of Europe are not going to be the same; they can't be. Forget special pieces and small runs here. A foreign designer's pieces being sold in outside of their domestic market are going to be more expensive. They aren't going to price themselves out of the running.

Simone's prices haven't been fluctuating either. They have always been high. He produces a small amount, comparably, to a small pool of stores. If you don't like it, or can't afford it, then don't buy them. Stop acting like he's doing you a disservice because you think the cost is too high.

no sir, that's B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

there is no boot in the world that is actually worth 2.4k, or even 1.5k (markups, taxes, blah blah). Of course, if you're willing to pay, that's a different story.
Augusta's prices have SKYROCKETED, I could have picked up a derby at half price for about 500 euros IIRC. I know this for a fact because I was deliberating for a long time. Also, there are many small local producers throughout the world. In terms of volume I can't comment because I obviously don't have production figures, but what makes you think Simone is so special in this regard?

--ok this part is my opinion--
Don't believe the joke in "quality improvement". His earliest work circa 2008 was probably the best in terms of leather. Good hides usually cost more than the absurdly deformed ones he puts out today.

I believe they were like 1.2k? Inflation blah blah, but you can't deny price has doubled but..for what reason...?

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicely put, shady. That makes a lot of sense.

And those green ones (both, actually) are ******* beautiful.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Stop thinking of Augusta as if it were a highly commoditized good with many alternatives. It's a luxury good that adheres to a very specific market which happens to consist of wealthy individuals. People with high levels of disposal income do not care if the good costs 1.2k or 2.4k. If they buy it, that's what the good is worth. It may not be the price YOU'RE willing to pay, but worth is not determined until a buyer and a seller mutually agree on a price. Doesn't matter if YOU don't think it's worth it as long as there's someone else who does. If there is a buyer who is willing pay a 200 dollar increase every year for the aesthetic, Simone has every right as the seller to price it that way. If it's rare, people will pay more for it.

Last edited:

fistinyoface

Reaction score
no sir, that's B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

there is no boot in the world that is actually worth 2.4k, or even 1.5k (markups, taxes, blah blah). Of course, if you're willing to pay, that's a different story.
Augusta's prices have SKYROCKETED, I could have picked up a derby at half price for about 500 euros IIRC. I know this for a fact because I was deliberating for a long time. Also, there are many small local producers throughout the world. In terms of volume I can't comment because I obviously don't have production figures, but what makes you think Simone is so special in this regard?

I believe they were like 1.2k? Inflation blah blah, but you can't deny price has doubled but..for what reason...?

I never stated they were worth 2k. They're worth whatever people will pay, and Simone has priced it accordingly. Clearly it's working as the footwear and clothing is selling.

If you want to play the Augusta game then open your wallet and not your mouth.

editing this in: There were boots going for over 2k back in 2008. Like or not, this stuff has been absurdly priced (for us regular folk) as long as it's been around.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
All fair points and worth consideration. I am certain Augusta's volume is not anywhere near any of the big house English manufacturers, and probably even smaller than Vass and St. Crispin. However, all of those brands are less expensive at retail (by a wide margin, even St. Crispin which starts at $1600).

Just imagine what would happen if Vass (or Edward Green, or Corthay, just to name 3 different countries' artisans) doubled their price over ~2 years. I am not sure if they would keep even 20% of their customers. Not sure what makes Augusta so special in that regard...

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Well, to a certain degree, English shoes are more commoditized in the sense that you have considerably more alternatives at varying price points with marginal differences in shape. I'm clearly no expert on English shoemaking, but it's harder for me to tell the difference between, say, a Vass and an Edward Green. I'm sure I could if I invested the time to research it, but I digress. The same can't be said for Augustas, Carpes, M.A+, IS, etc. Yes, they're all "similar" in that they all serve the same general aesthetic, but they're different enough that people are willing to pay accordingly. They're not close enough to be considered substitutes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads