• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get needing to sell them but drives me crazy when people look to turn a profit from it. So not my style...

I would image that is the only reason they bought them as well. Quite possibly...

We are purists. I can see why given someone's potential situation they could seek to maximize their profit. I agree though it feels similar to shelling out three times the ticket value for a nfl game to some hustler who could care less about the team.

Could have sold them here and saved a lot of eBay fees. At cost I would have bought them

I think we all would have...

I can't really tell what the edge trim color is.

He will have to get an extra $100 on eBay to cover their fees. It should be interesting to see what they go for, probably $850-$900.

I am still bitter I lost the #4 Chukkas. Been 3 months and still not over it...

$750 after fees is $670 or so for the seller. Now if the seller searched 4-6 months for the shoe then it didn't fit him since he didn't get to try on first or bought them in the morning on a trip (with sales tax too) before his feet expanded then at $670 he is actually losing money.

Not sure where this ridiculous entitlement comes from. And chances are he doesn't know about styleforum neither. And if he lists here he would still need money to cover PayPal fee, shipping (an if he has no experience then 15-45 minute post office wait) and countless lowball offers. $750 is a pretty damn fair price for the seller. The seller shouldn't have to lose money so you can pay retail price on a pair of shoes. Should I go into leathersoul and demand them to sell me those new plaza boots for $400?

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is tough. I'd probably do a ravello plaza NST boot. I'd settle for the same in a blucher if I was somehow restricted to shoes.

Ravello plaza nsts boots sounds right.

Either #4 brixton plaza or #4 indy barrie. Altough the ravello plaza nst is close behind.

#4 brixton? That's awesome and crazy even in hypothetical world.

Ravello boot w/ medallion on plaza last or Cigar atom blucher sans medallion.

Yes, cigar atom. You're only allowed one.

Ravello straight tip captoe boot, plaza last, all eyelets, dark edge trim

Ravello plaza boots do look extra nice.

Too bad alden is not asking us for ideas or advice.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

$750 after fees is $670 or so for the seller. Now if the seller searched 4-6 months for the shoe then it didn't fit him since he didn't get to try on first or bought them in the morning on a trip (with sales tax too) before his feet expanded then at $670 he is actually losing money.

Not sure where this ridiculous entitlement comes from. And chances are he doesn't know about styleforum neither. And if he lists here he would still need money to cover PayPal fee, shipping (an if he has no experience then 15-45 minute post office wait) and countless lowball offers. $750 is a pretty damn fair price for the seller. The seller shouldn't have to lose money so you can pay retail price on a pair of shoes. Should I go into leathersoul and demand them to sell me those new plaza boots for $400?

Before you call somebody entitled I would suggest doing more research. He is a style forum member and specifically lists style forum in the eBay listing. Thanks though

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For lightly worn rare cordovan shoes (under 1 dozen times), I can typically sell on eBay for $150-200 below retail price. For a "tried on" shoe that is basically brand new otherwise, I can get up to $100 below MSRP, or maybe $50 below when lucky. I don't mind that too much given some retailers give $50 off of creased shoes. I have seen some new shoes sell at above MSRP, but it's pretty rare. However, I don't begrudge guys trying to sell at higher prices because at the end of the day it is difficult to make money selling Alden shoes online unless you are buying at thrift shops, recrafting and then selling. I mainly sell because I find that I don't get enough wear out of pairs, some pairs are redundant, etc. Makes this habit less expensive.

Pricing all depends on what size the shoe is, the type of buyers that are in the market (actual buyers versus resellers, etc). My size on eBay has a decent selection of buyers who are buying for themselves and obvious Japanese resellers who are probably proxying or selling at some sort of store in Japan. Makes for a decent market. Styleforum is a good market as well, but sometimes it takes too much time (a lot of negotiating, responding to queries, etc).

Speaking of eBay, someone is selling a color 9 8 PTB in my size at a decent price...

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Before you call somebody entitled I would suggest doing more research. He is a style forum member and specifically lists style forum in the eBay listing. Thanks though

Where does it say SF?

And either way just sounds like you guys are complaining over pretty unreasonable stuff

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, it is okay for reasonable people to disagree. It is a philosophical difference no more no less.

CEE88

Reaction score

I have the LS Plaza monk in #8. I'm a TTS 10.25. I generally wear a 10D Barrie (but have a couple pairs of 9.5s that fit well) and a 10.5D in the Plaza. Perhaps it was due to them being shell, but a 10D in this fit perfectly. I have a couple other pairs of the same monk in calf and they're 10.5s. Hope this helps. It's a fantastic shoe which I think looks better on the Plaza than the Aberdeen.

Thanks RE, I figured somebody out there had one. Any pics? I was checking out the blue suede version, and an internet search revealed all the previous incarnations - I think LS first offered the plaza monk strap in 2008. Still not sure about the blue suede in combination with monk strap - might be great, might be a bit much.
:cheers: Have a great weekend.

CEE88

Reaction score

Ravello plaza nsts boots sounds right.
#4 brixton? That's awesome and crazy even in hypothetical world.
Yes, cigar atom. You're only allowed one.
Ravello plaza boots do look extra nice.

Too bad alden is not asking us for ideas or advice.

MrDV -
Great question - and replies.
I'd be happy if they'd just offer more #4 - an NST boot would be great, or perhaps a LWB.
More 4!

green garden

Reaction score
What would you gentlemen order if alden offered a one-time-only special order?
Navy blue shell Leffot Naval Boot. Of course it will never happen.
censored.gif

Resistant

Reaction score
Last I spoke with Alden DC they had cigar plain toe Barrie 8E 675$ or so plus a tax is also possible

Is color 4 darker than Ravello?

green garden

Reaction score
Found myself in San Francisco on my way back to Dublin so having looked up Alden on Google maps I took a trip to 170 Sutter. What a nice shop and very helpfull staff. I did not have any particular shoe in mind except that I always wanted a pair of Alden and they are not easy to come by on this side of the Atlantic. Eventually I settled on these:

They feel like a very solid shoe, I can only imagine what the doubled soled ones feel like, anyway the leather does seem nore substantial than my C&J Handgrades so does this mean they will take a while to break in. Either way am loving my first pair of Alden.
smile.gif

Gerry, nice pick up. Beautiful shoes. Congratulations. They do take a while to break in so take your time - wear them for an hour or two inside for a while.
I've never visited the Alden San Fran shop - sounds great. Wear your shoes in good health.
+1 on Alden SFO service. I am lucky to be near enough this store to fit. As we all know Alden lasts are notoriously difficult to make sense of. My first ever Alden is the 990. Robert asked me my typical shoe size and brought out 4 pairs of 990s for me to try. He kept on asking me to wear different pairs and I every time he put a different shoe on, I kept asking him what size I was wearing. Every time we would say, "I'm not going to tell you. Just tell me which one you can walk out with today that feels great on your feet." Sure enough, what I ended up feeling comfortable with was totally unexpected, and I've never had a better fitting shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads