• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score

+1 on Alden SFO service.  I am lucky to be near enough this store to fit.  As we all know Alden lasts are notoriously difficult to make sense of.  My first ever Alden is the 990.  Robert asked me my typical shoe size and brought out 4 pairs of 990s for me to try.  He kept on asking me to wear different pairs and I every time he put a different shoe on, I kept asking him what size I was wearing.  Every time we would say, "I'm not going to tell you.  Just tell me which one you can walk out with today that feels great on your feet."  Sure enough, what I ended up feeling comfortable with was totally unexpected, and I've never had a better fitting shoe.    

Thanks for the info, gg. Another reason to visit the CIty by the Bay (Unionmade being another).
So he had you trying on shell for fit? I've always wondered about that. The one and only time I tried on shell in person, I know the shopkeeper was pretty nervous about creasing and walking anywhere there wasn't carpeting.

REguy

Reaction score

Thanks RE, I figured somebody out there had one. Any pics? I was checking out the blue suede version, and an internet search revealed all the previous incarnations - I think LS first offered the plaza monk strap in 2008. Still not sure about the blue suede in combination with monk strap - might be great, might be a bit much.
:cheers: Have a great weekend.

LS #8 Plaza monks with silver buckles and ubiquitous Alden Thread argyle socks...

LSMonks.jpg

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Weird doesn't show up on my phone
But regardless my point was in general over the mass of people complaining about a pretty fair price. And nothing's preventing somebody to contact the guy here if they want the shoe

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blurry pic after a loooooooong day. got tired of trying to focus

no argyles today
cool.gif

brooklyn

Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Looking to buy my first pair of cordovan shoes and wanted some opinions on a pair of chukkas vs longwings. I want a versatile shoe that can be worn with a suit as well as a pair of jeans.

I joined the club today and purchased a pair of LWB color # 8. I had a few gift certificates from jcrew and ended up paying less than half for the them:). Had them shipped to save paying NYC tax so I have to wait until next week to get them. Is it normal to feel nervous about wearing them?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, gg. Another reason to visit the CIty by the Bay (Unionmade being another).
So he had you trying on shell for fit? I've always wondered about that. The one and only time I tried on shell in person, I know the shopkeeper was pretty nervous about creasing and walking anywhere there wasn't carpeting.

I was at Alden SF and was helped by Robert as well. I tried on the #8 straight tip on the Grant last. Robert didn't say anything about being careful creasing, etc. I was the one who told him I'd be careful and asked him how he dealt with the situation. He seemed not too concerned and I got the impression that they definitely are the other extreme from say A of C. There was a German tourist trying on some #8 shoes and he was walking, bending, etc. and the other SA didn't seem to mind.

I guess they get enough customers who aren't as concerned with creases as some of us are that it's not a problem. Anyway, great staff, creat customer service.

green garden

Reaction score
Yeah, I did ask Robert about people fitting shell after I knew him better (visited more than once). He cringes. The store is carpeted wall to wall and they won't object you walking around. But knowing what we know about shell, I wouldn't abuse the privilege. Just remember that you're not breaking them in. You want to ensure that these people can still sell the shoes since it is how they make their living. Besides, you would know rather quickly if the shoes are a good fit or not. If you're convincing yourself that it's a good fit, then it probably isn't. Another Robertism - "Your feet are not going to change, and assume the shoes aren't going to change much either. They fit or they don't." I'm being liberal about quoting him because this probably isn't precise, but you get the point.

Unionmade is a bus ride away from Market. Brooks Brothers has a big store in Post which is the parallel street from Alden (Sutter). If you are a Carmina fan, don't forget Wilkes Bashford has a big presence in Sutter. I haven't been there. Just recently got myself acquainted to Carmina. But will definitely stop by next time I'm in the City.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would you gentlemen order if alden offered a one-time-only special order?

Grant last, #4 shell, Medallion Captoe, Low profile commando, Blind eyelets and speed hooks, 270-storm welt w/ antique edge trim and pull tabs.

EDIT: or maybe even #6 shell. Isn't that more reddish than #4?

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ always a good day for snuff, fantastic. My next Alden goal is to buy as many suede LWBs as possible. I feel like I would get more wear out of those than any other combo.

RTP - that is a great looking LWB. Wear in good health my friend!

I think I agree. Based on my geographics, I think suede should easily be my go-to upper. And it's still relatively "unkown" in the real world (if you follow my understanding).

+1 on your suede gunboats RTP. Looking very suave.
Thank you gents! @El, if by unknown you mean underrated, I certainly agree. @Beetlegeuse, I want the tan suede LWB! Other than the blue suede short or longwing bluchers, not sure if there are others for which I would be interested.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I joined the club today and purchased a pair of LWB color # 8. I had a few gift certificates from jcrew and ended up paying less than half for the them:). Had them shipped to save paying NYC tax so I have to wait until next week to get them. Is it normal to feel nervous about wearing them?
My friend, wear often and in great health!! Post pics if you can. Don't be nervous, just enjoy them. Their comfort is enough to make me happy.
nod[1].gif

CEE88

Reaction score

LS #8 Plaza monks with silver buckles and ubiquitous Alden Thread argyle socks...

LSMonks.jpg

Thanks RE! Actually that silver (rather than gold) buckle is one of the details that interested me in the shoe. The silhouette of the shoe is outstanding, Sir.

CEE88

Reaction score
BootSpell and green garden - thanks for the info. We are all better off for having learned something from you both. Have a great weekend.

alexandchau

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am the seller of the cigar PTB. I've been a long time follower of this thread and a huge Alden fan. I, like many others on this forum, have been bitten by the shell bug. So a few months back, I went on a buying spree bought a lot of shell within a short period of time. Now, with way too many shoes/boots and a little bit of buyer's remorse, I decided to unload a few pairs. It was between a ravello LWB and a cigar PTB and I decided to keep the ravello. I had an ad on styleforum, but didn't have any luck so I decided to post it on eBay. It hurts me to read that I'm only out to make a profit on this sale. Stevent is right, at $750 I'm still looking at around an $80 loss after the eBay and PayPal fees. I would be happy/lucky just to recoup my cost. I did mention the styleforum ad hoping to sell it to one of gents here. Anyway, could we get back to talking about Aldens? Please? Stevent, thanks for having my back, buddy. You da man!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^I'm just mad I missed the ad here. You'd be shipping them to me right now if I would have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads