1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

It's the same in that you are dealing with naturally occurring materials that are hand dyed a light color, and show all flaws / differences and imperfections.

I would turn your point around, and point out that hardwood should be easier to match due to the volume, while the cuts of a shoe can come from two unique equine hind quarters. As such, one can expect more subtle variation in light colored shell, and this is what is typically seen from these shoes.

2. Dicky Dicardo

Dicky Dicardo Well-Known Member

The post about the five-year old shoes got me thinking about my experience with my Aldens. Shortly after college in North Carolina, I moved to Atlanta in the mid 80s. One of my first purchases was a pair of Alden tassel loafers from Jos Bank. Back then, JAB sold pretty good suits and Alden shoes. The latter, BTW, for about $20 less than Brooks. This was long before Styleforum and even before the internet, so I didn't know anything about Alden shoes at the time; but I knew a good shoe when I saw one.

As time went on, I added additional Aldens to my rotation (although I didn't refer to it as that back then) and as I recall they cost about $150 for calf and $225 for cordovan (I don't think the term "shell" was in use.) Eventually, JAB switched to Allen Edmonds (their decline was underway (suits too)) and the only other store that carried Alden (other than Brooks) was one that catered mainly to people with foot and leg-length problems. Wow, how times have changed. I guess it's safe to say that I was Alden when Alden wasn't cool. Anyway, I still have most of the Alden shoes I bought back then and the styles are no different than they are today. They no longer fit though (after many years of the same size, my feet became a little longer and wider) and I need to get rid of them at some point.

As I said, I didn't know much about shoes back then; nor did I know much about shoe care. Consequently, they were pretty much abused with half-soles and a modicum of polish. It's a miracle that they survived all of that. I used regular polish, and probably too much, on the cordovan pair and they always looked dull and hazy; so I never cared much for them and never bought another pair. By the way, there were no different shades of cordovan back then, it was either black or #8.

As the 90s came around, I started dressing more casually and stopped buying Alden shoes although I continued to wear the ones I had, albeit not as much. My preference switched to Cole Haan loafers that were dark tan and matte finished (the Country line is what I think they called it and they were Brazilian made.) This was the height of my sockless days and the shoes worked vey well for that, in that they were unlined. I ruined a pair of Alden calf LHS by going sockless and destroying the lining.

After ten-plus years of Cole Haan and similar lines, my shoes started getting too tight and I needed to replace all of them. By this time, the internet and SF were in full swing and as I learned more about shoes, I'm once again in the Alden game. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had surrived Corporate America becoming more casual and that they had maintained their quality. The internet has also made vintage shoes far more accessible; so my current footwear includes both new Aldens and some excellent examples of fine vintage shoes. It's been an interesting journey. Here are some of my humble original Alden shoes. I'll post some of the new additions in a later post.

All 22 - 28 years old!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    8 people like this.
  3. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I was going to get the Royal Oak. Then I got a job, so I bought the Nautilus instead.

J/K, well done. True masterpieces from the late Gerald Genta.

4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

GREAT story.
    Thank you for sharing this.

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Thanks, I think.
    Lets see. 3700 or 3800?
    I looked at the both as well, but the 3700 was too big for my small wrists.

6. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words.

It was a good day to be outside!

7. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

5712/1A

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Right?

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I'm interested in seeing.
    The body of the 5700/3700 was way too big for me.
    I have a small <7" wrist.

10. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I'll PM you a picture soon. Don't wanna clog up the thread.

I was indeed complimenting your watch - the humor was just a bit of friendly AP/PP rivalry, that's all.

1 person likes this.
  11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I am a huge saddle fan as well. Still furious that I didn't snag the snuff-color 8 saddles from J Crew several years ago... still think they would be my favorite Aldens ever if had gotten my hands on them. @MrDV !! [​IMG]

12. mike fite

mike fite Active Member

[​IMG]
    another day at the office! comfortable in my #8 LWB

2 people like this.
  13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Those are great. I have them as well abd that is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on these. I also really want an all #8 saddle

14. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Nice socks. From where?

15. mike fite

mike fite Active Member

got 5 pair the other day at J Crew DC

16. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Rtp, we're safe. Someone already grabbed the size 10. I think the tan and navy saddles look way nice. It would have been hard for me to resist had they been available.

17. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I'm certain I'd find an answer in this thread somewhere, but it's 787 pages (on my settings) so hopefully no one minds the repost.

What type of treatment do I need to do on my brown CXL (Indys)? They're scratched up and pretty dry and I have no idea what types of chemicals or bones or brushes or clothes I should use on them.

18. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Wipe down with a damp cloth
    Venetian shoe cream
    Finish them with a horsehair brush

1 person likes this.
  19. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

20. thams

thams Senior member

I would also recommend a good boot oil to really replenish the leather. I use Filson boot oil on my CXL leather boots and it does a fantastic job. If they're really dry then I'd apply a coat and let sit overnight. If they're still on the dry side then apply another light coat and see what happens. Once the leather looks supple then wipe down to get rid of the excess oil and brush. You should be good to go then! You can use whatever good leather oil you'd like - I'm just a fan of Filson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.