• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh boy I'm on my slow pony lately
wink.gif

so it's essentially 5 eyelets vs 4...ok!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
oh boy I'm on my slow pony lately
wink.gif

so it's essentially 5 eyelets vs 4...ok!

No, not just the number of lacing holes ... alden has 4 different styles as to how the quarters are attached to the vamp. Look at these photos:

The 4x4 is similar to the chukka, with one piece for the vamp and 2 pieces (on either side) for the quarters.

4x4-1.jpg
whis4.jpg

The regular stock PTB, with a single, big piece for the vamp and quarters and attached to two pieces of leather for the lacing holes (needs big pieces of perfect shells!):

spl1.jpg
93911.jpg

The moc-toe, V-tip and some PTBs are different from regular PTB pattern, with one piece (3 for the U-tip) for the vamp and two pieces for the quarters (similar to the 4x4 but the pattern is very different):

calfv3.jpg
rang3.jpg

bhptb1.jpg
acb3.jpg

All the models listed so far have a seam at the heel like this:

5B_93911.jpg

The final design has the 4 pieces - one piece for the vamp, one piece for the (seamless) heel and two pieces for the sides. The NST is a shoe with this pattern:

nstc1.jpg
age1.jpg

The seamless heel:

5B_2459.jpg

A closeup of the NST design:

2459.jpg

Hope that is clear.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going through LeatherSoul's alden entries makes me want to own more aldens (as if that's what I need).

I really miss the machine stitching on the shell indys.

windy1.jpg
windy3.jpg

Why alden decided to offer shell indys with ONLY handsewn option is a mystery to me. And I am so frustated at myself that I did not grab a pair if shell indys with the old stlye stitching. I am not going to find an unused pair
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
No, not just the number of lacing holes ... alden has 4 different styles as to how the quarters are attached to the vamp. Look at these photos:

Hope that is clear.

Hello,

Thank you for you thoughtful and extremely detailed post. It is much appreciated.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got comparison pictures of the Indy 403 and 405? It's been a couple of weeks since I ordered a pair of Alden and I'm itching to do so again. :p

I have a pair of 405 already, playing with the idea of getting a pair of 403 as well. Thanks!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Hello,

Thank you for you thoughtful and extremely detailed post. It is much appreciated.

indeed! like many things I could tell there was something different but couldn't put my finger on what exactly. great post

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of #8 longwings today... Then I see Epaulet just got in a new shipment of the whisky longings... Should I take the #8s back and get the whisky?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Nooooo!!! #8 is classic and goes with virtually everything - my whiskey long wings are possibly my favorite shoes, but conversely are worn the least of all of them. Keep the #8, and save up again for whiskey. Between all of the Alden retailers, you can almost always find someone with whiskey in stock.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Nooooo!!! #8 is classic and goes with virtually everything - my whiskey long wings are possibly my favorite shoes, but conversely are worn the least of all of them. Keep the #8, and save up again for whiskey. Between all of the Alden retailers, you can almost always find someone with whiskey in stock.

Thanks, this makes sense. This is my first cordovan purchase... I need to go with the classic more versatile color.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree on the #8 being the most versatile color, but I say get the whiskey now and return the #8s.
You know, bird in the hand and all that.
You'll always be able to find #8s.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I agree on the #8 being the most versatile color, but I say get the whiskey now and return the #8s.
You know, bird in the hand and all that.
You'll always be able to find #8s.

+1. Whiskey is not always available; #8 is .

Plus, whiskey is simply a gorgeous color - it is dandyish and strong; #8 is far more subtle and "versatile." But you only live once.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are tempting me on the Whiskey.
frown.gif
The only reason I haven't ordered already is that I have a pair of Longwings from J. Crew x Alden already and I think the hue might be too alike the Whiskey. But still, tempted nonetheless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads