1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Thanks sazon. I've worn them only three times…winter weather isn't conducive to leather soled footwear. Thinking of getting them Vibram'ed. The chukka is my favorite in shell and I really want a pair in whiskey & cigar to complete the set. Never can have too many shoes or boots. : )

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

3. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Crepe - Extremely comfortable. They look very casual, and the edges of the crepe that are visible tend to look "frayed" - also, if you tend to pronate, they do not offer good support.

4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

The front leather on the crepe sole doesn't hold up to water and snow well like the rest of the sole. I wish they'd change that.

5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

The front leather on the crepe sole doesn't hold up to water and snow well like the rest of the sole. I wish they'd change that.
    I guess you have to try to walk only on your heels in the snow then. [​IMG] Personally, I would prefer a commando sole over a crepe sole. The crepe sole seems like too much of an in-between to me.

6. Neilius

Neilius Member

It's true. The plantation sole is fine, but the leather tip is stupid. I bought some "all weather walkers" six months ago, and the leather tip already looks like paper mache. Dumb idea. I'm going to have to take them to a shoemaker and have it cut out and replaced by Vibram or something.
    Also: Why not more suede offerings? I love Alden suede, but there just isn't enough out there. And they should try more colors. I'd buy 'em all.

7. borderline

borderline Senior member

Tripped over a rock in the office today and scuffed the top of my cigar PTBs. Was skeptical of the "just brush it" repair tip but this is how it looked after 20 seconds of brushing. Kind of amazing. I'll do more when I wax them eventually, as you can see some scuffs that didn't totally brush out.

[​IMG]

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Pulled out my #8 captoe boots to wear this morning and I noticed a small indentation on the left side. At first I thought I nicked it, but then I thought it would take quite a brute force to do this much damage and the color on top would be scratched off. It doesn't really bother me much, but I'm curious to see if anyone else got this 'imperfection' from Alden? BTW they weren't seconds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's frequently a notch where the two ends of the welt meet on Aldens. Alden obviously doesn't consider this a flaw, although they seem to be the only manufacturer where this is normal.

9. slide13

slide13 Senior member

nothing to be concerned with, they are Alden's....they pretty much all have their minor flaws and if that is the only thing wrong with them then I say you got a winner of a pair. Don't take that the wrong way, I love Alden boots, but they never seem to have perfect fit/finish in my experieince (and I've had a fair bit of experience with them).

10. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

I guess you have to try to walk only on your heels in the snow then. [​IMG]

Personally, I would prefer a commando sole over a crepe sole. The crepe sole seems like too much of an in-between to me.

Ha! The leather front looks like a bad doggie chew toy after awhile. I hear you on the commando sole bought a pair of AF 32's for the winter...calf chukka with the commando sole. Love 'em.

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

On another note, those who have cordovans...do you guys always pre order? The only 2 that I was able to get right away were #8 and cigar. Whiskey, ravello, and black are pre ordered for me. I don't mind the wait however.

12. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

Tripped over a rock in the office today and scuffed the top of my cigar PTBs. Was skeptical of the "just brush it" repair tip but this is how it looked after 20 seconds of brushing. Kind of amazing. I'll do more when I wax them eventually, as you can see some scuffs that didn't totally brush out.

[​IMG]

Pretty amazing, actually.

13. wmb

wmb Senior member

What do people think of crepe soles?

These look pretty nice except for the crepe soles IMO. The Roy Boot with Horween chamois:

[​IMG]

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1950

I have had 2 pairs of crepe soled Aldens. They are very comfortable and last a long time -- great for the rain too. The leather toe does wear down but this doesn't affect the overall durability, I think it looks kind of cool actually.

14. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

^ I know its been mentioned before, but the double waterlock leather tip on the crepes would certainly look a lot better IMO

15. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I'll add my positive vote for crepe. The leather tip may wear down a little fast, especially if you wear them when wet a lot, but overall it's a great sole and super comfortable. I have comando and the neoprene Indy sole as well and the crepe is definitely the most comfortable in my experience. Anytime I'm going to be doing a lot of walking or standing I reach for my Roys.

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Thought this thread might appreciate these photos. Finally got around to photographing my complete "rainbow of shell" in LHS. Yes, it's not a "true" rainbow, since half are Brooks Brothers and half are Alden, but the colors are all there... at least until somebody does a #4 LHS special makeup... Tom, you didn't hear that! [​IMG]

Sorry for the somewhat overcast lighting, but that's what passes for sunlight this time of year, and it's brighter than it has been for awhile, actually.

From left to right: BB black, Alden cigar, BB #8, Alden mahogany, Alden ravello, BB whiskey.
    [​IMG]

And a closer shot:
    [​IMG]

LHS is the most underrated Alden shoe

17. scb

scb Senior member

so I got my whiskey longwings a few weeks ago but didn't get around to wearing them until today. I commented when I got them in this thread about how the color on the left shoe was 2-tone and posted a picture. people said it would even out

since today was the first time I wore them, it was really the first time i saw them outside in natural light. the 2 colors are pretty striking in natural light.

again, is this normal?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Neilius

Neilius Member

The point is, the shoe is supposed to be an "all-weather walker," which is just nonsense.
    It's a great sole as long as you don't wear it on wet pavement.

19. Jorge

Jorge Senior member

SCB, that doesn't seem right. YES I know the cordovan absorbs the dye differently, but ALDEN is dealing with a lot of leather, I think they should be able to get a pair of shoes to match better. I could see two pairs not looking alike but one shoe not matching it's mate is a qc issue imho.
    Not bashing Alden, I'm a 20 plus year customer (cordovan and calf shoes) of the company, they just seem not to be dealing well with their renewed popularity.

20. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

[​IMG]

With that kind of scuffing, you may also want to employ the "rub real hard with your thumb" technique. That and a bit of wax and no one but you will be able to tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.