1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Zippy-why did you size down on Grant last? Don' they fit true to size?

Because I tried them on a while ago. They do fit a bit snugger than the same size Barrie. I can imagine not having sized down on them.

2. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior Member

So I'm selling my Indy 403s and the question came up as to the difference between the 403 I'm selling (from Union Made) and the 405 offered by J. Crew. Honestly, I can't find the difference other than I think the J. Crew's a have a stained welt. I always thought the 405 were the original Indy's in waxhide, and the 403 were the brown chromexcel. Anyone know? Just want to be able to answer it if it comes up again.

3. slide13

slide13 Distinguished Member

The J Crew boot is not a 405, nor is it a 403. It's special to J Crew and has the stained welt as well as unique heel stitching detail. Otherwise same boot.

4. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

Can someone explain this? I have a pair of Whiskey Longwings (Alden of Carmel) and a pair of Natural Chromexcel (Epaulet Shop) both in the Barrie last and size 8D. The Cordovan Whiskey feels a little pointier and a tad looser than the Natural Longwings. Also, why is the welt or sole edge on the Natural Chromexcel a little wider? Kind of wish my Cordovan Whiskey didn't look as pointy and really liking the snug and wider fit of the Natural Longwings. Is there a reason for the sole being different on the same last even though the leather is different or is this how Alden is making the Barrie last now, which is more like the newer Natural Chromexcels?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior Member

Can someone explain this? I have a pair of Whiskey Longwings (Alden of Carmel) and a pair of Natural Chromexcel (Epaulet Shop) both in the Barrie last and size 8D. The Cordovan Whiskey feels a little pointier and a tad looser than the Natural Longwings. Also, why is the welt or sole edge on the Natural Chromexcel a little wider? Kind of wish my Cordovan Whiskey didn't look as pointy and really liking the snug and wider fit of the Natural Longwings. Is there a reason for the sole being different on the same last even though the leather is different or is this how Alden is making the Barrie last now, which is more like the newer Natural Chromexcels?

Looks like the cxl longwings have a reverse welt, while the whiskeys have a regular welt. The reverse welt will give the appearance of the shoe being wider.

In terms of the whiskey fitting a tad looser, thanks to some helpful SF members I got an answer to this. After Alden takes the last out of the cxl shoe is shrinks back a bit, while when the last comes out of the cordovan, it does not shrink back. It's just the different characteristics of the leathers that cause this.

6. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

Looks like the cxl longwings have a reverse welt, while the whiskeys have a regular welt. The reverse welt will give the appearance of the shoe being wider.

In terms of the whiskey fitting a tad looser, thanks to some helpful SF members I got an answer to this. After Alden takes the last out of the cxl shoe is shrinks back a bit, while when the last comes out of the cordovan, it does not shrink back. It's just the different characteristics of the leathers that cause this.

Mmm, makes me wonder if I should go 1 full size down for Cordovan Barrie lasts oppose to Alden's suggestion of going just half a size down.

7. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

Actually, both shoes have the reverse welt. You just can't see it that clearly in the photos because the leather strip is dyed to same color as the sole edge.

8. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior Member

Mmm, makes me wonder if I should go 1 full size down for Cordovan Barrie lasts oppose to Alden's suggestion of going just half a size down.

Tom, you have any thoughts on this?

9. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

It's been a slow week in the Alden world.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

Alden of Carmel says Aberdeen last fits "slightly longer than regular U.S. size"

if I wear an 8.5 D Barrie, 8.5 E AE Park Avenue (a long, narrow last) a 9D in most standard lasts (albeit a slightly short 9d) what are the odds I would be 8.5D Aberdeen?

11. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Distinguished Member

longwings on half Commando sole.

rainy day black shoes - check.
    [​IMG]

12. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

epaulet posted their whiskey longwings, if anyone happens to be looking...

13. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Distinguished Member

Tom, you have any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't size down a full length.

Don't forget to take width and arch length into consideration when sizing as well though...

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

Tom,

I noticed your famous #4 PTB will soon be coming in other colors. how is this shoe diferent than a standard ptb?

15. srivats

srivats Distinguished Member

Tom,

I noticed your famous #4 PTB will soon be coming in other colors. how is this shoe diferent than a standard ptb?

It is a 4x4 lacing style ... more like a shoe version of the chukka. Look at the #4 PTB and the regular PTB near the lacing area and you'll see the difference. The NST blucher is different from these two as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.