• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gastarbeider

Reaction score

I have been growing more and more fond of the CXL. My only hangup is when the surface gets damaged. Scuffs brush right out, but I have a scratch I cant seem to get rid of on my one pair. I know it adds to the patina over time. I don't wear any of my good boots as "work boots" per se. But the CXL doesn't heal as well as shell does.
scratches like these?

cincikid

Reaction score
My Alden #8 longwing from TSM has arrived today. I am no expert in shell cordovan so I was hoping someone can help me figure out if these are keepers. The only issue with the shoes is a small nick (1/8 of an inch). I am concerned, however, that eventually this nick may evolve into the break. Am I worried too much?

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Alden #8 longwing from TSM has arrived today. I am no expert in shell cordovan so I was hoping someone can help me figure out if these are keepers. The only issue with the shoes is a small nick (1/8 of an inch). I am concerned, however, that eventually this nick may evolve into the break. Am I worried too much?
Cincikid,
You are probably worried too much. Yes, it's a nick. The nick/blemish exists, but it is unclear, based on the picture, how noticeable the blemish is. It is unlikely that creasing along the vamp or other factors will cause a break in the future. Also, you could probably fill the blemish and/or camouflage it with polish and Reno or conditioner.

However, irregulars from TSM are not cheap. So if you have concerns or doubts, perhaps these irregulars are not for you. I am sure someone will be happy to have them. Cheers.

movoblast

Reaction score
For about $250 off that is nothing. I have had firsts that came worse than that, and I've kept them. I would gladly take those for $250 off. You would probably make nicks worse than that during your first wear. Sometimes the small nicks and bumps happen inside the box from the speed hooks and whatnot (which I guess doesn't apply in this case but jus sayin). I really want a pair of LWB and saw those literally the minute the seconds list was out and was contemplating purchasing them, but no more burgundy/color #8 for me. I only have 2 pairs but since I only wear chinos/jeans, they're kinda hard to pair. Congrats on your new 975s though!

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Casual Friday in my Ravello PTB

Happy Weekend!

See Ya,
Steve

Steve,

Sweet Ravello PTBs! Must have taken an extra half shell to make those for you! Amazing that they can do that whole shoe with essentially one piece of shell in a size 20D for you! :)

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Kinda drab look today for a drab day. Rain in the NE today so I went with some CXL.

I have been feeling the CXL these days as well....especially the LHS which is probably my favorite casual shoe....still trying to get comfortable with tassels though!

Sweet samples of CXL. I have those same Brown CXL Dovers, so you of course have excellent taste Tif, but those CXL Tassels are far cooler than I would have expected.

-M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads