• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemo

Reaction score

I have been feeling the CXL these days as well....especially the LHS which is probably my favorite casual shoe....still trying to get comfortable with tassels though!
Looks really good even though LHS is not my thing. Nice mellow cxl glow, the tassels along with the other details comes together well, and if anything draws ones' attention away from the dreaded cxl creases.

GooseG

Reaction score

I have been growing more and more fond of the CXL.
My only hangup is when the surface gets damaged. Scuffs brush right out, but I have a scratch I cant seem to get rid of on my one pair.
I know it adds to the patina over time.
I don't wear any of my good boots as "work boots" per se. But the CXL doesn't heal as well as shell does.

Alden's lined stuff seems to attract scuffs like the plague. The guage is noticeable thinner than my Vibergs, Rancourts, and (gasp) even my OSBs.

For the troublesome marks, I'll put a couple drops of boot oil on my thumb and work it in like I'm polishing sunglasses.

That being said, I've been really beating up my Indys. They need to be cleane and re-heeled.

Deepak Atreya

Reaction score
I came back home to NST calf skin from o'connels and ravello chukkas from TSM seconds. A good day indeed !!
Honestly the seconds look just fine ! On close observation there are little dark blobs like some one spilled oil on it. Any idea what they might be ?
I am totally happy with them . I am sure with age it will blend in with natural shading of shell and add to the patina.
Finally a big thanks to this forum which has been my source of information of all things alden !
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the Ravello seem a little dark in color? Is it the lighting or a dark colored batch? Thanks.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pick ups Deepak. Don't forgot to show day one of the creases on the shell. Going to be a great pair if shoes

Deepak Atreya

Reaction score
Hi Smoothie ,
Might very well be the lighting. It's little gloomy outside today ! I am heading out of town over the weekend. Will post some pictures in natural day light later

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all good. I was merely curious. Nice kicks! Have a decent weekend.

nemo

Reaction score

Alden's lined stuff seems to attract scuffs like the plague...

Is it possible Alden put a glaze on their cxl like they do with the shells? Theirs seems not to exhibit the typical new out of the box greasiness of pull-up leather that I find typical from other makers, but rather has a very nice even wax paper like finish, hence the tendency to show scuffs more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads