• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Want some input from you guys on what you think my first Alden should be. I am having difficulty deciding.

I am leaning towards a boot. But I love the LWB as well. What do you
guys think? Is there a versatile shoe that I shouldn't miss right now?

It really depends on your lifestyle and needs. Personally I wear chinos and jeans more than suits as such boots really provide versatility in my wardrobe. A pair of color 8 or cigar cap toe boots really work well with a variety of casual and dress wear.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always suggest the color 8 longwing or one of the basic Indy boots a first Alden. Both are ready available and sizing should be easy for both. The color 8 longwing goes with everything from suits to chinos to denim while the Indy is an all day, every day boot with jeans and chinos.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EP Duck Rivets
Ravello LWB
7FCAF8F6-D311-4A98-BF10-62ADEDC1AAA2-16790-000010C9E4F3566B_zpscba5c15b.jpg

While shell continues rising, if there was ever a reason to splurge it'd be Color #4 or Red Ravello. Goodness gracious.

Looks like we are about a month or so away from suede season - Here is a photo from the Leffot tumblr to get people ready (two of these are Aldens)

Oh, oh, oh... the beauty...

I love suede. So underrated. Living in the desert, I should definitely have more of this available.

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Want some input from you guys on what you think my first Alden should be. I am having difficulty deciding.

I am leaning towards a boot. But I love the LWB as well. What do you guys think? Is there a versatile shoe that I shouldn't miss right now?

j crew #8 captoe boot.
if i were starting all over, i'd go with that as my first alden.

#8 LWB/WTB on the barrie last is a bit too dressy to wear with jeans, and a bit too blobby to wear with suits. :hide:

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm interested to order Brown wingtip boots from Alden of Carmel.

Does anyone own such pair? I'd like to see it how it turns out. Thank you, gentlemen! :)

Here are mine (AF84 - Barrie). I think they are three years old and I haven't worn much lately as I plan to give to my son when he starts college in the Fall. I had the pull tab added by my local cobbler. Color is closer in the first pic.

ATLVol

Reaction score
PSA

I was in Portland, ME for business and stopped by David Wood Clothiers yesterday (adjacent to a very cool sf affiliate, Portland Dry Goods). He had a few Alden models at 40% off including the unlined suede chukka in Navy, Dark Brown and Snuff. Limited sizes available but an outstanding deal for a great spring/summer shoe. I don't know if he ships but it may be worth a call if interested.

I've owned the tan version 1494 for a few yrs and love them. I picked up the snuff earlier this year. It's the Leydon last but because they are unlined, suede and a blucher they fit my high volume, slightly wide feet TTS.
Thanks for the announcement....I have a pair of naby chukkas on the way!

Just curios, does anyone wear their suede chukkas with shorts in the summer?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j crew #8 captoe boot.
if i were starting all over, i'd go with that as my first alden.
#8 LWB/WTB on the barrie last is a bit too dressy to wear with jeans, and a bit too blobby to wear with suits. :hide:

So the LWB only goes with chinos (not trying to be argumentative, just curious about your thinking)

Depending on what look you are trying to achieve, anything from sneakers/work boots to balmoral boots/shoes seem to go with jeans, so I would think LWB would fit in that spectrum. I can understand the idea about LWB with suits (even though I disagree with it)

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it's my winning personality or maybe it was the 14k John lobb croc monks I ordered. I'd like to think it's my personality.

Got any pics?

Quick question for owners of the BB unlined penny - will they stretch at all? I purchased TTS but down 1 width, 12C, and they are fine in the length and in the heel but tight across the strap. They feel like they've stretched a touch in the five minutes that I've worn them but want to make sure before I return and backorder an 11.5D. Thanks!

If they are just a little tight, I would stick with them. If they are a lot tight, abort. My pairs have been a little snug at first. Sometimes a stitch or two where the strap perpendiculates the side of the shoe breaks, and it solves the problem. Also, your foot will sink a little in to the cork bed, and that will help.

#8 LHS today
Looking good in your PGH LHS, Frank!

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also debating on what I should get as my first pair of Aldens, the Indy boot or the shell indy boot.

I've read a bit about how shell doesn't breathe well but my main concern is the weight. Is there a significant difference in weight between a shell boot and non-shell boot. I have a small physical disability and don't like wearing heavy boots/shoes because it exacerbates my disability, so I'd like to stay with something "lightweight"

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen - Thank you for the compliments on the #4 Captoes. I feel very lucky having gotten these as they were made in an extremely small batch, after initially having been cancelled. The Shoe Mart was the seller.

Part of me wants to keep these pristine and not wear them much due to their scarcity but the other part of me loves the shade and can't help but wanting to wear them often.

docalden2013

Reaction score

PSA

I was in Portland, ME for business and stopped by David Wood Clothiers yesterday (adjacent to a very cool sf affiliate, Portland Dry Goods). He had a few Alden models at 40% off including the unlined suede chukka in Navy, Dark Brown and Snuff. Limited sizes available but an outstanding deal for a great spring/summer shoe. I don't know if he ships but it may be worth a call if interested.

I've owned the tan version 1494 for a few yrs and love them. I picked up the snuff earlier this year. It's the Leydon last but because they are unlined, suede and a blucher they fit my high volume, slightly wide feet TTS.

Follow up on PSA: spoke to Michael, who informed me there are also white bucks with red sole also 40%off. Model 96814. $475 before disc. Is that a real Alden? I feel like I never see white ones other than the JCrew makeup.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was joking about the lobbs, when I saw them I couldn't believe it. I could have 22 pairs of Alden shell or one pair of lobbs? Or perhaps 5 pairs of eg top drawer with 5 pairs of shell Aldens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads