***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

I respectfully disagree. While the C&J maybe the better shoe, the color 8 is much more impressive looking than the dark brown shell. I seriously considered buying the Marlow short wing. The shoe is outstanding (the fit and comfort is better than the Barrie lasted LWB) but I wasn't wow'ed by the color. I have a brown calf, Alden-LWB that looks just as good. But, are you giving up that much in comfort and construction by going to the Alden color 8. IMHO, no. I'd go with the color 8 and use the $250 in savings on another pair of shoes, golf clubs, or whatever floats your boat.

2. furo

furo Senior member

You're missing the point though. You're comparing the look of the shoes new right out of the box. If you were shown a pair of Marlow that's been aged and patina'd, you'd see an entirely different shoe. The color ages extremely well.

It's a no brainer, especially since you stated the Marlow is "a better shoe" and agree that the fit and comfort is better.

If the "extra savings" was of any concern, we'd all be here commenting on our latest acquisitions from Cole Haan and Rockport.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

3. kippy

kippy Senior member

They carry boots. I normally do not see them on the website but whenever I walk into the shop I see black + color 8 boots (wingtips, captoes, indy's, etc) on display on a regular basis.

4. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

They do, maybe my favorite aldens are the black shell captoes i got from them a few months ago. They don't list everything on the site, as mentioned.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Any pics? Are they similar to the #8 on the Grant?

6. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I'm familiar with the patina of the Marlow - I own the wingtips and they are among my favorite cordovan shoes - but color 8 patinas great as well.

As I look down at my #8 longwings, I have noticed I need more color 8 in my collection. Maybe I get something like a color 8 boot while going with the Marlow penny loafer (I've wanted the Marlow penny loafer since high school). I may take Mac's advice and get the full strap in black...

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

9. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

The AldenShop in SF does carry shell boots, but last I checked they were quite low on shell indys and they were not expecting to stock them again. Not sure why. I was also told that their shell indys are all on the barrie last, not trubalance, but both surprised and intrigued me.

10. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Interesting, thanks for the info about Alden SF. I'll go into their shop soon and see what's up.

12. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Marlow is actually less expensive than most alden shells if you catch them during RL's annual 40 something percent off sale. If you play your cards right you can get them for 55% off, i think (their 40% sale plus something they call the 15% kicker on top of it). I forget the details but I did this 2 or 3 years ago and grabbed the plain toe marlows for something like $430 out the door. Beautiful shoes. I also have the old shell standard chukka they called the McCallum in brown shell and that's nice too. A shame they don't offer that boot anymore.

TBH, I slightly prefer Alden's color 8 to C&J's brown shell, while prefering C&J's classic Marlow last and overall styling (esp. on the chukkas) to alden's patterns. So to me it's a wash.

13. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

14. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

quick question. When you guys state to go w/ the Marlow as the same size as Barrie/Trubalance, should I be buying UK 7.5/US 8 (what's printed inside of the shoe) or US 7.5/UK 7?

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I continue to be intrigued by all of the natural chromexcel makeups that flood the market... Can anyone post photos of chromexcel after a few months of wear? I've seen the pic of the longwing really beaten up, but that seems like an extreme wear situation

Or more directly - compare these calfskin longwings for spring/summer wear:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/04/18/alden-shoe-natty-longwing-and-tanker-re-stock-lsw-lsbh/

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.