• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AldenLuver

Reaction score
In this case i'd go with the RL Marlow Penny.
+1 the Marlow Penny is easily the clear winner here and much better bargain since the C&J shell boots typically go for $1200

I respectfully disagree. While the C&J maybe the better shoe, the color 8 is much more impressive looking than the dark brown shell. I seriously considered buying the Marlow short wing. The shoe is outstanding (the fit and comfort is better than the Barrie lasted LWB) but I wasn't wow'ed by the color. I have a brown calf, Alden-LWB that looks just as good. But, are you giving up that much in comfort and construction by going to the Alden color 8. IMHO, no. I'd go with the color 8 and use the $250 in savings on another pair of shoes, golf clubs, or whatever floats your boat.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I respectfully disagree.  While the C&J maybe the better shoe, the color 8 is much more impressive looking than the dark brown shell. I seriously considered buying the Marlow short wing.  The shoe is outstanding (the fit and comfort is better than the Barrie lasted LWB) but I wasn't wow'ed by the color.  I have a brown calf, Alden-LWB that looks just as good.  But, are you giving up that much in comfort and construction by going to the Alden color 8.  IMHO, no.  I'd go with the color 8 and use the $250 in savings on another pair of shoes, golf clubs, or whatever floats your boat.

You're missing the point though. You're comparing the look of the shoes new right out of the box. If you were shown a pair of Marlow that's been aged and patina'd, you'd see an entirely different shoe. The color ages extremely well.

It's a no brainer, especially since you stated the Marlow is "a better shoe" and agree that the fit and comfort is better.

If the "extra savings" was of any concern, we'd all be here commenting on our latest acquisitions from Cole Haan and Rockport.

Last edited:

kippy

Reaction score

I think they do. Last week I called about #8 Indys but they didn't have my size.

They carry boots. I normally do not see them on the website but whenever I walk into the shop I see black + color 8 boots (wingtips, captoes, indy's, etc) on display on a regular basis.

Last edited:

100 yrs

Reaction score

I wonder why Alden SF doesn't carry any shell boots.  Bummer.

They do, maybe my favorite aldens are the black shell captoes i got from them a few months ago. They don't list everything on the site, as mentioned.

terradilavoro

Reaction score

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the patina of the Marlow - I own the wingtips and they are among my favorite cordovan shoes - but color 8 patinas great as well.

As I look down at my #8 longwings, I have noticed I need more color 8 in my collection. Maybe I get something like a color 8 boot while going with the Marlow penny loafer (I've wanted the Marlow penny loafer since high school). I may take Mac's advice and get the full strap in black...

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AldenShop in SF does carry shell boots, but last I checked they were quite low on shell indys and they were not expecting to stock them again. Not sure why. I was also told that their shell indys are all on the barrie last, not trubalance, but both surprised and intrigued me.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Marlow is actually less expensive than most alden shells if you catch them during RL's annual 40 something percent off sale. If you play your cards right you can get them for 55% off, i think (their 40% sale plus something they call the 15% kicker on top of it). I forget the details but I did this 2 or 3 years ago and grabbed the plain toe marlows for something like $430 out the door. Beautiful shoes. I also have the old shell standard chukka they called the McCallum in brown shell and that's nice too. A shame they don't offer that boot anymore.

TBH, I slightly prefer Alden's color 8 to C&J's brown shell, while prefering C&J's classic Marlow last and overall styling (esp. on the chukkas) to alden's patterns. So to me it's a wash.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

triumphman

Reaction score
quick question. When you guys state to go w/ the Marlow as the same size as Barrie/Trubalance, should I be buying UK 7.5/US 8 (what's printed inside of the shoe) or US 7.5/UK 7?

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I continue to be intrigued by all of the natural chromexcel makeups that flood the market... Can anyone post photos of chromexcel after a few months of wear? I've seen the pic of the longwing really beaten up, but that seems like an extreme wear situation

Or more directly - compare these calfskin longwings for spring/summer wear:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/04/18/alden-shoe-natty-longwing-and-tanker-re-stock-lsw-lsbh/

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics