***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

I've also been considering re-soling my kudu chukkas to a commando sole. The lug sole is comfy and all, but i'd prefer the natural edge trim look.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I have cigar captoe boots, and I still wear my Indy 403 on commando sole and my chromexcel chukkas regularly.

Shell cordovan shoes can "look better" than chromexcel, but both have their place. Lest we forget, Indy boots (403 or chromexcel) are "work boots." You can take then hiking, you can wear them in rain or snow, you can wear them in grassy fields, etc. Whenever I think conditions will be variable, I tend to wear my Indys or my chromexcel chukkas. When i am traveling and know I will be facing a rainy day, a sunny day, will be doing walking on various surfaces, I like bringing Indy boots. They can take abuse and still look like "nice" casual shoes. This goes really for any type of chromexcel shoe or boot.

I know some thread participants say that you should treat cordovan boots the same way (i.e. just wear them), but let's be frank, most people on this thread aren't going to abuse cordovan like they will chromexcel (no matter how durable cordovan is). They are going to Mac method them, shoe tree them, Saphir/Venetian them, etc. With my Indy boots, I can not really worry about all that. Wear them, apply some conditioner or whatever when they look like they need it. That's it.

While we love rarer and unique shoes on this thread, more "basic" Aldens (chromexcel Indy, #8 longwing being the two iconic ones) do have their place.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

You can wear Indy boots on the weekends or at night

For me, my Alden rotation
    M-Th
    Longwings, loafers and PTBs in cordovan (mixed in with other brands and materials)
    Fri
    Captoe or chukka boots, PTBs, loafers in cordovan or suede
    Weekend (and I guess some nights during the week)
    Indy/captoe/chukka boots, PTBs in cordovan, chromexcel or suede

Alden has it all covered. Add in select other shoes from other manufacturers and you are set (looking forward to grabbing some RL Marlow penny loafers during the private sale coming up)

4. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

sorry just got confirmation from my SA in bev hills that shell models (marlows) are excluded from upcoming sale of 30% off with 15% kicker. but the sales always change at last minute so it might be added after teh sale begins so check again but as of now they are out :(

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

:fu:

6. dmash

dmash Senior member

if you guys were purchasing a new pair of indys, would you go for double leather or commando sole? pondering a father's day present as it just occurred to me this would be a perfect present for the old man.

I'm thinking commando for durability and because it sort of 'goes' with the indy aesthetic better IMO. he'll also be wearing these in a 'work' environment per say. he just uses regular leather soles for his current boots, but wondering if the added rubber could be beneficial for him.

EDIT- I guess another option though is that I could get regular sole and then just added a layer of vibram which would be way less 'clunky'

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

go with the regular sole. it's tough as nails. the commando is nice and all but i prefer the look of the regular on on the indys

8. CFowler2790

CFowler2790 Active Member

I'm a bit stuck now...My Indys that arrived today are awesome, except the feel to be sloppy, and in the right foot a slight bit more than the left. I got sized at a high end store in Houston and he said I should go 11D but feel like he might have told me my true size and not for the Indy....Also, I usually wear pretty thin socks, its what I find most comfortable, but like the guy said a few pages back, were I to have to outrun a boulder, I think there would be too much slop in them....Should I try going from a D to a C? or going to a 10.5...I have them laced pretty tight to, about a finger width between the laces (if that makes sense) and if I want to I can slide my foot enough to hit my big toe at the end. If it helps any the only other boot I have is a Clarks DB which I sized down 1/2 a size to 10.5 and it fits excellent. My dad who's owned Aldens suggested I use thicker socks which helped a little bit and some insoles to raise my foot some, which to me seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Oh yea and ordered from Shoe Mart and I'm just wearing them around the house, so exchange shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: It slops around front and back and left to right, not just in the ball but the whole foot, even the heel especially the right foot.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

the executive model works for both shoes and boots

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew
    good looking cigar, enjoy wearing

11. amftx

amftx Well-Known Member

Size down to a 10.5 or maybe a 10.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good looking cigar

13. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

I did the three pairs of shoe trees deal and bought three shoe racks that hold four pairs of shoes each for $12.25 each.

14. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Yeah, this. I like speed hooks, personally.

15. docstradamus

docstradamus Member

To update, I think I'm pretty happy after going down a full size to an 8.5D (Clarks DB is a 9, if that matters). Took the dog for a walk (didn't encounter any boulders) and, yeah, I'm not ready to use the term glove-like, but they feel pretty damn good, albeit snug. Didn't intentionally step in goose shit, but I went ahead and interpreted that as the final sign that this was the right boot. As much as I honor the advice on sizing from seasoned veterans, I just really felt like this type of leather should be pretty snug on my foot when brand new (so as to hopefully achieve the glove-like fit?). Thanks to all for the advice.

[​IMG]

As far as the chunkiness of the Indy, I don't know, I like it--it beats the hell out of any other "work" boot I've seen. Then again, the rugged look is not something I'm running from (see avatar).

BTW, probably going to be looking to get rid of lightly worn J Crew Indy in a 9D, if anyone's interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.