1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Do you know if J Gilbert stocks E widths in these plaza boots

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

ahh you're right, didn't notice the side stitching. these do look nice... :inlove:

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've got a pair of Comipel cordovan Tricker's.
    It isn't as thick as Horween but no complaints. I'm not quite sure what that guy was ranting about.

Meermin gets their cordovan from Argentina.

4. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

does it smell as nice as Horween's? that's some of the best smelling leather to me. I know it's tanned for a very long time, maybe Comipel doesn't spend as long tanning theirs, hence it not being as oily, smelling the same, and getting welts (from the lack of oil).

5. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Not a huge fan of the crepe sole on the Dover. It seems to me that a $600+ shoe should have a leather sole. Much prefer the 2nd version shown by Alcibiades. My 2¢.

6. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

7. SCOTT FREE

SCOTT FREE New Member

I was hoping someone here could help me out. Assuming Alden is still the manufacturer for some of the shoes in Brooks Brothers' line, could anyone tell me what last these are built on? I take a 9 in the aforementioned pair, and I'm trying to figure out what the equivalent Trubalance size would be (as I'm pretty certain this pair is not trubalance).

Thanks in advance.

8. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

I think it's a very different shoe for a reason...the dark crepe sole against the much lighter 360 welt and the matched eyelets gives it a modern look that almost reminds me of something you'd see from a designer like CDG or someone along those lines.

the orignal PTB is a classic of course but this seems meant to be more a of a denim shoe than an all purpose dress shoe.

9. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

yep that's what i was hoping for WHEN I KOPPED THEM OVER THE PHONE A FEW MINUTES AGO. :slayer:

thanks again for the heads-up on those. :fistbump:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I bought the Winn Perry version of this shoe from a Styleforum member (it has blind eyelets). I see it as my foul weather cordovan shoe. The crepe gets good traction in the rain. You can wear it with grey pants to work on a rainy day or wear it with denim or chinos when you know will be facing wetter conditions. It's a great makeup in certain circumstances

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

13. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Alden for Obscura Cap Toes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Nice. French blues or petrol? Nvm, saw the Epaulet fit

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

I have Russell Moccasins with crepe soles that are great. Really like the crepe, just not on cordovan Alden's. I'm happy for you guys who like them. Just not my cuppa. Now, those Whiskeys with antique edge trim, that's the ticket!

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I always liked this makeup

17. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Haha my thoughts exactly; these belong to my friend who lives in Tokyo. We hadn't talked about Alden's and I realized that his beat up PTBs were of the distinct shell material. I asked him what they were and to my surprise... they were Aldens! I was horrified at the price, he has two pairs one in black one in Color 8, both setting him back about $1,000 USD a pair. Pretty wild. It is no surprise he declined my offer to find him more Alden's... if I was paying $1,000 a pair... :embar:

18. stevent

stevent Senior member

^^^ it's Japan though, taxes bring up prices on everything. Alden's at $1000 is pretty standard for any nice imported shoe

19. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Yeah that's true, I forgot about that. I think Beams had very standard Aldens for around $800 a pop...

20. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior member

Oh snap, ultimate jumpers back in at LS. Man I want a pairrrrr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.