***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b-ill

b-ill Senior member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I was trying on the 975's this week at J. Crew in Copley Sq., Boston. I have to admit that the calf longwings in dark brown and waxed brown look MUCH better in person than on their website. I had my heart set on #8 shell but the dark brown's really sharp in person.

3. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Just noticed your post regarding this. Ever since my Leffot Color 8 LWB w/antique edge arrived I thought something looked different than the pics on the site, and only just today realized what it is (can't believe I didn't notice sooner). I haven't even had a chance to wear these outdoors, and am wondering if I can return them.

When you returned did they give you grief?

4. East Tide

East Tide Member

Question for the group.

My whiskey PTB came in today and are quite handsome.

I don't wear black but will be wearing these with khakis, a tan chino summer suits, grey wool suit, and even a summer weight navy suit. I've been reading about what most folks feel is the most versatile shell and the general consensus is the #8.

Specifically, my question is this- Do you think the #8 Cap Toe Boot (J. Crew) or the whiskey PTB is more versatile. I understand the whiskey is not a fall/winter shoe but am unsure if the cap toe boot is appropriate for summer suits? Which do you feel would be more versatile as I'm just starting out and can't add to the obsession too rapidly.

Thanks,
    ET

5. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Yeah, it took me looking at them a little bit to realize it, too. I called them to confirm that I wasn't crazy, and Colin was super helpful. He basically said: "Yup, you're right. For some reason Alden decided to do that w/ the larger sizes (mine were a 10, so I don't know where they started making the distinction). It's our fault, and if you want to return for either credit or a full refund, you're welcome to." So, I thought about it, and then I returned (they were unworn and only tried on carpet). They were super helpful and even paid for the shipping back to them, along w/ refunding my *original* shipping. I will give them business again, for sure.

I do know they are planning to receive a Ravello LWB w/ double waterlock sole soon. Some sizes are reserved, buy if anyone is serious call and ask about availability. Colin also told me they will reorder the #8 w/ antique edge (and the natural CXL) but won't get the stock until next fall/winter. I asked about LWBs w/ that sole, since I either want that or commando for the NW.

6. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

Whiskey is nice, but I would say the #8 captoe is more versatile. I would say that #8 and cigar are the most versatile colors.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

8. East Tide

East Tide Member

Thanks zizzou- do you wear those in the summer as well?

9. onijo84

onijo84 Senior member

A quick sizing question.

Grabbed the Alden for Jcrew lowgwings in size 10. I wear 43 in Common Projects(pardon me for the CP reference). Do you guys think this will turn out fitting right?

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

Well, I just received them today. I'll wear mostly calf in summer. Shell doesn't breathe as well, especially boots. I'll probably wear them all year except the two or three hottest months here.

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I have a whiskey PTB and a #8 plain toe boot. For my work environment, the #8 color is definitely more versatile. However, my #8 is a boot so it will see less action during warmer seasons.

another variable is the rarity of color, which I am sure everyone will agree, is the whiskey. You can always find a #8 anytime in the future but a whiskey might be a more difficult search.

12. sazon

sazon Senior member

Uncle - great looking short wings!

13. sazon

sazon Senior member

^ Thanks Seer!

14. advan031

advan031 Senior member

When did u return it? That's my size and I will buy it...I like the flat welt.

15. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Actually the pair I have are size 10 (got the last pair), and I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want to do with them. I emailed Colin, just waiting to hear back from him.

It's weird, longwings with flat welt seem rather rare, now that I've been looking for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.