• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apropos of that, here is a recent photo of my color 8 captoes that I stripped the acrylic from earlier this year (I refinished them with Saphir cordovan creme, Collonil, and Pure Polish waterproofing). Over the summer I sent them to Aram to replace the soles with Neocork, which I wanted to try out. They are my Indy boots, since Trubalance doesn't work on my feet. I find they now have a deeper, matte-like finish than before, which I think goes well with boots. My main complaint with the acrylic finish is that it scuffs, and the scratches are very hard to brush out. On the other hand, without the acrylic they do get little dings pretty easily.

View attachment 1863312
Those look fantastic.

I think the whole acrylic thing depends on the boot for me. I could see doing it with my Mahogany Indys, and your boots look fantastic, but not sure I'd do it with my Ravello wingtip boots or my old Leffot #8 Naval boots. Maybe the less brogueing/etc. the more I like the idea...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2nd one was the only one I absolutely couldn't stand, and as long as they don't repeat that one........
Agree. The 4th one didn't seem to know what it wanted to be, and the ending was weird, made worse by all the cheesy effects.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hunting green for a Friday.

IMG_2423.jpg

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with shell that has a tiny hole like this? I've had the lasting holes on the back side of the boot peeking through before, which isn't a problem, but never in this area. I have to imagine, being so small, it's a non-issue?

IMG_9957.jpg

smmrfld

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with shell that has a tiny hole like this? I've had the lasting holes on the back side of the boot peeking through before, which isn't a problem, but never in this area. I have to imagine, being so small, it's a non-issue?

View attachment 1863482
For the money Alden charges for shell, you shouldn't be stuck with a hole or the surrounding finish flaw. I’d return them.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot going on in this post guys. First, shoes. These Old Bronze are kind of tweeners for me so today I'm going to try them with denim. Antique tends to lean casual but the flat welt is oh so nice. Barrie last is the tie-breaker so today, with denim.......

20221203_OldBronze3.jpg
20221203_OldBronze2.jpg
20221203_OldBronze1.jpg

Going to stray from Alden at this point. It's always tough when you have to return footwear that you've been waiting anxiously for but these, at 42.5, are a bit too large for my 8.5D Barrie feel. Going down to 42 but there was so much room I'm not so sure I couldn't go down a full size. Anyone with experience in this sizing grid who is willing to offer advice is appreciated. My reason for mentioning is that I am blown away by the quality of these shoes. I literally had to run my fingers across the welt to see where it was connected. And everything else about these chukkas was completely flawless. I've never heard of this company but saw these in my IG thread and fell in love.

Also, one of my normal Saturday morning stops is a coffee shop in my old neighborhood and I will be wearing my high school gear with pride as my little (now) school (affectionately known as 'The House') with a graduating class of less than 200 just won the W. Pa football championship and is headed to the State championship. We haven't had a City League team make it to state's in well over 30 years so there is so much pride in the City of Pittsburgh right now for my Bulldogs.

12032022_The House.jpg

Unfortunately that enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that two days ago a 4-year old from the neighborhood was yet another victim of gun violence. Think about this for a second. These young men, many who knew this bright shining star, were literally weeping hours before going out and fighting for something that they knew, meant so much to their community. Good lord man. We have to be better than this!!

Have a good weekend gang!

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot going on in this post guys. First, shoes. These Old Bronze are kind of tweeners for me so today I'm going to try them with denim. Antique tends to lean casual but the flat welt is oh so nice. Barrie last is the tie-breaker so today, with denim.......

View attachment 1863777 View attachment 1863778 View attachment 1863779

Going to stray from Alden at this point. It's always tough when you have to return footwear that you've been waiting anxiously for but these, at 42.5, are a bit too large for my 8.5D Barrie feel. Going down to 42 but there was so much room I'm not so sure I couldn't go down a full size. Anyone with experience in this sizing grid who is willing to offer advice is appreciated. My reason for mentioning is that I am blown away by the quality of these shoes. I literally had to run my fingers across the welt to see where it was connected. And everything else about these chukkas was completely flawless. I've never heard of this company but saw these in my IG thread and fell in love.

Also, one of my normal Saturday morning stops is a coffee shop in my old neighborhood and I will be wearing my high school gear with pride as my little (now) school (affectionately known as 'The House') with a graduating class of less than 200 just won the W. Pa football championship and is headed to the State championship. We haven't had a City League team make it to state's in well over 30 years so there is so much pride in the City of Pittsburgh right now for my Bulldogs.

View attachment 1863780

Unfortunately that enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that two days ago a 4-year old from the neighborhood was yet another victim of gun violence. Think about this for a second. These young men, many who knew this bright shining star, were literally weeping hours before going out and fighting for something that they knew, meant so much to their community. Good lord man. We have to be better than this!!

For the XBXS boots the lasts are a bit roomy. If you can wait till next year, they are going to have a US presence and stock boots here which will be easier to navigate for most people. Should be some announcements about it in the coming months.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the XBXS boots the lasts are a bit roomy. If you can wait till next year, they are going to have a US presence and stock boots here which will be easier to navigate for most people. Should be some announcements about it in the coming months.

Definitely good info my-man. I've already started the return/exchange process so I'll see how the 42's work. But I really like their sense of style and can certainly see me buying from them in the future. Having a US presence makes that even more likely.

Much appreciated, thanks!

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1863777 View attachment 1863778 View attachment 1863779

View attachment 1863780

Love those Old Bronzes! Seen a pair in person at the Brogue Trunk Show and they're incredible!

Also, sorry to hear about the tragedy of that young child. Unfortunately, I fear everyone will soon be affected by this whether they personally know (or have someone that they know) who has been affected by gun violence. A kid I coached was killed during the UCSB mass shooting and I think about him often.

Bless those kids (and the entire community) who are going through so much and playing for much more than a championship. Sports has a unique way of uniting a community, and I wish them well in their journey!

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Brushed and ready for a business trip this week. These are tanks -- thick shell with almost a surface nap that picks up a glow after light brushing. And unlike some other horween shell I have, these things laugh at rain and nary a water spot despite having been through a downpour or two. Perfect for dressing up or down while traveling
IMG_20221204_143421.jpg
IMG_20221204_143357.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads