• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG123

Reaction score
If anyone here has had a pair resoled/restored by Alden Shoe Company, please advice if the fit remained the same. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would you consider this as a lightweight and flexible sole? I am planning to resole an Indy as a spring summer boot for casual office wear and want to get rid of heft and bulk. I am also leaning towards single waterloc sole but would like to hear what others prefer as a lighter boot sole. I don’t want either crepe or cavity wedge for aesthetic reasons.
I consider it a lightweight flexible sole.

smokeyjoe

Reaction score
Are Van & Barrie lasts similar ? Looking to purchase my second pair online but I don’t want to miss on sizing if I can help it .

I am an 8.5E in the 986 shells (they fit perfectly) - wanted to try a different Alden model out (looking for my first pair of black boots) but they are a different last .

Any help would be greatly appreciated , new to the Alden world . TIA ~

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone here has had a pair resoled/restored by Alden Shoe Company, please advice if the fit remained the same. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
A resole doesn't mean a relast so it shouldn't change the fit at all. The welt will remain in tact and thus the insole won't be effected meaning only external layers are replaced. If a relast is necessary they will use the original last the shoes came on so they will fit closer to like when they are new, but that is a much more extensive and expensive job and I believe they'll contact you to discuss that before proceeding as well.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t speak from first-hand experience, but my understanding of Alden (and Allen Edmonds, etc.) is that they always re-welt and don’t use the same holes thus limiting the number of future re-soles and often leading to more snug fits after recraft.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t speak from first-hand experience, but my understanding of Alden (and Allen Edmonds, etc.) is that they always re-welt and don’t use the same holes thus limiting the number of future re-soles and often leading to more snug fits after recraft.
I can't speak to Alden re-craft, but have had AE re-crafted at the factory and they came back unwearable. Seems like they "shrunk" 1/2 size. Had to donate them to charity.

DG123

Reaction score

That concerns me because I have a great fitting pair of 405 boots and don't want that to change. But, after 8 years of regular wear the sole should be replaced and the interior lining has a couple of holes within the heel area. I don't mind paying Alden's $185 restoration charge, but if the fit of the boots will change significantly I should probably just not have the restoration done.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That concerns me because I have a great fitting pair of 405 boots and don't want that to change. But, after 8 years of regular wear the sole should be replaced and the interior lining has a couple of holes within the heel area. I don't mind paying Alden's $185 restoration charge, but if the fit of the boots will change significantly I should probably just not have the restoration done.
Have you contacted one of the shoe shops recommended on this thread. Aram, Bedos, et al?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second @audog

I would send to Steve at Bedo’s. Your job will be $500+ but you get what you pay for. My 405s are coming apart at the welt and when I can muster up the courage to be away from them for a few weeks they’re going to Steve (already emailed him).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I second @audog

I would send to Steve at Bedo’s. Your job will be $500+ but you get what you pay for. My 405s are coming apart at the welt and when I can muster up the courage to be away from them for a few weeks they’re going to Steve (already emailed him).
To get another 5, 6,7 10 years out of a pair, that is a reasonable price.....of course one could buy a new pair for not much more, but then have to break them in (although with Alden, I have never had a "break-in issue")

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Are Van & Barrie lasts similar ? Looking to purchase my second pair online but I don’t want to miss on sizing if I can help it .

I am an 8.5E in the 986 shells (they fit perfectly) - wanted to try a different Alden model out (looking for my first pair of black boots) but they are a different last .

The usual advice is to go with the same size in both Van & Barrie.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get another 5, 6,7 10 years out of a pair, that is a reasonable price.....of course one could buy a new pair for not much more, but then have to break them in (although with Alden, I have never had a "break-in issue")
I mean, you know I have a brand-new-in- box pair of pumpkins on standby (haha), but I like the romantic notion of keeping my boots and shoes for as long as I can.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, you know I have a brand-new-in- box pair of pumpkins on standby (haha), but I like the romantic notion of keeping my boots and shoes for as long as I can.
OMG, another person with a pair of pumpkins on standby, in the box...I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, another person with a pair of pumpkins on standby, in the box...I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that.
And what’s WORSE is I ordered a third pair (backup for the backup) and they were back to the old brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads