• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Hi not sure if this is the right place to be asking for sizing advice.

I’m looking to purchase my first Alden (modified last, since I have wide forefoot, narrow heel asian foot shape). I have tiny feet but relatively wide forefoot (5.5ee on left foot and 6e on right) I was measured in the store in Japan.

Unfortunately all the shoes imported by the distributor in Japan are in D width and I was offered 6.5d in modified last. It feels a bit tight on the right side (no pain, slight pressure). I wear 7ee in new balance running shoes if it helps. (37 regular on the Birkenstock Arizona, but pinkie is a bit squeezed). Usually I size up to accommodate my wide forefoot (don’t like squeezed toes, I had bad corns on my pinkie toe that took a year to go away).

Do you recommend that I try to look for 6E or is the 6.5D a possible compromise? Would 6.5E be too big?

I look forward to your advice!

I think 6E is a good start. It also depends on the socks you plan on wearing with them. 6.5E might be too big.

Take care on the length. If they are too long, the ball of your foot may not be sitting in the widest part of the boot. Especially on Modified last, you want to make sure the ball is where it should be.

If the length is good, go up a width. Note that a 6E will be wider than a 6.5D.

Can't the retailer place a special order for you on the next run? Unless you are confident that the 6.5D will break in comfortably, I would order the correct size.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just received my new Alden 403s. Hopefully I can post a pic before a certain number of posts. I wear a 11 1/2 in the Allen Edmond Daltons so I thought an 11 would work for the Aldens, but no I ended up having to return for a size 10 1/2. These fit like a glove now though!

P4ugwb8.jpg
Welcome to the forum and to the thread. Now that you have Daltons and Indys, I would be interested in your opinions on comparison. You are so new to the Forum that you are not yet influenced by the regulars on the various threads.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and to the thread. Now that you have Daaltons and Indys, I would be interested in your opinions on comparison. You are so new to the Forum that you are not yet influenced by the regulars on the various threads.
Wait, we are influencers???? Good point though, and a comparison between Indy's and Daltons would be nice.

-Skyfall-

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and to the thread. Now that you have Daaltons and Indys, I would be interested in your opinions on comparison. You are so new to the Forum that you are not yet influenced by the regulars on the various threads.
I dress mostly casual and business casual so the Indys are probably more my typical style.

Comfort wise it’s not even close. Indys all the way. First time I wore the Daltons I had blisters. I can tell that won’t be an issue with the Indys.

I do like the Daltons though. A little more dressy for certain situations. I think the two make a good combo. Dalton for dressy occasions, and Indys for casual.

if I could go back I might have got crocket and jones consiston boots instead of the Daltons lol, but they’re twice the price so probably a good thing I didn’t know about them at the time. Maybe next year.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dress mostly casual and business casual so the Indys are probably more my typical style.

Comfort wise it’s not even close. Indys all the way. First time I wore the Daltons I had blisters. I can tell that won’t be an issue with the Indys.

I do like the Daltons though. A little more dressy for certain situations. I think the two make a good combo. Dalton for dressy occasions, and Indys for casual.

if I could go back I might have got crocket and jones consiston boots instead of the Daltons lol, but they’re twice the price so probably a good thing I didn’t know about them at the time. Maybe next year.
Alden makes boots that rival the appearance of the Daltons, but fit like the Indy's :)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden makes boots that rival the appearance of the Daltons, but fit like the Indy's :)

On reflection I should feel bad that I asked the new guy that question. Almost like asking a new guy in a bar if he is voting for Biden or Trump. Naw, I’m good with it.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Happy Monday Alden Fans!
This is a difficult post to write, but it has become "painfully" obvious to me over the past month or so, that I MUST wear my custom orthotics with all footwear. With boots, this isn't an issue, and boots provide a needed ankle support. The orthotics keep foot in proper alignment. As they are custom, they do not work well with shoes, even if on same last as boots. The geometry is just not right and they cause the heel to ride just a bit too high in the heel cup, which makes wearing the shoes uncomfortable in a different way. A trip to the Podiatrist this morning confirms my thoughts. Therefore, I will be listing shoes on the B/S/T thread later today and perhaps as well tomorrow, not all of them, as some I simply love too much to list at this time, but some, in a variety of leathers. My foot pain may become someone's foot gain. Have a great week everyone.

I'm not sure if this has been covered but I believe the Alden CDI last is what you need/want. Moulded Shoe in NYC and Shoe Mart in CT appear to have shoes made on the CDI which is built to accommodate an orthotic.

From the Moulded Shoe website:
CDI (Contour Depth Inlay) Last
Added Depth with Alden Insoles

And, if you are into the other A shoe company, I believe their 42N last (shoes and boots) is made to accommodate an orthotic but I have heard it runs narrow/short so keep that in mind.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here you go @audog ! Taken just now in MN
View attachment 1481026
I don't like snow, but live in the Midwest, so it is going to happen. Although this year, I'm kind of excited to try out the EGO battery snowblower I got last spring on closeout at Home Depot...Heck, even bought a pair of boots just for snowplowing :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been covered but I believe the Alden CDI last is what you need/want. Moulded Shoe in NYC and Shoe Mart in CT appear to have shoes made on the CDI which is built to accommodate an orthotic.

From the Moulded Shoe website:
CDI (Contour Depth Inlay) Last
Added Depth with Alden Insoles

And, if you are into the other A shoe company, I believe their 42N last (shoes and boots) is made to accommodate an orthotic but I have heard it runs narrow/short so keep that in mind.
Been looking at them......nothing jumps out at me yet. Need to sell some of what I have first.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just scratched the whiskey
View attachment 1481149
Brush and massage with deerbone. I did the same on a pair of Vibergs and brushed vigorously and used a deerbone to massage. Maybe even a dab of renovateur, but I found the brushing and deerbone did the most.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brush and massage with deerbone. I did the same on a pair of Vibergs and brushed vigorously and used a deerbone to massage. Maybe even a dab of renovateur, but I found the brushing and deerbone did the most.

And I picked the wrong brush coated with some old dark wax.
The toe is now with uneven color,. faint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads