• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean about fading, exactly. Darker shell colors tend to get lighter over time and lighter shell colors tend to get darker. Doesn't really have anything to do with whiskey, per se.

Right, so a worn in pair of whiskey turns brownish in the rolls and wears darker.

What if you stick that worn pair of "brownish" whiskey shoes in the sun? Can you lighten them to their former glory?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Not my eBay link but thought I'd share. Looks like a brand new mislabeled (but great price) pair of Alden x J. Crew longwings in color 8, if anyone is interested... Looks like 12D

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, so a worn in pair of whiskey turns brownish in the rolls and wears darker.

What if you stick that worn pair of "brownish" whiskey shoes in the sun? Can you lighten them to their former glory?

No, they'll just keep darkening. To my knowledge there isn't a tipping point that causes them to suddenly go back to being lighter again. Putting them in the sun just accelerates the darkening that would otherwise occur from normal wear.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, they'll just keep darkening. To my knowledge there isn't a tipping point that causes them to suddenly go back to being lighter again. Putting them in the sun just accelerates the darkening that would otherwise occur from normal wear.
So what we are finding out is that eventually everything winds up the same color. Of course, it may take a lifetime, so most of us will never find out if it is true or not.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cross Post from AE thread. Thanks to all who currently serve, and those who have served in our Armed Forces.
IMG_9600.jpeg

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I am curious as to why every other shell color seems to fade and whiskey is impervious! ;)

Those look extremely light still which I love.

Whose makeup is that and how old are they? I've seen the exact makeup from Alden of San Fran, Alden DC, and maybe one other place all bearing the same model #... 97285.
Yes that’s the one. I picked these up from Alden DC about five years ago. They are much darker than they used to be. Whiskey definitely changes color but they darken while color 8 and cigar lightens.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Those Ravello WT Boots are just magical Mr. G! Those look stellar on you bud!

Heading out to see Midway. No spoilers please. I want to see who wins.

View attachment 1276827

Those Snuff Indy Chukkas are just superb and look great on you! Very nice bud!

Sunday View attachment 1276848 Black Shell LHSez today post a beautiful lap swim ?‍♂️, we swim outdoors year round here. Rain, hail no problem.. lightning major problem..

Those are a great choice! Looking great. Lightning and water are not a good combination.

Newly acquired 405 Indys. Noticed a little hiccup in the stitching and what looks like a really thin little split in the welt. Cosmetically this one little spot doesnt bother me too bad but this isnt something that could affect the longevity of the boot or anything is it? I figure its nothing but wanted to be sure before i started wearing em

Should be fine and won't impact performance at all. That would be replaced whenever you resole the shoes.

View attachment 1276895
Reverse Tobacco Chamois Indy’s today on a beautiful fall day in North Carolina.

Jim, this is a great post! Great to see you out and enjoying your weekend with your pup. Not shabby use of the Indy Boots either...

Awesome looking Indy Boots and a really cool looking dragon fly.

Those NST Boots are looking just superb my friend! Love them!

The recent sun fading conversation has had me thinking...

I've seen what happens to whiskey shell as it ages... It darkens up quite a bit. Picture below courtesy of @mdubs
View attachment 1277182

What happens if you try to sun fade whiskey shell either when it's new or when it starts to darken like the photo above? Can you bring it back to its original honey color without the dark spots?

Savvy, all shades of Shell Cordovan approach the same medium brown color over time. Horween did an interesting article on this a while back... Whiskey and Ravello darken to it and Cigar and Color #8 fade to this shade. Most say that Black stays the same, but I would guess that with enough time, it would probably lose some pigment and go to the same shade as well.

Alden x JCrew longs to kick off the work week
View attachment 1277184 View attachment 1277183

Those Tan Calf Gunboats are looking just superb on you today my friend!

Don, those Navy NST Boots are just phenomenal! Looking great as always bud!

Hi gents,
I’ve purchased my first pair on Indy Boots and have a question. I’ve been wearing them for a few days and I’ve noticed what appears to be a nail coming through the insole by the heel cup of the right boot. Has anyone had similar issues? I purchased them from the Shoe Mart . Thanks
Patrick

Patrick, I may need some eye adjustments, but I don't see the aforementioned nail. However, if there is a nail in them poking through, I would contact TheShoeMart. They will get it squared away for you, no problem.

DC, those Grain CT Boots are looking just stellar on you today bud! Very nicely done!

Jim, those Madison King Tankers are looking just phenomenal on you today! Awesome work!

Looking great today in your boots, are those Black Suede? Having a hard time figuring it out... :)

Beautiful Cigar CT Boots today Matt. Those guys are looking just great and have an amazing color on them!

@savvysartorial i don’t think you can go back the lighter, honey color of whiskey. I’m wearing my whiskey wingtip oxfords (bals) today. They have been sun faded over the years... View attachment 1277208 View attachment 1277209

RTP, those Whiskey WT Balmorals are looking just phenomenal. Those have such a beautiful shade on them!

Snowing like crazy outside, so staying in a doing some boot brushing. These guys are next! View attachment 1277333

Those Plain Toe Boots are looking just amazing on you. Love the broguing around the ankle. Awesome!

Black Shell today honoring all those who have fought for our freedom. Thank you men and women, you are appreciated and loved. View attachment 1277337

Looking absolutely great today in your Black Shell Tassels! Very nicely done!

-Mike

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those Ravello WT Boots are just magical Mr. G! Those look stellar on you bud!

Those Snuff Indy Chukkas are just superb and look great on you! Very nice bud!

Those are a great choice! Looking great. Lightning and water are not a good combination.

Should be fine and won't impact performance at all. That would be replaced whenever you resole the shoes.

Jim, this is a great post! Great to see you out and enjoying your weekend with your pup. Not shabby use of the Indy Boots either...

Awesome looking Indy Boots and a really cool looking dragon fly.

Those NST Boots are looking just superb my friend! Love them!

Savvy, all shades of Shell Cordovan approach the same medium brown color over time. Horween did an interesting article on this a while back... Whiskey and Ravello darken to it and Cigar and Color #8 fade to this shade. Most say that Black stays the same, but I would guess that with enough time, it would probably lose some pigment and go to the same shade as well.

Those Tan Calf Gunboats are looking just superb on you today my friend!

Don, those Navy NST Boots are just phenomenal! Looking great as always bud!

Patrick, I may need some eye adjustments, but I don't see the aforementioned nail. However, if there is a nail in them poking through, I would contact TheShoeMart. They will get it squared away for you, no problem.

DC, those Grain CT Boots are looking just stellar on you today bud! Very nicely done!

Jim, those Madison King Tankers are looking just phenomenal on you today! Awesome work!

Looking great today in your boots, are those Black Suede? Having a hard time figuring it out... :)

Beautiful Cigar CT Boots today Matt. Those guys are looking just great and have an amazing color on them!

RTP, those Whiskey WT Balmorals are looking just phenomenal. Those have such a beautiful shade on them!

Those Plain Toe Boots are looking just amazing on you. Love the broguing around the ankle. Awesome!

Looking absolutely great today in your Black Shell Tassels! Very nicely done!

-Mike
Thanks Mike, yes the Brogue are Black suede, can't remember what Mack called them, but they are black suede on Commando.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,
I’ve purchased my first pair on Indy Boots and have a question. I’ve been wearing them for a few days and I’ve noticed what appears to be a nail coming through the insole by the heel cup of the right boot. Has anyone had similar issues? I purchased them from the Shoe Mart . Thanks
Patrick

Not a nail - it’s a glob of glue that’s hardened up into a ball.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those King PTBs are looking great and agree that the B width looks pretty amazing.

-Mike

Thanks, Mike. The Barrie last is so wide... I’m surprised more people don’t wear their normal size in a B or C width as opposed to sizing down (ie wearing a 10.5 D instead of an 11). Although I also know all too well how challenging it can be to find narrow widths.

AHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics