• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snuff Indy's.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the unlined Dover differ from the Plain Toe Blucher? Besides being unlined, obviously.

Looks like a bit more shapely/dressy toe, despite being on the Barrie last (both of them).

The unlined dovers are unlined in the vamp but also unstructured in the toe, plus the flex sole. They're overall a much much lighter and more flexible shoe.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

I see the stitching difference between the two on the side panel of the derby (see photo). The toebox looks flatter and more pointed in the derby.

I am not sure I see a difference in the rear besides that stitch I mentioned.
View attachment 1244044

I suppose you could dress the derby up a bit whereas the PTB is what it is?

The stitch is necessary because the upper of a derby is formed by two separate rear quarters that are sewn together on top of the vamp. A blucher isn't crafted this way. Instead, the upper on a blucher is made from one cut (stitched at the heel) and eyelet tabs are typically sewn on the top.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The unlined dovers are unlined in the vamp but also unstructured in the toe, plus the flex sole. They're overall a much much lighter and more flexible shoe.

I've heard the partially lined front makes them like a slipper. How do they age and wear without the structure and help of the lining to support them?

The stitch is necessary because the upper of a derby is formed by two separate rear quarters that are sewn together on top of the vamp. A blucher isn't crafted this way. Instead, the upper on a blucher is made from one cut (stitched at the heel) and eyelet tabs are typically sewn on the top.

That makes sense with the derby. I see after looking at photos how it all comes together.

The blucher is literally one massive piece of shell with two small pieces for eyelets sewn on that large piece.

Thanks for explaining. The derby looks a fair bit sleeker, despite still being on blobby Barrie :)

Xenos

Reaction score
The question is, does anyone make the Dutton derby on the Hampton last in shell? That would be an ideal shoe!

HealthActuary

Reaction score
My brand new Alden army. All 3 shoes experienced their maiden voyage in the past 7 days!!! All of them are comfy, but the chukkas are beyond feeling like slippers. They’ll only get better as they break in!

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My brand new Alden army. All 3 shoes experienced had their maiden voyage in the past 7 days!!! All of them are comfy, but the chukkas are beyond feeling like slippers. They’ll only get better as they break in! View attachment 1244218
NIce collection, my eyes go directly to the Natty Indy boots.......mmmmmmmm

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it on but Steve at Gentlemen's Footwear explained it to me like this. He said that many Asian men have wider forefeet and slimmer heels, the 379x is designed with that in mind. It is full in the vamp area like a Barrie or TB while slimming down much more in the heel area. He said a lot of guys have to go up in width in the Barrie to fit the forefoot but then their heel is too loose. I believe he said the forefoot could be closely compared to the Barrie, not quite as wide as the TB.

As Asian I could wear 7.5D Barrie with slightly loose heel, 7.5D TB but 7.5D 379x is tight at ball for me, need stretch.

By far the best fit still 7.5E Leydon and 7.5D Copley. Modified’s arch support is too over.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm watching re-runs of Forensic Files, and the blood spatter on the shoes is blood spatter on pair of Aldens. Funny what we notice in TV shows...

Probably the actors own wardrobe. I hope they got a pay bump for it lol. AE’s are about the best I’ve been able to sign out on big budget stuff. I have destroyed a pair of my own brand new boots (not Alden’s) on a mid budget shoot.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm watching re-runs of Forensic Files, and the blood spatter on the shoes is blood spatter on pair of Aldens. Funny what we notice in TV shows...
Probably the actors own wardrobe. I hope they got a pay bump for it lol. AE’s are about the best I’ve been able to sign out on big budget stuff. I have destroyed a pair of my own brand new boots (not Alden’s) on a mid budget shoot.

A screen shot from the Sopranos. Check the Allen Edmonds heel worn by Ralph. Tony Soprano has also been shown getting stuff from his closet with an AE box on the top shelf.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A screen shot from the Sopranos. Check the Allen Edmonds heel worn by Ralph. Tony Soprano has also been shown getting stuff from his closet with an AE box on the top shelf.

View attachment 1244238
If they’re showing the branded box, it’s likely product placement unless a fair portion, I think at least 20%, of the logo was obscured. Thanks to Mike Tyson’s face tattoo artist for this treatment of logo’s with regards to licensing agreements now. I was watching Amazon’s Bosch recently where his partner mentions a pair of To Boot New York shoes. The Bond franchise with Crocket & Jones Islay boot and Church’s Westminster (iirc) single monks... Of course we all know what is arguably the most successful footwear promotion in film and tv history, the Alden Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads