• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double incoming next week. Pre ordered Brogue Terra Nova boots and a stock model, unlined Snuff LHS. This will be my first try with the Van last, hoping they work with my instep, as I would really like to take them on vacation in March.
If the Patriot works for you, you'll probably be ok. Did you go half down from your Pat size? I like the Van because it has lower instep volume like the Patriot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There really isn't anything special down here for Alden. I wouldn't even bother looking. Sandals will be the normal wear, though it has been "cold" down here. You might see people in overly wintery getups because anything lower than 70 it freezing to most. I haven't ventured down to the keys since the hurricane season 2017. Should be plenty of seafood offerings around. Enjoy the trip!
Below 70 is freezing? Do they even sell winter coats in the stores? Shearling lined boots must not be a very good seller in Fla.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There really isn't anything special down here for Alden. I wouldn't even bother looking. Sandals will be the normal wear, though it has been "cold" down here. You might see people in overly wintery getups because anything lower than 70 it freezing to most. I haven't ventured down to the keys since the hurricane season 2017. Should be plenty of seafood offerings around. Enjoy the trip!

Thanks, are you in Miami?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, are you in Miami?
Ft. Lauderdale, but when people ask I just say Miami most of the time. People only ever know Miami or DISNEY.

Below 70 is freezing? Do they even sell winter coats in the stores? Shearling lined boots must not be a very good seller in Fla.

Sure they do. You'd be surprised. I frequently find myself wondering when people that live here are wearing that stuff though. As for shearling lined boots, do Uggs count? The ladies sure do love those ridiculous looking things.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ft. Lauderdale, but when people ask I just say Miami most of the time. People only ever know Miami or DISNEY.
My niece works for Disney so been to that area of Florida many times. Have a friend who is in Jacksonville, so when I go to visit niece meet him in Daytona. Also have a friend in Palm, and it's fun to go there but my God are the stores "expensive". Going down to Disney area in March, maybe a shoe meet-up with you Florida guys?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My niece works for Disney so been to that area of Florida many times. Have a friend who is in Jacksonville, so when I go to visit niece meet him in Daytona. Also have a friend in Palm, and it's fun to go there but my God are the stores "expensive". Going down to Disney area in March, maybe a shoe meet-up with you Florida guys?

If I'm near Disney could work. Yea West Palm certainly has some pricey areas/stores. Still, nice footwear down here is a rarity. I've seen or noticed at least, MAYBE, 5 pairs of AEs. Oh @up1911fan there is a John Lobb in the Miami Design District.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I'm near Disney could work. Yea West Palm certainly has some pricey areas/stores. Still, nice footwear down here is a rarity. I've seen or noticed at least, MAYBE, 5 pairs of AEs. Oh @up1911fan there is a John Lobb in the Miami Design District.
We would be willing to travel a bit, can't stand Bro-in-law(late sister's husband) for very long :) We will be renting a car, so can drive.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double incoming next week. Pre ordered Brogue Terra Nova boots and a stock model, unlined Snuff LHS. This will be my first try with the Van last, hoping they work with my instep, as I would really like to take them on vacation in March.

By the way, its the Terranova Boot. Not Terra Nova boot.

Named after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terranova_da_Sibari

Enjoy it!

Cheers.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I knew this day would come eventually, I am finally joining the Alden club.

I never managed to get near a store so always apprehensive about my size from reading. Not wanting to take a several hundred dollar chance I been on the sidelines.

But then this years thread (that I have been following for years) started by @mdubs tweaked my interest. Just seeing the thread starting out with all the sizing details and info I said I have to make a move in 2019.

So I decided I wanted a PTB or a chukka and started to look around. Also I'm solid 10D so looking on the Barrie last reading all the advice on page one I decided 9.5 was the way to go (hopefully).

Further I decided I would start out with a pre owned pair (sounds so much better than used). I set some goals, no loose stitching, no cracks, shell in good shape, interior and footbed in good condition, prefer original sole even if in need of replacement. So that sets the stage for a good shoe that is possibly in need of restoration. I checked the Alden site and it says full restoration $175 seeing what is done seems reasonable.

So this 1339 shell chukka pops up and the bid is $150 and yea it's in a little need of some TLC but figure if I can get it around 200ish send it for full restoration for about $400 I have a dam near new boot.

So I watch and end up winning and I'm in $230 with shipping (eta this Sat).

Some pics right off the bay... View attachment 1108774 View attachment 1108775 View attachment 1108776 View attachment 1108777

I'm going to assume they will fit me well based on all the info provided here. From the pics if you zoom in looks like the original sole and maybe heel too. Looking at the date code I'm thinking Feb 2011, so if I'm right not to old. Also the inside heel pad still has the writing well visible and wear looks min so all this makes me think in a little sad shape but maybe not worn that much and original soles?

Looking at the Alden restorations seems they replace the inside heel pad with a new one that says restoration. So being the sole looks Alden and the heel pad seems original that's what makes me think all original. Maybe someone can confirm if Alden always replaces the heel pad or not.

Anyways looking fwd to them and hoping they fit well. Assuming so already ordered the Alden restoration pkg and they will get sent right off. Hoping they can get them all freshened up and looking like new. So if all goes well I'm in just a nick over $400 and the boots should be in fully restored like new condition.

One of the reasons I decided that Alden was the best choice for the restore is this was an ebay purchase, so I have only the boots. Alden restoration gets me factory restoration on original last, shoe box, shoe bags, shoe trees. So I'm thinking this really brings the ebay purchased used boots full circle. Further reasonable condition 1339's (ones not in need of restorations) easily sell for $500 on ebay, so this makes me think I am doing ok.

All thoughts and comments welcome.
These should restore up nicely. I actually love the shade of 8 on these. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the fit.

AMD500

Reaction score
As promise,
20190117_180028.jpg
Work Boots! To be fair they were in the office most of the day. Great thing about natty chrome is that when I get home and give them a good brushing, all them scratches disappear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads