1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Dec 31, 2018.

1. DWH

DWH Senior Member

So how did you choose your size and what size did you choose?

2. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

I took an 11.5C. The published advice is to use the same size as Barrie/TB. The descriptions I saw said the last is comparatively more tapered/fitted behind the toe box. That's what gave me hope for a decent fit with really low instep.

3. DWH

DWH Senior Member

Well it’s too bad they look awful on you. Just send them my way and I should be able to make them work. Ugh.

4. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

Good point. I'll drop by the post office this afternoon.
    ;)

5. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

It looks like BB still has plenty in stock of the LHS anyway. I picked up a pair in 8.5D but I think they will be too small. I've tried 9D lined and its good width but little long, 8.5E lined is good (tad bit of heel slip but I think will break in just fine). Hoping the unlined 8.5D will do the trick but if not, at least it is returnable.

6. DWH

DWH Senior Member

I wonder how many of us are expecting a BB Alden pair this week. My black LHS in 12B is arriving day after tomorrow. I own a pair in 11.5B which I loved because it was the first pair not to slip but it’s uncomfortable to wear for too long which I assume is due to it being a tad too narrow and short. Hoping 12 B will fix it.

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Tuesday forum pals. #8 cap toe bluchers. A nice little shoe that does not seem to be terribly common on the thread.

IMG_4450.jpg
    IMG_4448.jpg

8. JSO1

JSO1 Distinguished Member

Right, in my experience it has a wide, low toe box (rounder and wider than Barrie), kind of like Trubalance, but then is noticeably narrower through the middle of the foot and instep, all the way back into the heel. Not quite as narrow in the middle/instep and not quite as much arch support as Modified (which has too much arch support for my somewhat flatter feet). Almost like Trubalance up front, Modified in the heel, and somewhere in between them in the midfoot/instep.

9. FibroblastsMakeLeather

FibroblastsMakeLeather Senior Member

Not wearing Alden's today, but wearing Carmina's. I did do maintenance on them last night, so hopefully my next photos will be more akin to the standards on this thread.

10. Don L

Don L Distinguished Member

EC36813F-3FFA-4163-8CF3-7E3306901049.jpeg DC Cigar Caps

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

Something rarely seen around these parts, #8 shortwings from BB:
    [​IMG]
    Funny, these have lightened in the rear quarters and darkened up front.

12. 89826

89826 Senior Member

I bought my first pair of Alden shell shoes from Brooks around 1982. They were the unlined penny loafers, and the price was about $80 if memory serves. I remember my dad (Harvard PhD) saying, "How could shoes cost that much?"

I had never heard of Alden, didn't know it made the shoes, and didn't know what shell cordovan leather was. I just liked the look.

Sometime in the late 1980's, I learned that Alden had a restoration program. That opened the floodgates- all reservations about buying these expensive shoes were swept away. I could use them freely and have them renewed by the maker- not butchered by a local cobbler. That is a great service by Alden and a brilliant marketing program too. It appeals to New England thriftiness and is a balm for the high price.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

13. Aarondb4

Aarondb4 Active Member

Yes they have a commando sole, not sure which model number they are but they are from B&M. Yenni currently has a pre-order available for them until the 23rd. Quickly becoming some of my favorites, I wore them multiple times last week.

https://www.brickmortarseattle.com/style-1/001-high-boot-template-hppkw

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Pix? :)

15. gilby

gilby Senior Member

Those turned out fantastic!