• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's...uh...Naval Tuesday... or something
PN0CuHx.jpg

Perfect day for moleskin...
Beautiful shade of shell and pairs really well with the antique edges. Huge win.

Redvello and Limoncello are both possible in DV’s yard.

jnik

Reaction score
So my BB LHSs just arrived. Question on loafer fit, length is spot on, no heel slip and plenty of toe room, but there is pressure across the bridge of my foot. Nothing I would consider pain but enough to prevent me from wearing if it persists. So the question is, is this a normal loafer break in or a shoe that just doesn't fit as well as or it should? For reference, I am wearing my TB/Barrie size and it is a van last. Thanks

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my BB LHSs just arrived. Question on loafer fit, length is spot on, no heel slip and plenty of toe room, but there is pressure across the bridge of my foot. Nothing I would consider pain but enough to prevent me from wearing if it persists. So the question is, is this a normal loafer break in or a shoe that just doesn't fit as well as or it should? For reference, I am wearing my TB/Barrie size and it is a van last. Thanks

I will say that the vamp is typically the only part of the shoe that will break in over time, and that unlined shell in particular will break in much more readily than lined shell will. Van may just not be the right fit for you, though. It's an interesting last.

jnik

Reaction score
I will say that the vamp is typically the only part of the shoe that will break in over time, and that unlined shell in particular will break in much more readily than lined shell will. Van may just not be the right fit for you, though. It's an interesting last.

It is strictly the vamp, and is slightly better standing than sitting. I would say I haven't had a good fitting loafer as most have felt good at first and progressed to a sloppy fit, so I am trying to avoid that fate

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to select a model to purchase. Maybe maybe maybe two. This is an incredibly difficult task when you only have three Aldens.

The Brooks LHS is so tempting at the price and considering its endangered status, but it seems like that’s not the smartest choice for pair number four when I already own one Brooks loafer and zero boots. Also my limited experience trying on the Van last LHS suggests I might require a strange size.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am trying to select a model to purchase. Maybe maybe maybe two. This is an incredibly difficult task when you only have three Aldens.

The Brooks LHS is so tempting at the price and considering its endangered status, but it seems like that’s not the smartest choice for pair number four when I already own one Brooks loafer and zero boots. Also my limited experience trying on the Van last LHS suggests I might require a strange size.
YOU need INDY boots........

johnnymiz

Reaction score
YOU need INDY boots........

+1

you live in a place where boots can be worn half the year but dont have any.
you need some Indys.. then maybe a pair you can slide under less casual attire like some perf cap toes

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My vote goes to an Indy or a Tanker. Both are distinctive and classic Alden boot styles and are extremely versatile. I believe Gentlemen's Footwear may be re-ordering the natural CXL Tanker on Barrie you were looking at previously if you're still interested in that makeup.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of us are expecting a BB Alden pair this week. My black LHS in 12B is arriving day after tomorrow. I own a pair in 11.5B which I loved because it was the first pair not to slip but it’s uncomfortable to wear for too long which I assume is due to it being a tad too narrow and short. Hoping 12 B will fix it.
they sell B widths? every time I've looked its D only

fourdoggies

Reaction score
Got an email this morning from TSM about some pre-orders, not enough detail (sole, welt) but they may have something like what you want, a few color 8's on the pre-order list. Give them a call :)

I have gotten like 3 emails from TSM in the last couple weeks about pre-orders, new Aldens in stock, etc. And every time I see a new TSM email come in, I hold my breath for just a second hoping they're offering me a whiskey boot. No dice so far.

Hmm - No. I dont think so - I have a pair of Hamptons that fit quite differently. Could it be modified? THanks

That was my first thought based solely on the appearance, but the width of the shoe and the angle of the photo are deceiving in that it makes the front look bigger in relation to the rear. Other than emailing Alden like suggested, maybe check Moulded Shoe to see if they have a similar shoe in the modified last?

Edit: I think it's just a deceiving pic. It doesn't really seem to similar to the shots here:

https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/shop

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they sell B widths? every time I've looked its D only
They carry an array of widths in the black and burgundy smooth leathers. Color 8 shell LHS is down to D only at this point. So, black shell LHS, shell tassel and black/burgundy shell tassel and maybe even the full strap penny all have narrow widths in some sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads