• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Copley last? Brogue in CA suggests that Copley wears the same as Barrie when worn with a sock.... Their link is below. Can anyone help me out here to give their advice?

Thanks!

Good Lord, how thick of socks do they think people wear- 1/2 size difference socks vs no socks.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Lord, how thick of socks do they think people wear- 1/2 size difference socks vs no socks.

:paranoia: No idea!

I've heard Copley and Van are similar, though. It doesn't seem to be a popular last. I know at least one guy here has the above mentioned shoe because he posted them this year after he went on a loafer buying frenzy... Anyone?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago (and the rest of Illinois - I'm 2 hours south of Chi-town) is stupidly cold today. Get out of Chicago before the weekend as local guy is saying snow is possible, but being Illinois, the snow will follow freezing rain.........
Yeah - were outta here tomorrow...

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey shell, 1999 production (left) vs 2019 production (right).

The 1999 shoe is from a trial shoe pair (one off sample pair for testing/production purposes).

D5FC297A-046D-44C7-A5F6-A28337C5DFBB.jpeg

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:paranoia: No idea!

I've heard Copley and Van are similar, though. It doesn't seem to be a popular last. I know at least one guy here has the above mentioned shoe because he posted them this year after he went on a loafer buying frenzy... Anyone?
I have tassel loafers in Aberdeen and Copley, both same size.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Copley is TTS not Barrie sizing

So Brogue's sizing advice is wrong? You'd take Copley in the same size as Hampton, Plaza, & Aberdeen? Brogue is saying same size as Barrie. Very confused :crazy:

What about a Copley loafer? Half size down from TTS? I was told from an Alden stockist that for example on Plaza loafers you would step half size down to avoid heel slip. I think @madhat has done that before, too. Wouldn't Copley follow the same process?

Whiskey shell, 1999 production (left) vs 2019 production (right).

The 1999 shoe is from a trial shoe pair (one off sample pair for testing/production purposes).

View attachment 1296737

Wow those are both amazing. How did you manage to get access to the 1999 pair?

Dang it.... This is really throwing a wrench into my plans....

I really appreciate the sizing info. Based on the last chart this makes total sense since they are all similar shapes, etc.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Brogue's sizing advice is wrong? You'd take Copley in the same size as Hampton, Plaza, & Aberdeen? Brogue is saying same size as Barrie. Very confused :crazy:

What about a Copley loafer? Half size down from TTS? I was told from an Alden stockist that for example on Plaza loafers you would step half size down to avoid heel slip. I think @madhat has done that before, too. Wouldn't Copley follow the same process?

I really appreciate the sizing info. Based on the last chart this makes total sense since they are all similar shapes, etc.

TSM stocks a few different loafers in Copley and has a good return policy. I'd probably take that route before considering a preorder or something on a loafer given how hard they can be to size.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brogue’s advice regarding Copley and Tremont is too aggressive. For most people those lasts fit TTS.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Copley is TTS not Barrie sizing

Brogue’s advice regarding Copley and Tremont is too aggressive. For most people those lasts fit TTS.
FWIW, Yenni has me going TTS in a copley loafer, and ½ size down in a plaza loafer.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TSM stocks a few different loafers in Copley and has a good return policy. I'd probably take that route before considering a preorder or something on a loafer given how hard they can be to size.

Thank you. I will take this option and see what I can do. The only problem is my TTS is probably not stocked at the TSM (11.5C). Alden sizing can be a pain for some of these odd lasts.

Thanks, I trust you. I wonder why they are so aggressive?

Also, you think that Tremont fits a bit large? I've read it's like 1/4 size larger than TTS. Do you find that to be the case?

FWIW, Yenni has me going TTS in a copley loafer, and ½ size down in a plaza loafer.

Well it seems like the jury has settled it. Copley is TTS it seems. My dreams of a Copley preorder are quickly being shot down :p

Plaza loafer sizing seems to be spot on. Do you have laceup Plaza too that is TTS?

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, down a half you say... I’m considering my first plaza loafer.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I did, incredulously initially, at Yenni's suggestion. I also would still recommend starting with Copley TTS unless you're on the small end of your size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics