• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goodness this is a fast-moving thread. Miss a few days and @Misterg12 and @jpm1 drop a serious bomb on us. Could not happen to a better pair of dudes. As someone else mentioned earlier, @jpm1 sold me one of my first pair of shells a few years ago. He was a good dude back then and nothing has changed.

Never been an entrepreneur but my guess is that it is full of peaks and valleys and a lot of hard work. As @SpooPoker said, enjoy the ride. If anyone can do this, it is the two of you. Congrats guys. We'll all be pulling for you!!!!
Thanks so much, Shawn! Matt and I are beyond excited about it.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My goodness this is a fast-moving thread. Miss a few days and @Misterg12 and @jpm1 drop a serious bomb on us. Could not happen to a better pair of dudes. As someone else mentioned earlier, @jpm1 sold me one of my first pair of shells a few years ago. He was a good dude back then and nothing has changed.

Never been an entrepreneur but my guess is that it is full of peaks and valleys and a lot of hard work. As @SpooPoker said, enjoy the ride. If anyone can do this, it is the two of you. Congrats guys. We'll all be pulling for you!!!!
not only pulling for you, but more than likely buying Alden's from you :)

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, after maligning the dark shade of color 8 these days, I’ve found myself really really liking it. To the point that I might actually prefer it to cigar. I wear so much navy as it is, and color 8 looks better with navy pants than brown IMO.

Nothing earth shattering. Just announcing that I’m falling in love.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, after maligning the dark shade of color 8 these days, I’ve found myself really really liking it. To the point that I might actually prefer it to cigar. I wear so much navy as it is, and color 8 looks better with navy pants than brown IMO.

Nothing earth shattering. Just announcing that I’m falling in love.
It is nice with navy, although in certain light, mine look almost black to my eye.

MacDuff

Reaction score
Gents!

It's been a bit too long since I last posted, but I've come to deliver on some promises (sort of) and then some.

This morning I had received the 405s that I've been pining over for some time now. Now, I'm gonna share some pictures, and while I'm over the moon that I got them, I've run into something that might possibly be a structural flaw or a cosmetic one. I don't really know, which is why I need your wisdom here before I attempt to even try them on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Until now, everything looks great!

Then I turn the boots to look at the soles (this is the case for both boots):

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It might be hard to tell from the last two photos, but it feels like the sole was sanded at an angle, bringing the stitching pretty darn close to the edges.

My questions is: is this a structural flaw and a deal-breaker, or is it mostly cosmetic and won't affect the longevity of the boots/soles.

Many thanks,
Duff

baromatic

Reaction score
Gents!

It's been a bit too long since I last posted, but I've come to deliver on some promises (sort of) and then some.

This morning I had received the 405s that I've been pining over for some time now. Now, I'm gonna share some pictures, and while I'm over the moon that I got them, I've run into something that might possibly be a structural flaw or a cosmetic one. I don't really know, which is why I need your wisdom here before I attempt to even try them on.

View attachment 994760
View attachment 994759

View attachment 994761 View attachment 994762 View attachment 994764
View attachment 994765

It might be hard to tell from the last two photos, but it feels like the sole was sanded at an angle, bringing the stitching pretty darn close to the edges.

My questions is: is this a structural flaw and a deal-breaker, or is it mostly cosmetic and won't affect the longevity of the boots/soles.

Many thanks,
Duff

First off congratulations on getting exactly what you want.

When I look at the angle it really doesn’t bother me. In fact, it could save me from tripping over the toes.

You have an great boot and it’s neither a defect or really anything to worry yourself over the long run. I’d say, just enjoy the feeling of finally getting what you wanted. :)

MacDuff

Reaction score
First off congratulations on getting exactly what you want.

When I look at the angle it really doesn’t bother me. In fact, it could save me from tripping over the toes.

You have an great boot and it’s neither a defect or really anything to worry yourself over the long run. I’d say, just enjoy the feeling of finally getting what you wanted. :)

That's precisely what I want to know, though:

Structurally speaking, should I be worried about how close the stitching is to the edges of the sole, or is completely fine and nothing will happen?

Because if the soles are gonna be fine, and nothing will happen to the boot after long-term, normal wear, then I'm more than happy to keep them.

AMD500

Reaction score
Gents!

View attachment 994760
View attachment 994759

View attachment 994765

Many thanks,
Duff

I would return, as I think your concerns are valid. This is probably the most readily available boot model, so you should be able to get a replacement easily. Just my 2cents.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents!

View attachment 994760
View attachment 994759

View attachment 994765

Many thanks,
Duff

Congrats. They're a wonderful pair of boots! First thing ill say, nothing in the pictures indicate a structural issue. I would say the stitching on the sole is a nonissue and to be honest, i've seen far worse. In reference to the edge sanding being done at an awkward angle, well, thats your call. I personally wouldn't think twice about keeping them since its the toe and never going to be noticed on foot. When it comes to original indy boots you never know what you're gonna get, you know, box of chocolates...

I received 3 pairs of 405s and every one had some sort of blemish and all I would consider more severe than the above.

Put them on and enjoy! :slayer:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Sunday gang. Alden x H. Stockton Whiskey. I absolutely love these shoes.

View attachment 994834

Hey, that's the really well-dressed guy who co-owns that amazing Alden shoe shop, is what people will soon be saying. A shot of Sunday morning whiskey is completely appropriate. Well done as usual M-12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads