• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you familiar with me from the AE thread, you're used to this kind of post. For the rest of you, well, sorry. Airing out my thoughts on this adventure into a new brand.

This is a gentle, friendly, helpful and welcoming group - no worries my AE brother. ;)

Spending a little time here and here trying on these Alden x Brooks Brothers tan suede Dovers. Boy, oh boy, these are nice shoes. My conscience keeps nagging at me though because I have a pair of Allen Edmonds x Club Monaco Leeds in Milkshake suede that are essentially the same shoe, though not as nice (even though they're not bad at all). These Aldens were obtained at a pretty decent discount, but still come in at double what I paid for the Allen Edmonds. So, I'm debating whether I keep these Aldens and either have two interchangeable shoes in the collection or try to offload the Allen Edmonds... OR I return these knowing that I made some progress toward my objective of determining my Alden Barrie last size, accumulate some more funds, and then go "all in" with a style that would be more unique in my collection although probably not at all discounted. While I can't complain, I don't find my self in the kind of situation where I have more disposable income than ideas for spending it. Compromises must be made.

On the keep vs. return question, I guess it depends on how much you'll wear them. Given that price and some offset from the AE's, I'd be tempted to keep them. Knowing how much you love your Fulltertons, I can see those getting a ton of wear for at least two and a half seasons. If not, I'd probably go with the pair that costs you less (assuming it fits well) and return the Aldens, putting that money away for the pair you really like. Realize though that sales on Alden (especially at the level of discount you got from Brooks) are far less common than on AE, so you'll have to be very patient and ready to strike as soon as you see a deal, or wind up paying full price or close to it most of the time.

Some alternatives that won't compromise quality:
- The ShoeMart has seconds that are usually really good
- The ShoeMart has a JC Cole house-brand that are excellent quality and price deal (and I think they're still running their $100-off promo using the "DAN100" code)
- I've filled some slots with Grant Stone and they're just fantastic

1) does this cushion compress over time to the point where it doesn't seem so obviously there?
Yes.

2) do all of the Alden models include this rectangular heel pad/cushion? Just want to know what I'm getting myself into.
I think so, but you're probably a single wear or a few at the most for the lining to mold to your heel, and it has never been a painful process.

What do you suppose one could expect to fetch on eBay (or similar) for a NIB pair of Alden x Brooks Brothers tan suede Dovers, net.
Since they're a bit of a niche shoe that isn't rare/hard to get, I don't think even a NiB auction is net positive for you after eBay and PP fees. I'd stick with the keep/return calculus.

My $0.02

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like there's a place in San Diego called Gentlemen's Footwear.

http://www.gentlemensfootwear.com

Perhaps you could call them to see if they stock any Indy boots in your size for you to try on. I have no experience with this retailer since I, too, am new to Alden.

@steveyoo1983 runs Gentlemens Footwear. He's a member here at SF and a great retailer, honest, honorable, knowledgeable, etc.. Deal with Steve with confidence.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting maintenance supplies in order. Had to get the burgundy from across the pond. Lol!
20180228_181812-1.jpg

brokensf

Reaction score
Snuff chukkas (10D Leydon) showed up today from Leffot pre-owned. This is my first Leydon shoe and they fit well in my same Barrie size (10D). They feel a bit looser in the heel than the lined barrie chukkas that I have, but I think that's partly because they have less structure. I like them a lot and they're really comfy.

alden_snuff_chukkas.jpg

feathers73

Reaction score
Just got some new Indy’s in brown. This pair is different from a pair I had 15 years ago. The leather seems smoother, not as reddish and the lining is leather not cloth. Is this normal? I do love them and sizing from 12d to 11.5d worked out perfect. Thanks

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me again. Here’s a picture of my feet in the Alden x BB Dovers.
6F79138F-8C72-4ACC-A6A4-C03F41453ABF.jpeg

You can see my pinky toes popping out a bit, but to me the shoe feels really good. I think I have the duck feet mentioned earlier on the thread. Any issue with this from your perspective or is this looking like a good size for me based on this single photo? Thanks!

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me again. Here’s a picture of my feet in the Alden x BB Dovers.
View attachment 933651
You can see my pinky toes popping out a bit, but to me the shoe feels really good. I think I have the duck feet mentioned earlier on the thread. Any issue with this from your perspective or is this looking like a good size for me based on this single photo? Thanks!
I believe BB have a pretty lenient 90 day return policy if you want to deliberate a while.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe BB have a pretty lenient 90 day return policy if you want to deliberate a while.
I was told 60 days on the phone, but I didn’t bother verifying online. I’m worried to keep them on my feet for too long during a given fitting session so as to not cause any signs of wear. But then again I want to wear them a lot. And historically most of my issues with shoes only reveal themselves after a few hours long stretch spent in the shoes which includes walking. Well I’m bound to take full advantage of the generous return window.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F11A66B3-AAA8-4724-9EDE-1D1B7FCE23FA.jpeg
These are so solid. They feel like a boot. Classic King Chukka. I've had them in other rare colors but always come back to these. I guess in the long run color 8 is what has drawn me to this line forever, it just patina's the best over the years in my humble experience.

Baseball is thankfully back gentlemen.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, so much information to intake for a newbie. I have been reading and reading and love the shop talk in all your experience being displayed. I am approaching my first purchase and want it to be the Indy shell #8 in TB last (as I guess they will more likely come with it) I am a TTS 12D. So what would be the best suggestion before I hate myself on getting the wrong size and blow even more money on returning a pair that didn't fit, then have to wait even longer to get the dream pair I want. Would you all say to head to a Jcrew store and try on an Indy? Does a store even let you try one on? Is that even possible?, I don't live near SanFran to get to a Alden store. Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance.
11.5d should set you straight.

With thinner socks, after D width has broken in, you might have a little extra space so might need to toss an insole in or just deal with it (like I do, could have gone C width but wanted option to wear thicker socks in colder months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads